SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

You guys.... you all use tripods? What aa difference in technique. I've got one somewhere.....
Mostly with the larger film formats 120 up camera shake is an issue, with my Bronica I'm often at 14/-1/2 seconds to get a small enough aperture (f11 or smaller) for front to back acceptable sharpness, add in a CPL and you'r soon way out of hand holding territory. I am normally on 100 or 400 ISO film which isn't very fast compared to the ISOs available with digital. There is also the issue of making every shot count unlike digital so finding that just right composition then waiting for the light to catch how I want it would be a right pain if I was trying to hand hold. That's my reason anyway.

No mountains for me but light drizzle... "Outing" to the bottom of the garden in front of the shed darkroom with my new C3.

View attachment 375130

1st film through the camera and some self portraits taken with outstretched arm and cable release. Reluctant daughter as subject for focusing as long as I didn't actually photograph her.

Will post outcome in right thread whether good, bad or indifferent.
Here is an idea for you that I played with for shots of the wife and kids (might get them interested) but don't know if possible with your TLR. You use a cokin holder then blank off half (with cokin blanking plate) then shoot your subject in one half of the frame, then get the subject to move to the other half of the frame then move the blanking plate (for previous half)...you'll need a plain background and work out the exposure. Identical shots of any subject can be taken and have posted one or two. Maybe there is an easier way of doing this now with Photoshop, lightroom etc.?
Taken about 38 years ago RB67 or SL66
DJvlCyc.jpg

Last edited:
Similar now purchased @excalibur2
They do come in handy …. Ihave one!

It’s about 12 long iirc but I generally use the shortened version of a couple of feet.
If the same , you’ll see where the tube connects with a metal thingymajig. The bulb and connector ends can be seperated from the long length of tubing that sits on the spool , leaving you with a shorter bulb release.

They do come in handy …. Ihave one!

It’s about 12 long iirc but I generally use the shortened version of a couple of feet.
If the same , you’ll see where the tube connects with a metal thingymajig. The bulb and connector ends can be seperated from the long length of tubing that sits on the spool , leaving you with a shorter bulb release.
This is the one I've bought, not sure if breaks down into shorter lengths but will confirm when it arrives.

s-l400 (1).jpg

Although I’ve got LF kit packed ready for an outing, the weather has been against me so instead I’ve spent time in the darkroom and developed the roll of 35mm that I ran through thé yashica 635 ages ago.

It’s likely going to be the only roll of 35mm that I put through the camera tbh as it took an eternity to finish 36 exposures, in fact a wound it off at 32, but also composing for 35mm when I actually had a 6x6 focusing screen was for me somewhat strange.

I actually sometimes composed for 6x6 and ended up exposing some extreme cropped 35mm frames!

Anyway like it’s been a while since I’ve been out with any camera, it’s also been an age since I used these :

57809EC8-2C5F-4630-BF22-2A442B7ED115.jpeg8F8EF3EE-5484-48BF-A955-2DDC4DB0FE73.jpeg

The hc110 has an expiry date of dec 2019 so I will have bought it a year or two prior to that date !

All the chems still work fine even the already diluted stop and fix as I have results.

C11B9005-AFB0-4729-A3B5-BF046EB1AA97.jpeg

Working with such a small format in the changing bag was , after LF, rather strange and then when I went to hang the film to dry I had forgotten just how long a 36 exposure roll is…… I thought it was never going to end unrolling off the spiral :wideyed::LOL:

Last edited:
Although I’ve got LF kit packed ready for an outing, the weather has been against me so instead I’ve spent time in the darkroom and developed the roll of 35mm that I ran through thé yashica 635 ages ago.

It’s likely going to be the only roll of 35mm that I put through the camera tbh as it took an eternity to finish 36 exposures, in fact a wound it off at 32, but also composing for 35mm when I actually had a 6x6 focusing screen was for me somewhat strange.

I actually sometimes composed for 6x6 and ended up exposing some extreme cropped 35mm frames!

Anyway like it’s been a while since I’ve been out with any camera, it’s also been an age since I used these :

View attachment 375258View attachment 375259

The hc110 has an expiry date of dec 2019 so I will have bought it a year or two prior to that date !

All the chems still work fine even the already diluted stop and fix as I have results.

View attachment 375260

Working with such a small format in the changing bag was , after LF, rather strange and then when I went to hang the film to dry I had forgotten just how long a 36 exposure roll is…… I thought it was never going to end unrolling off the spiral :wideyed::LOL:
Now that's a proper changing bag! Hope you get some LF suitable weather too.

Now that's a proper changing bag! Hope you get some LF suitable weather too.
it's a changing tent.

The harrison ones are generally considered to be the bees knees .

For us mere mortals, cheaper ones are ( ahem were) available....

I can’t remember the last time I exposed a sheet of LF film.

Fortunately I haven’t forgotten how to do it!

Unlike Sospel, Breil sur roya sits in a narrow valley so at this time of year the sun dissapears begind the hills very quickly ( about 14h )

Even when it does show itself, it’s a race against time to benefit from it.

As it is I had a little light when I arrived but it went before I was set to fire the trigger.
Never mind I have a 4x5 exposure taken with the Canham and a 300mm apo lens.

Nothing special that’s for sure but it sure feels good to get under a darkcloth again.

I’ll wander a little further though I think that feeling cold , tired etc, it may be the only shot of the day.

As you can see the Canham , beautiful as it is, offers a much better portrait than I !! :)5E878507-21AE-43E5-9622-CED6CD8DA2ED.jpeg0BAB595E-B41B-4175-AF93-3B7FAFB4594D.jpeg

it's a changing tent.

The harrison ones are generally considered to be the bees knees .

For us mere mortals, cheaper ones are ( ahem were) available....
But can you sleep in it? My 6 person tent cost less than a Harrison!! :) :)

Last edited:
provided you curl round in it, I think I could fit into my Harrison Jumbo changing tent. It wouldn't be possible in my other Harrison, I think it's called the Pup :)

provided you curl round in it, I think I could fit into my Harrison Jumbo changing tent. It wouldn't be possible in my other Harrison, I think it's called the Pup :)
Unloading a 10x8 dds is possible, albiet a struggle, in the pup.

I know cos I did it ! :p

I reckon I cud get quite snug and hibernate in the jumbo :naughty:

Busy day in the darkroom :p

00333496-5082-4BDA-BA18-2112969FC2EF.jpeg

The 12x16 print is from a 6x7 negative exposed 10 years ago in Nice with an RZ67

I posted a scan on here back then but gotta confess I’m more impressed to have a wetprint of the scene.

The orbital is washing several 54 negs , the latter of which taken a couple of days ago but I forgot to take snapshots and share the outing .
00333496-5082-4BDA-BA18-2112969FC2EF.jpeg

All ready for a deving session this evening.

Two seperate soups as the alleyway was exposed with a two stop push ( ilford delta 100 @ 400)

Reasoning was the vegetation moving in the breeze.
Even with the push , I couldn’t get faster than a half second shutter speed.

Kit bag repacked with the intrepid 54 for my next outing along with a change of lens and a smaller darkcloth has brought the weight down a full 2kg from what I was carrying yesterday with the Canham.

Maybe I’ll get further up a hill ;)

Edited to add the all important piccie :pCD6DAB58-0D3D-4E28-A773-17842A1CC7A6.jpeg

Last edited:
Much as one negative looks massively overexposed / fogged in this image, in reality it’s not.

The other one , pushed two stops , looks to have come out pretty good tbh.

Happy bunny….. time to reward myself with a meal :)81B9086E-D083-463C-AE49-0171EF68730A.jpeg

Darkroom antics again :)

After sifting through and filing prints negs I was unable to locate the copy of this portrait print that I made , and possibly posted on here earlier this year.
Strange as I defo made a copy for myself as well as for the subject.
Anyway I found some scribbled notes and quickly produced another 10x8

Thé 16 x 20 print is of one of the exposures taken the other day.

Yes there is some flare at the top which I may crop out slightly when I frame the print but I expected it’s presence at the time of shooting.
Some locations simply don’t offer the correct light conditions regardless of time of day .

Tbh it doesn’t bother me too much as that’s how it was .
What I am very impressed with is the two stop push …… admittedly the print has yet to dry but as it stands, it shows no sign of not being exposed at box speed.

The next neg is loaded in the enlarger and will hopefully offer a reasonable 12x16 which I may do after a sit down and a drink.

If not , then it’s ready for another day .

C998B8CF-5633-4CC6-984C-B1487AF10742.jpeg

06A39F31-B4EE-481A-A676-97F74A2E336D.jpeg7B54590C-1E28-45A7-B1B5-E8F66F3D9CC7.jpeg

ÉDIT:

Voilà done it!

I’ll assess when dry and go from there.

It’s 10pm here and I’ve had enough…..image.jpg

Last edited:
So whilst most other folk are sat at home stuffing themselves with a mix of foodstuffs that many wouldn’t generally eat, I’ve come out into the wilderness with a small picnic of fruit and the intrepid 54.

One exposure made ( as well as a blooper by leaving the preview open so out of the three sheets of film that I had available, I have but one left!)

Time to find a warmer spot to eat then maybe another scene to shoot .

That will finish all my 54 film holders that are loaded so perhaps the next outing will be with a 57 (13x18) format .

Merry Christmas everyone …. Bah humbug! :LOL:1B6A137A-B313-4D8F-83EF-0F814149E49B.jpeg

Merry Christmas :)

A friend of mine always does sunrise on Christmas Day, he has for as long as I remember!

I usually do Christmas Eve (well, I have since I divorced about 9 years ago) but yesterday was a grey morning which resulted in no images.

No images doesn't really bother me anymore.

Boxing Day morning is looking promising though :)

So whilst most other folk are sat at home stuffing themselves with a mix of foodstuffs that many wouldn’t generally eat, I’ve come out into the wilderness with a small picnic of fruit and the intrepid 54.

One exposure made ( as well as a blooper by leaving the preview open so out of the three sheets of film that I had available, I have but one left!)

That will finish all my 54 film holders that are loaded so perhaps the next outing will be with a 57 (13x18) format .

Merry Christmas everyone …. Bah humbug! :LOL:View attachment 377031
Only cereal, toast and coffee so far Asha, as well as an 8000 step walk on a decent morning. Indulgence due to commence this afternoon though. :):beer:

Merry Christmas everyone …. Bah humbug! :LOL:View attachment 377031
I wish we had the weather to be out today but sadly it is hissing down and set to be most of the day. :headbang:

Only cereal, toast and coffee so far Asha, as well as an 8000 step walk on a decent morning. Indulgence due to commence this afternoon though. :):beer:
8000 steps…… so what’s that in my world?….4km? ( 2.5 miles?)

Or if you’re one of them long legged folk , 4 miles :wideyed::LOL:

I wish we had the weather to be out today but sadly it is hissing down and set to be most of the day. :headbang:
That’s a bummer !

We are fortunate here.

Very little sun today and low cloud in places but some blue sky and very mild for the season.

The headache for me is going to be the return home as I’ve climbed up from the village and the rocks underfoot are wet and extremely slippery….. on descent that is going to be interesting !!!:help:

8000 steps…… so what’s that in my world?….4km? ( 2.5 miles?)

Or if you’re one of them long legged folk , 4 miles :wideyed::LOL:
About 6km for me Asha, but it's my baseline daily target so I'm never happy until I've done them. :)

About 6km for me Asha, but it's my baseline daily target so I'm never happy until I've done them. :)
Oh wow that’s more than I thought.
Well done !

To be honest I can usually manage about that distance , sometimes double but then it takes a week to get over it lol

My phone app tells me I’ve done 3.4km so far today and I’m still heading upwards so it’s likely to be 10km or more by the time I return home .

If there’s no sign of life from me until new year then you know why !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Well done !

To be honest I can usually manage about that distance , sometimes double but then it takes a week to get over it lol

My phone app tells me I’ve done 3.4km so far today and I’m still heading upwards so it’s likely to be 10km or more by the time I return home .

If there’s no sign of life from me until new year then you know why !:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
You'll have less to carry once you've scoffed the picnic. ;)

Well done !

You guys are lucky as 2 months ago got a hernia (probably caused by pulling out a tree stump ) :( h'mm not that I was any good walking and was a cycle man. Anyway with a bit of luck with NHS problems should have it fixed in a month or so and be back to normal (y) erm until something else turns up for what ever old farts get . :rolleyes:

You guys are lucky as 2 months ago got a hernia (probably caused by pulling out a tree stump ) :( h'mm not that I was any good walking and was a cycle man. Anyway with a bit of luck with NHS problems should have it fixed in a month or so and be back to normal (y) erm until something else turns up for what ever old farts get . :rolleyes:
Sorry to hear that Brian, and hope you recover soon. I think there comes a time in all our lives where we ponder the wisdom of doing physical things, and I'm starting to get that way about going up ladders. :oops: :$

Sorry to hear that Brian, and hope you recover soon. I think there comes a time in all our lives where we ponder the wisdom of doing physical things, and I'm starting to get that way about going up ladders. :oops: :$
Blimey, the thought of climbing out of bed is enough for me to say ´Dare I’ !!:runaway::LOL::LOL:

I'm being quoted 6 months for a repair... :-(

Last edited:
I had a novel film outing today, which has been sunny with blue skies. Kenilworth Castle is open free to anyone on Boxing Day, 10-12, so I decided to go there. My Christmas present to myself was a set of coloured filters, red, green and blue (*), and I took those with a tripod (!!!) and the ME loaded with FP4, to experiment with Trichromes. The idea (which is totally bonkers) is to take the same photo with red, green and blue filters, and then combine them to make a colour image from black and white film! I took 6 scenes, ie 18 frames, but unfortunately forgot to get a phone snap for you. I'll save the next 18 frames for a day with perhaps a bit more wind, maybe some scudding clouds, as these can produce some interesting rainbow effects. I hope I'll have got something similar from the people moving about, in the scenes I've taken.

Andrew Keedle has written a bit about this technique: https://www.keedlemedia.com/trichrome .

* Since I have given away my P-sized filter holder, I only have my charity shop A-sized holder. There are good strong red and green square filters available in A-size, but the blue filter is a bit weak; it's more of a colour temperature adjustment filter. The P range has a nice strong blue. So I'm not sure I'll get the proper effect.

Back