SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

I had a novel film outing today, which has been sunny with blue skies. Kenilworth Castle is open free to anyone on Boxing Day, 10-12, so I decided to go there. My Christmas present to myself was a set of coloured filters, red, green and blue (*), and I took those with a tripod (!!!) and the ME loaded with FP4, to experiment with Trichromes. The idea (which is totally bonkers) is to take the same photo with red, green and blue filters, and then combine them to make a colour image from black and white film! I took 6 scenes, ie 18 frames, but unfortunately forgot to get a phone snap for you. I'll save the next 18 frames for a day with perhaps a bit more wind, maybe some scudding clouds, as these can produce some interesting rainbow effects. I hope I'll have got something similar from the people moving about, in the scenes I've taken.

Andrew Keedle has written a bit about this technique: https://www.keedlemedia.com/trichrome .

* Since I have given away my P-sized filter holder, I only have my charity shop A-sized holder. There are good strong red and green square filters available in A-size, but the blue filter is a bit weak; it's more of a colour temperature adjustment filter. The P range has a nice strong blue. So I'm not sure I'll get the proper effect.
Interesting process with some even more interesting results, however being a monochrome man, i can’t ever see me showing interest in giving it a go.

I am nonetheless curious to see what images you get Chris :)

Interesting process with some even more interesting results, however being a monochrome man, i can’t ever see me showing interest in giving it a go.

I am nonetheless curious to see what images you get Chris :)
So am I, Asha. Not sure my PP skills with Affinity Photo are up to the task!

Out yesterday on Dartmoor with the Bronica, had an epic with it for the first shot wouldn't fire. I wasted 2 shots trying to get it working, tried spare body first same batteries that one wouldn't fire either (batteries are new). I then swapped to spare batteries with no joy eventually third set worked and I was up and running again. When I got home I re-tried the dud batteries and guess what both bodies fired so I must have a poor connection in both bodies. :headbang::headbang:

I did get some shots in though, I'll post when the scans are back. Here are a couple of the set-ups.

010 Yes Tor and Shelstone Tor(Broni Setup) 05-9865 PS Adj.JPG

015 Yes Tor and Shelstone Tor (Broni Setup) 09-9869 PS Adj.JPG

Out yesterday on Dartmoor with the Bronica, had an epic with it for the first shot wouldn't fire. I wasted 2 shots trying to get it working, tried spare body first same batteries that one wouldn't fire either (batteries are new). I then swapped to spare batteries with no joy eventually third set worked and I was up and running again. When I got home I re-tried the dud batteries and guess what both bodies fired so I must have a poor connection in both bodies. :headbang::headbang:

I did get some shots in though, I'll post when the scans are back. Here are a couple of the set-ups.

View attachment 379564

View attachment 379565
Don’t dismiss the cold temperatures.

I had issues occasionally with a mf outfit….. unsure if the bronny or RZ but eventually figured that there was nothing wrong with the actual cameras….. it was the batterie/ electrics that didn’t like the winter cold!

Looks like you might have got away with the 1/500 default speed for dud battery given that amount of sunshine?

Don’t dismiss the cold temperatures.

I had issues occasionally with a mf outfit….. unsure if the bronny or RZ but eventually figured that there was nothing wrong with the actual cameras….. it was the batterie/ electrics that didn’t like the winter cold!
Fair comment Asha.

Looks like you might have got away with the 1/500 default speed for dud battery given that amount of sunshine?

Never even thought about that Peter in fact I didn't know that was an option on the SQ-Ai, I was working at f11 mostly and around 125th so I could have got away with 500th at a pinch.

Last edited:
Never even thought about that Peter, I was working at f11 mostly and around 125th so I could have got away with 500th at a pinch.
No shame in that, and better than when I shot a full roll at a relatively slow speed without noticing the camera was firing at 1/500 every time. :asshat:

A couple from yesterday on Dartmoor with the Bronica again.

View attachment 380737

View attachment 380738
Nice clear day with blue skies…… in the uk wintertime, that’s generally a sign that it was darned cold …..Brrrrr! :LOL:

I like those towers of rocks, tors are they called??…… I used to enjoy visiting an area in yourshire with similar formations…… Bringam rocks I think it’s called.

Nice clear day with blue skies…… in the uk wintertime, that’s generally a sign that it was darned cold …..Brrrrr! :LOL:

I like those towers of rocks, tors are they called??…… I used to enjoy visiting an area in yourshire with similar formations…… Bringam rocks I think it’s called.
It was surprisingly mild in the sunshine with very little wind. The rocks are the top of a Tor, Dartmoor is littered with them and many have these trees growing on them.

It was surprisingly mild in the sunshine with very little wind. The rocks are the top of a Tor, Dartmoor is littered with them and many have these trees growing on them.
Solitary trees make wonderful photographs imo.
I am surrounded by trees but trying to find one standing alone is quite a challenge.

Never even thought about that Peter in fact I didn't know that was an option on the SQ-Ai, I was working at f11 mostly and around 125th so I could have got away with 500th at a pinch.
I don't think you can fire a SQ-Ai with out batteries, one of my battery terminals has terminally corroded as I found out this afternoon. I spent ages cleaning up seven of the pins which are now good but one of them is no more. I then went on a treasure hut to find a PX28 for the SQ which I ended up robbing from my RTS, time to order some more PX28s and think what to do about the dead SQAi, needles to say, I did not take any photographs today. :(

Hi Peter, I've just checked my SQ-Ai manual cover to cover and I don't have that info in mine, what page is it on?
It's in the Bronica Manual book by William Cheung, rather than the camera manual, I'm afraid. There seems to be a blue version of this book as well as the purple/pink version that I have, but I don't know which is newer.

Here's the version I've got and it says it was revised and reprinted in 1991. It has a flash at top right saying it covers the SQ-Ai.

20230211_165912-tp.jpg

Here's the version I've got and it says it was revised and reprinted in 1991. It has a flash at top right saying it covers the SQ-Ai.

View attachment 381030
Thanks, as I said though there's no mention of it in the actual camera manual. I remember Willie Cheung from the film days he wrote a few books on photography, knew his stuff so he may well be right I'll have to try it.

Did you ever have one of those days?

As usual for days when I have a vague motivation to take some snaps I got up a bit too late having faffed about trying to decide where exactly to go to take world beating photos. Then, having decided that I ought to do something long exposure related I couldn't find the correct adaptor ring for my ND filter but after half an hour of tearing the house apart I found it attached to another filter ... who would have thought? Then a whole precession of domestic duties presented themselves so I waded through those. So finally I packed the rest of the gear I thought I would need, and again as seems to be my wont, I packed a bit more just in case, filled a flask and by the crack-of-noon I was in the car and heading up to meet the usual Windermere - Ambleside traffic jam. Eventaully I got to a spot along the Brathay and took a few snaps and headed up to Skirwith where a bit of circling around got me a parking space. Not being terribly inspired by Skiwith force I thought I'd walk to Colwith which from memory wasn't too far to walk. Turns out 20kg of camera gear on your back makes it feel a lot further. Anyway, after all that I strongly suspect I over exposed the water so this is probably the best shot of the day.

PXL_20230211_140630472 (Custom).jpg

Last edited:
My usual thing is that, when the weather is perfect and I really feel like taking pictures, I'm at work or have other responsibilities to attend to.

On the days I do have free, I either can't decide where I want to go and waste a load of time trying to work out what I want to do, or the weather is carp.

Occasionally I get a day where I am free, feel inspired, have a location in mind, and the weather plays ball. These are sadly quite rare. :(

Interesting to see that I’m not alone and struggling to get exposures .

Often I find myself up for a shoot when it’s approaching time to go to bed:wideyed:

Of course I convince myself that I’ll keep the urge and get out the following day……Does it happen?

NO! :headbang:

The usual issue (which applies to both film & digital) is that all the good light & colourful sunrises are Monday to Friday which leaves the weekends just grey & dull.....
The fact that half the togs don’t get to see weekend sunrises anyway following fri and sat nights on the :beer:is of course totally irrelevant :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Reciprocity failure would also be awesome!. Mind you, @Asha could try with the 5x4 pinhole camera he bought from me, since there's no need to focus it!
Can NASA delay sunrises??……. I think a 72 hour exposure on fomapan might just throw out a thin negative!! :ROFLMAO:

I actually did try for a LF star trail a few years back .

That turned out to be very long 2 hours or more in the cold , only to be rewarded with a top class failure :LOL:

Large format astro?
I have all on getting a reasonable exposure in daylight ffs! :oops: :$ :LOL:

I wonder what on earth this negative is going to produce when projected through the enlarger :naughty:

Don’t let the ripples fool you , they are simply due to the tank rotating on its motorised base.

ED479147-BA5A-4800-A39C-CD26A5864C3D.jpeg

I recently got some Fomapan 200 in 5x4 and was out on Sunday to try a couple of sheets to see how it looked. It's known to be contrasty, so full sunshine (for a change!) possibly a bit much of a combo. Ebony RSW45, Nikon 90mm f8 @ f32. yellow filter, underexposed by 1 stop as I forgot to change speed when I fitted the yellow filter. :asshat:

20230226_152101-tp.jpg

Barevan Church tree by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
I recently got some Fomapan 200 in 5x4 and was out on Sunday to try a couple of sheets to see how it looked. It's known to be contrasty, so full sunshine (for a change!) possibly a bit much of a combo. Ebony RSW45, Nikon 90mm f8 @ f32. yellow filter, underexposed by 1 stop as I forgot to change speed when I fitted the yellow filter. :asshat:

View attachment 382720

View attachment 382721
Nice result that Peter.

I think many yellow filters are slightly under a stop of comp , near 1/2 or 2/3.

Either way I wouldn’t fuss over forgetting to adjust for it , .
As can be seen in this case, there’s no detrimental effect ..

Tbh it’s rare I use yellow, generally orange for me which of course is two stops so less leeway if I miscalculate exposure time.

Édit, studying the image again, a stop of comp would potentially render the result overexposed i think tbh.

Last edited:
Back