Sell all your slr's

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
According to Canon my 1Dx2 and 7D2 will be obsolete within a year.
By all accounts they will be replaced with mirror-less versions.

I think the writing has been on the wall for some time.

Not much point in a mirror and a prism when electronic viewfinders are so good.

Did they specifically say ‘they will be obselete’.

I find it very hard to believe they will bring out a FF mirrorless and immediately turn their back on DSLR, that would be absolutely farcical.

They will still do the same job they do now.

I don’t Canon’s first generation mirrorless will be so good that we’ll all be selling our DSLR.

That would be some achievement if they could knock out a killer mirrorless in their first try.

EOS-M mount don’t count!

I was saying this was going to happen two years ago and was laughed at.
There are so many advantages for the manufacturer, is has to happen.
But while peoples DSLRS might be obsolescent they will still be as good as they ever were
however spares and repairs will soon be a problem. as they will no longer be made.

how long has the slr been around.. there must be a good reason for this

Lots of reasons, most (if not all) not valid anymore.
It's been the same story since wet plate.

SLR's have been around since the 19th century and Glass plates.
Ever since people have been looking other options. A moving mirror is an expensive and a weak design point in every way. And is the cause of a majority of DSLR's focussing and reliability problems.
Cameras with out mirrors have always been more reliable.
Now that Mirrorless has caught up in the speed of focus and refresh rate, at least in the best models. and is superior in many other areas, there is no longer a reason not to move to mirrorless.

I can't believe Nikon will be far behind.
It will give a headache to the various independent lens makers. unless the camera makers give them access to the camera firmware data, for controlling Focus aperture and anti shake. and the ability to add their lenses to the firmware bank of aberration corrections.

Have you a link to their Press Announcement? Or was it Canon rumours ;)

I do prefer OVF myself having used a fair number of EVF's.I find it less strain on the eyes,XT2 is the best EVF ive used

Well, my hardly used 1dx2 a cfast card and reader can now be had for a very reasonable price.
I'm with the rats when the ship goes down, or possibly women and children.

You’re quickly jumping ship because some Canon rep told you they will be obselete?

I’d hang fire if I were you. Neither Canon or Nikon have ever released a half decent mirrorless. There is still very little info about them doing this. It will likely be very expensive and they aren’t likely to release an A9 standard mirrorless immediately. Let alone lenses.

DSLRs still outsell mirrorless. There is no doubt mirrorless are great and if I had the money I would have a Sony A7III and Sony lenses immediately, but DSLRs aren’t just going to fall off the face of the earth. They are still actively being sold to pros around the world, they will definitely not just stop support for all DSLRs, if they tell you they will then they are scaremongering.

Anyone remember the Canon model that was aimed at sports togs that had an improved FPS and no mirror bounce because it has a '''pellicle mirror"?

Back in a mo once I can find some info links ;)

Anyone remember the Canon model that was aimed at sports togs that had an improved FPS and no mirror bounce because it has a '''pellicle mirror"?
Essentially the same technology as Sony use for their SLT models.

You forgot the EOS 1N RS... shot at a then record breaking 10fps vs 6fps for the standard EOS 1N but the standard mirror design of the subsequent EOS 1V enabled 10fps using just the power booster grip.

I’d hang fire if I were you. Neither Canon or Nikon have ever released a half decent mirrorless.
Arguably the Nikon 1 range were decent mirrorless cameras albeit 1” rather than FF. Same for the newest Canon M albeit APS-C. Scale either up to FF and you get a half decent Mirrorless camera so long as (a) the handling is right and (b) lenses (and a lens roadmap) and the rest of the system is there.

Arguably the Nikon 1 range were decent mirrorless cameras albeit 1” rather than FF. Same for the newest Canon M albeit APS-C. Scale either up to FF and you get a half decent Mirrorless camera so long as (a) the handling is right and (b) lenses (and a lens roadmap) and the rest of the system is there.

None of which we are anywhere near. There are only very minor reports and rumours this is even happening anytime soon.

Canon M is a half ar**d attempt at mirrorless and so is their lens range. I bet Canon consumer DSLRs outsell then st least 10-1.

They will, inevitably bring at an FF mirrorless at some point though, that is true. It needs to be good though and either use current mounts or release a huge lens range as well.

no tom the eos.m series is rather good if coupled with the right lenses and expectations ,basically they are a foot in the water camera and suit certain applications extremely well ,but not up to the speed and clarity of a dslr while composing the shots .i.e I just tried a m5 and found the viewfinder lacking but I,m quiet happy with my m3 for still and/or slow moving stuff ,the STM ef-s lenses perform really well with the m series bodies .
but they have there limitations so theres no way I'm dumping my big gear yet ,I think as do others though that 5 years down the line big changes will have happened .time will tell

Well, my hardly used 1dx2 a cfast card and reader can now be had for a very reasonable price.
I'm with the rats when the ship goes down, or possibly women and children.
Tell you what, I'll give you £5 for them, and I'm robbing myself at that price! No one wants them now, see; I believe they're even charging people to get rid of them down at the local tip. That's the problem when news like that gets out, I'm a fool to myself I know, but I can't help being generous, it's a fault of mine. So there you go, a nice new fiver for the camera, card and reader, and you don't need to worry about getting stuck with them. Lovely jubbly! (y)
;)

Last edited:
I'll be okay with my Zeiss Ikon "Ikonta" then.

no tom the eos.m series is rather good if coupled with the right lenses and expectations ,basically they are a foot in the water camera and suit certain applications extremely well ,but not up to the speed and clarity of a dslr while composing the shots .i.e I just tried a m5 and found the viewfinder lacking but I,m quiet happy with my m3 for still and/or slow moving stuff ,the STM ef-s lenses perform really well with the m series bodies .
but they have there limitations so theres no way I'm dumping my big gear yet ,I think as do others though that 5 years down the line big changes will have happened .time will tell

What I actually meant was nothing close to a body that pro’s would consider using for weddings for example. But yeah, I’m sure it’s fine when accepting its limitations.

One day Electronic Viewfinders will approach the quality of todays Optical Viewfinders, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

I gave up on DSLR technology years ago but that doesn’t mean DSLR’s are rubbish or not capable.
I just preferred the advantages of mirrorless technology and see it as the next photography step in taking photographs.... who knows, mirrorless might be replaced in the future and so on.

It’s Sony’s A9 and 3rd generation A7 series which has really put the pressure on Canon & Nikon.

Price aside, the Sony A9 as good, if not better than the Canon & Nikon equivalents.

One day Electronic Viewfinders will approach the quality of todays Optical Viewfinders, but that's not going to happen anytime soon.

Perhaps but EVF technology has room to evolve and develop, you’ll never see optical viewfinder technology develop or evolve..... no live view or what you see is what you get etc.

Perhaps but EVF technology has room to evolve and develop, you’ll never see optical viewfinder technology develop or evolve..... no live view or what you see is what you get etc.

Nor remote viewing with live control.

I really don't see the problem with EVFs.
I have a Nex 6, so a couple of generations old, and I find it very acceptable. I don't need 4k or 8k viewing through the viewfinder to compose shots.
All the info I need, and more, is there if I need it.

Some people just like to complain. Does it really matter?

I gave up on DSLR technology years ago but that doesn’t mean DSLR’s are rubbish or not capable.
I just preferred the advantages of mirrorless technology and see it as the next photography step in taking photographs.... who knows, mirrorless might be replaced in the future and so on.

It’s Sony’s A9 and 3rd generation A7 series which has really put the pressure on Canon & Nikon.

Price aside, the Sony A9 as good, if not better than the Canon & Nikon equivalents.

I do agree with you there Riz, at last ;)

I recently bought a Sony a7iii as a backup and for video. The plan was to use my canon glass with the metabones adapter. I lasted two weeks with it. Took it back and got a 1dx mkii. The Sony was good, very good but unfortunately without spending thousands on native Sony lenses not good enough! I ended up spending a lot more than planned but my system works and that’s worth more to me than anything.

Nor remote viewing with live control.

DSLR still have live view via LCD and also live remote viewing?

Having eye AF via OVF was a new one on me with the 5D4. So they can still surprise.

To be honest, if they made live view via LCD as responsive on a DSLR as with mirrorless systems, that hybrid approach might suit me...

I really don't see the problem with EVFs.
I have a Nex 6, so a couple of generations old, and I find it very acceptable. I don't need 4k or 8k viewing through the viewfinder to compose shots.
All the info I need, and more, is there if I need it.

Some people just like to complain. Does it really matter?

I think EVF's are already better than OVF's in some ways, for example in low light I can see more detail through my EVF than I could with any traditional optical DSLR system and when using the magnified view I can see more detail in any lighting.

Back