Serge Ramelli

I've got a couple of his tutorials, he's pretty good at what he does, it's difficult now days as the net is swamped with this sort of thing so you do have to choose wisely, it does make me smile though when they all say their tutorials are valued at xxx thousand but on sale today for £59.99 they all do it, I just wonder who it is that values them in the first place, but that aside there are a few good ones out there and Serge is probably one of the better ones, Phlearn are quite good too, although Aaron's style is a bit irritating to some but I find him ok.

I've got a couple of his tutorials, he's pretty good at what he does, it's difficult now days as the net is swamped with this sort of thing so you do have to choose wisely, it does make me smile though when they all say their tutorials are valued at xxx thousand but on sale today for £59.99 they all do it, I just wonder who it is that values them in the first place, but that aside there are a few good ones out there and Serge is probably one of the better ones, Phlearn are quite good too, although Aaron's style is a bit irritating to some but I find him ok.
I can only assume that pepole value their tutorials on the basis of xx hours at yy $ per hour, before applying the discount, but you're right, why does the discounted price always seem to be £49 or £59 ?

I know Ramelli has his fans, but I prefer the free ones on Phlearn and also Julieanne Kost.

The problem with the internet is there are far too many unqualified "experts" that can set up a website to peddle all knds of nonsense and misinformation.

I have problems with his accent... If he spoke a little slower it would help! I have only seen a couple of his youtubes - I will look into the two recommended by Brian G and see if I prefer them.

Rob

I used to watch them but I no longer do. He has his own style of editing which I find too over the top for my liking, however for learning how to edit I can't see any problem with that as you can tailor to your own taste.

I can only assume that pepole value their tutorials on the basis of xx hours at yy $ per hour, before applying the discount, but you're right, why does the discounted price always seem to be £49 or £59 ?

I know Ramelli has his fans, but I prefer the free ones on Phlearn and also Julieanne Kost.

The problem with the internet is there are far too many unqualified "experts" that can set up a website to peddle all knds of nonsense and misinformation.

I've only ever seen a couple of Julieanne Kost. tutorials she did look pretty good though. Dave Cross is another good PS instructor.

Last edited:
I picked up a few tips from his YouTube channel but I agree with Mintchocs - I find that his editing style is a bit too much and he sometimes does things I wouldn't do e.g. replacing a "boring" sky with a more interesting one in Photoshop. Each to their own of course but I much prefer more natural edits.

I do enjoy Ramelli's vlogs but am put off a bit by his shooting technique, I don't know many photographers that shoot such skewed horizons!

I watched an Anthony Morganti "tutorial" about Lightroom, in which the first thing he did was to slam the "highlights" and "shadows" sliders to their extreme positions.
I thought that was very bad advice and I stopped watching.

However, I have recently discovered a series of Morganti's tutorials on Photoshop, which I think are pretty good, so I've revised my opinion of him.
A case of being selective about the advice you take.

Watched a couple of his videos a while ago. He was putting stuff across as fact when it actually wasn't.

I think the best advice that can be given to people in regards to Photoshop and how to adjust images is to forget everything you know and learn it from scratch. Yes, it is painful and at times boring BUT you will actually learn more and understand what is others are doing by doing this.

Subscribing to Lynda.com and going through a course by someone like Deke Mclelland and learning WHY you do something is I think far more useful.

I do enjoy Ramelli's vlogs but am put off a bit by his shooting technique, I don't know many photographers that shoot such skewed horizons!

In one of his recent videos from a balloon festival he showed all his "fails", which I find quite refreshing He does take some awful shots but then he turns out some great ones too. I've seen his work in shops/galleries in France and while they might not be to my taste they are stunning.

In one of his recent videos from a balloon festival he showed all his "fails", which I find quite refreshing He does take some awful shots but then he turns out some great ones too. I've seen his work in shops/galleries in France and while they might not be to my taste they are stunning.
You're quite right, it is nice to see an honest 'warts and all' vlog, but I was surprised at how skewed his horizons were. I've no wish to detract from the quality of his work or vlogs, that was certainly not my intention. :)

Julianne Kost is involved with Lightroom isn't she ? I think her name is mentioned on the splash screen.

Back