SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Just to add insult to injury while trying to sort out the red light issue a former workmate walked past and asked me if, as I was in the cemetery, was I going to the funeral. Turns out another former work friend had passed away and I hadn't heard. I then spent the next hour standing in the cold outside the crematorium with 50 or 60 others. As I got back to my street someone else I know shouted me over and told me that another old friend from my former local had died and I had missed the funeral...one was 62 and the other 63. It was not a good day.

Just to add insult to injury while trying to sort out the red light issue a former workmate walked past and asked me if, as I was in the cemetery, was I going to the funeral. Turns out another former work friend had passed away and I hadn't heard. I then spent the next hour standing in the cold outside the crematorium with 50 or 60 others. As I got back to my street someone else I know shouted me over and told me that another old friend from my former local had died and I had missed the funeral...one was 62 and the other 63. It was not a good day.
Really sorry to hear that Andy, and know how you feel as I lost a dear friend at 64 last weekend.

That’s such sad news Andy, it’s very sobering when you lose workmates and friends, particularly when theyre so young. I was shocked to hear the other day that a guy that I worked with at Wimbledon every year has recently passed away, all the more sad that he was significantly younger than me. This year really has a lot to answer for.

Actually neither of the deaths were actually covid related although whilst at the funeral I found out that there were at least another 6 deaths this year of people I have worked with and most of those were due to the plague. Whe I started working at the railway works in 1979 there were over 5000 employees and as I was a wages clerk I got to know a huge amount of them so consequently every year there are a good few people pass away that I know but this year has been horrendous.

Sorry to hear that Andy, it's certainly not been a good year, with Covid often acting like the grim reaper and taking people before their time would normally have been due. This should make us all appreciate how precious life is and encourage us all to make the most of it we reasonably can. I'm really looking forward to the time when we can have another F&C meet up. Perhaps we should draw up a short-list of possible venues to give us something to look forward to in 2021?

something to look forward to in 2021?

I wish I could find the same optimism tbh as the way things are , 2021 could very easily follow a similar fate that this year has seen.

possible venues

if some so called experts are correct, that’s likely to be the local cemetery !

Never mind,depending where one lives, there are periods where we can get out and about and and use our cameras ...... as we can’t meet up, perhaps even more reason to share those moments in this thread..... kind of aTP cyber meet ;)

Last edited:
I wish I could find the same optimism tbh as the way things are , 2021 could very easily follow a similar fate that this year has seen.

if some so called experts are correct, that’s likely to be the local cemetery !

Never mind,depending where one lives, there are periods where we can get out and about and and use our cameras ...... as we can’t meet up, perhaps even more reason to share those moments in this thread..... kind of aTP cyber meet ;)
It's being so bloody cheerful that keeps you going, isn't it? :LOL: Let's take a positive view and look forward to next summer in the hope we'll be able to have an F&C meet. They may even let you into the country by then too... the mad fools! ;) Anyway, I hope you have a good Christmas and give your cats some cat treats for me. (y)

Oh, and let's have a Christmas 'film shooting outing' post on this thread from as many of the F&C folks as possible, even if it's an indoor trip if you're in Teir 4.

Last edited:
It's being so bloody cheerful that keeps you going, isn't it? :LOL: Let's take a positive view and look forward to next summer in the hope we'll be able to have an F&C meet. They may even let you into the country by then too... the mad fools! ;) Anyway, I hope you have a good Christmas and give your cats some cat treats for me. (y)

I am a cheerful soul really( the locals consider me to be the local clown lol) ...just perhaps too much of a realist.

It’s not the allowing me to enter the UK that concerns me, it’s being released!!!! :-0

So what is Santa NOT bringing you this year seeing as travelling is out of the question?! [emoji38] Lol

The cats have some treats wrapped and waiting for them...... in fact they have more to open than I do :-(

Here’s wishing everyone ( inc Mr Badger ) a merry Christmas.
Enjoy the best you can but be aware if any carol singers turn up at your door.......

they’re bugs in disguise !!! [emoji23] lmao

Well reading some guys are just unlucky with sad news and you'd think at my age and family of similar age we would be dying like flies....the only deaths I know of was my cousin's husband in a home and an auntie's husband both in their 80's early this year...no idea if the deaths were Covid related or just old age. I know of people who have had Covid (mainly younger people and one close) but the plague just seems to pass us by so far.

Back with 5x7 today and much lighter kit.
Intrepid 5x7 with 300ml apo lens.
Smallest, lightest tripod too and a couple of film holders.

To use up the second half of one sheet I’ve gone against all the rules ( don’t I always ) and exposed a 6x17 directly into the sun.

It might work, it probably won’t but no harm in trying.

D34675F0-888E-4C58-86E8-BFF718EA4EB7.jpeg

5x4 today
Walker Titan and 420mm lens

Got one frame in the bag but only a preview pic of the scene with no camera as by the time I done and packing away I could barely feel my fingers so operating a fone was not impractical , but it on my priority list.
It is unbelievably cold today even for here!

Not usually of much interest to me but à with a dusting of snow I was tempted into an exposure

3A580637-FC6F-40DD-9609-95BDC9CB5897.jpeg

Scrambled down into this gorge which to say the least was a tad unnerving at times.

8382549B-8E2E-4E58-AD63-C456A71AF5C8.jpeg

it was a nice set of tree roots that interested me from above but unless I want to risk life , limb and more importantly, kit, I’m better of avoiding trying to get any nearer for an exposure.
Instead I lhave captured this reflection

A157CF09-F5C7-473D-B59E-39AFC19AD9DB.jpeg

D5C7C8A7-C89F-4AA4-B449-5C879DE392EC.jpeg

How good the result will be is to be seen as the minimum exposure time I could obtain was a half second.

Time to now pack up , climb myway out of here which hopefully will warm me up as I’m frozen stupid and take the hour walk back home.

Last edited:
Braved the cold and the descent to revisit the gorge.
Much lighter pack this time for a pre planned close up exposure.
Took a lot more effortand time to compose / focus than I imagined it would and can’t say that I’m convinced that I’ll be happy with the result.
Oh well it passes time and keeps me out of mischief :)

17C619DA-1612-40F6-86F8-3A40DCCCA22A.jpeg

Late start to go out togging today but impatient to see what kind of results the j lane glass plates have to offer so found a suitable tree with kaki fruit which being orange, will show nigh on black on ortho emulsion.
I was set up in light that was rather nice but before I could load the film holder and meter the scene, I had company who absolutely refused to move until he was ready to do so lol.

7EA9C8B1-D380-4D9A-AA51-9E36B82CFF39.jpeg

So passing ten minutes with him whilst ensuring that he didn’t send everything flying inc me as he is a large horse ( two of them reside here) , left me with a tree without the light that I would have liked.

Tempted to not bother with the exposure but seeing as the forecast for tomorrow means a potential day at home and the fact that my first attempt with these plates is unlikely to be a great success, I triggered the shutter anyway.

66ACE0DC-C783-4E9B-9250-56DC373EB1ED.jpeg

At least I’ll get a feel for the 25iso plate handles exposure and development.
83BFF644-0E3B-4E5E-9F04-C7BF490FBB50.jpeg

Last edited:
When I went out shooting once it was a lovely day and just laid down (in a field) and fell asleep...and woke up surrounded by cows looking at me :eek:......lucky they were just curious as I could have been trampled on o_O

5x4 today
Walker Titan and 420mm lens

Got one frame in the bag but only a preview pic of the scene with no camera as by the time I done and packing away I could barely feel my fingers so operating a fone was not impractical , but it on my priority list.
It is unbelievably cold today even for here!

Not usually of much interest to me but à with a dusting of snow I was tempted into an exposure

View attachment 303388

The wet print is a very close resemblance to the monochrome preview image that I took with my phoneand is proof that my intrepid kit/ Philips enlarger modification works a treat. Yessssss!:banana::woot::banana::woot::banana:3DD06421-A9AB-4D59-AB64-4736D278E037.jpeg

Late start to go out togging today but impatient to see what kind of results the j lane glass plates have to offer so found a suitable tree with kaki fruit which being orange, will show nigh on black on ortho emulsion.
I was set up in light that was rather nice but before I could load the film holder and meter the scene, I had company who absolutely refused to move until he was ready to do so lol.

View attachment 303828

So passing ten minutes with him whilst ensuring that he didn’t send everything flying inc me as he is a large horse ( two of them reside here) , left me with a tree without the light that I would have liked.

Tempted to not bother with the exposure but seeing as the forecast for tomorrow means a potential day at home and the fact that my first attempt with these plates is unlikely to be a great success, I triggered the shutter anyway.

View attachment 303830

At least I’ll get a feel for the 25iso plate handles exposure and development.
View attachment 303833

According to the J Lane website, a perfectly exposed glass platewill have overexposed skies and dark vegetation.
I’ll leave you to make your own assessment ;)

38B7D32E-7D3B-4B05-9E0B-0FFDD0281E17.jpeg

Last edited:
For several reasons I didn’t get chance to post this outing whilst I was on location earlier today.
In between heavy rain showers ( snow a little higher up), I managed to eventually get a result something like what I wanted.
The light was continually changing as was the cloud cover so I was stood freezing everything off waiting for thé cloud to break enough to show at least the mountain outcrop to the left that kept hiding in cloud and some areas of sun on the snow dusted hilltops whilst at the same time lighting up the house bottom right to give the scene some scale like can be seen in the monochrome preview pic.
There blue sky at times today but sadly not in my composure

Looking at the negative, a slight crop at the bottom and I may have got what I hoped for.

1E5FFF97-BF56-4F75-8A4B-6757AFE94C00.jpegF640A5BE-3972-4B35-863F-72B26A7CD222.jpegE6A02398-28C5-44A7-B093-A4B15AB1F4C5.jpeg

Walker Titan
420mm lens

Last edited:
For several reasons I didn’t get chance to post this outing whilst I was on location earlier today.
In between heavy rain showers ( snow a little higher up), I managed to eventually get a result something like what I wanted.
The light was continually changing as was the cloud cover so I was stood freezing everything off waiting for thé cloud to break enough to show at least the mountain outcrop to the left that kept hiding in cloud and some areas of sun on the snow dusted hilltops whilst at the same time lighting up the house bottom right to give the scene some scale like can be seen in the monochrome preview pic.

Looking at the negative, a slight crop at the bottom and I may have got what I hoped for.

View attachment 304233View attachment 304234View attachment 304236

Walker Titan
420mm lens

Scan looks OK (y)

I may try a wet print of this and an inkjet print with the house out of the picture as I'm now unsure which I prefer

There is actually a derelict building further up the scene on the terraces that offers sufficient scale for the hills and is, imo more pleasing than the modern building

Chamonix day today so more 5x4.
This scene, just a 15 min walk from home appealed to me when out doing my limited walk allowances during lockdown.
I noticed that for a short period of time between 1.30 and 2pm , if there was a bit of cloud and just before the sun drops down behind the mountains located behind me, the light fell in rather nicely in the foreground , gently bouncing off the trees whilst the mountains offered light / shadow interest due to the sun being low.

Not the clearest of days for the distant mountains but worth an exposure so we’ll see what comes of it.
View attachment 302329

Well this print has been a swine to produce.
Been on with it for most of the evening.
Got there eventually , just hope I like it when very and viewed in daylight.

A late night seeing as it’s already turned 1am and the fiber print has yet to finish its rinse!561F033B-6327-45CB-8473-60C8DFA3C0CF.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 304233View attachment 304234View attachment 304236

Walker Titan
420mm lens
Printed A3 ( inkjet) :)
Decided to remove the house completely as there is a small derelict building to the rhs to give scale.

9203EF9F-EB1E-4FED-8E4B-73F9783C8A1E.jpeg

A couple of 5x4 exposures this afternoon.

One showing an area of Sospel that the tourists don’t see and the locals prefer to pretend doesn’t exist.

Sadly like most beautiful places the world over, man has to leave his mark [emoji20]

View attachment 302183

No trains atm as two are blocked in Sospel due to blocked signals.

I wonder if my messing about with this lever to obtain a better composition of the railway lines has anything to do with it [emoji23] lol

View attachment 302184

View attachment 302185

Fortunately I have several film holders with me loaded with different film as the one that I wanted to use ( a fidelity elite) refused to enter the rear standard of the Walker Titan ..... it seems there is a physical difference in size to the TOYO ones but I don’t recall ever having problems before.

Seeing as I know someone else with the same camera, perhaps @StephenM m would be kind enough to try a fidelity holder ( assuming he has one) in his Walker Titan to see if the issue is isolated to me or not.

One of the two exposures wet printed this evening.
52BF4C21-5E89-4F95-B92D-C67B109E65CF.jpeg

The forecast was for mist or fog so I thought it would be good for some tree shots, I packed up the Bronica SQA and as usual far too much gear and sallied forth. It quickly became apparent that it was going to be crystal clear but looked gorgeous in the snow so I slogged up a nearby hill with all the kit. I was seeing nothing to shoot though, it looked great but it was one of those bright contrasty days that is not my style and I was thinking of just heading back down again but I wandered into a patch of trees and started to see some compositions and had a good time in the end.

Attachments

• 20210115_110434_resize_43.jpg
    20210115_110434_resize_43.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The forecast was for mist or fog so I thought it would be good for some tree shots, I packed up the Bronica SQA and as usual far too much gear and sallied forth. It quickly became apparent that it was going to be crystal clear but looked gorgeous in the snow so I slogged up a nearby hill with all the kit. I was seeing nothing to shoot though, it looked great but it was one of those bright contrasty days that is not my style and I was thinking of just heading back down again but I wandered into a patch of trees and started to see some compositions and had a good time in the end.

It's been foggy on and off all day here but I've been unable to take advantage due to work. I did go out yesterday lunchtime with the Holga though. I decided that it's ease of use and plastic body would make for a good choice in this instance. :)

Got out again today, walked a lot further than I intended to and I had the 4x5 and associated heavy tripod but it was a good outing. This lock down might be miserable in a lot of ways but its making me take a lot more photos :)

20210117_141137.jpg

Got out again today, walked a lot further than I intended to and I had the 4x5 and associated heavy tripod but it was a good outing. This lock down might be miserable in a lot of ways but its making me take a lot more photos :)

View attachment 305736

Two pinhole snaps from this outing, not very keen on these, hopefully the the shots with a lens will work a bit better

Untitled (2).jpg

Untitled-Pano.jpg

looks good on here so I bet the print is great

Cheers Chris, yes the prints always look better than an iPhone snapshot.

I might sit and view my portfolio tomorrow as it’s been a while since I looked through my work.
It may inspire me........ to pack in and leave togging up to those who are better at it like you lot! lol

I’ve been unable to get out recently but have managed a few wet prints [emoji846]

Scrambled down into this gorge which to say the least was a tad unnerving at times.

View attachment 303395

it was a nice set of tree roots that interested me from above but unless I want to risk life , limb and more importantly, kit, I’m better of avoiding trying to get any nearer for an exposure.
Instead I lhave captured this reflection

View attachment 303396

View attachment 303397

How good the result will be is to be seen as the minimum exposure time I could obtain was a half second.

Time to now pack up , climb myway out of here which hopefully will warm me up as I’m frozen stupid and take the hour walk back home.

12x16 wet print that’s now dry and needs pressing.

IMG_2181.JPG

Last edited:
A couple of 5x4 exposures this afternoon.

One showing an area of Sospel that the tourists don’t see and the locals prefer to pretend doesn’t exist.

Sadly like most beautiful places the world over, man has to leave his mark [emoji20]

View attachment 302183

No trains atm as two are blocked in Sospel due to blocked signals.

I wonder if my messing about with this lever to obtain a better composition of the railway lines has anything to do with it [emoji23] lol

View attachment 302184

View attachment 302185

Fortunately I have several film holders with me loaded with different film as the one that I wanted to use ( a fidelity elite) refused to enter the rear standard of the Walker Titan ..... it seems there is a physical difference in size to the TOYO ones but I don’t recall ever having problems before.

Seeing as I know someone else with the same camera, perhaps @StephenM m would be kind enough to try a fidelity holder ( assuming he has one) in his Walker Titan to see if the issue is isolated to me or not.

Another wet print 12x16 just done this evening and presently washing

IMG_2182.JPG

A rocky start, but you seem to be on the right track, provided you don't go off the rails. All that training has paid off. :) :exit:

Braved the cold and the descent to revisit the gorge.
Much lighter pack this time for a pre planned close up exposure.
Took a lot more effortand time to compose / focus than I imagined it would and can’t say that I’m convinced that I’ll be happy with the result.
Oh well it passes time and keeps me out of mischief :)

View attachment 303707

A failure!

Attempted to set up for a wetprint but found focusing on the easel impossible.
A quick scan of the neg shows why.......The focus is out slightly :(

OOF TP.jpg

Back