SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

I’ve never got on with varifocals so I have separate reading and distance glasses. I can focus using the distance specs + loupe but then I have difficulty seeing the aperture and shutter speed settings on the lens. I might try carrying a small magnifier as this would be less hassle than changing specs.
Yes that’s the hassle isn’t it.....for me it’s the opposite as wearing the close up specs allows me to focus, set lens etc but when moving around I have to look over them or hang them around my neck as it’s easy to become disoriented when looking theough glass bottle bottoms that don’t focus on feet or tripod legs !!
Édit If you lens aperture and shutter have distinct notches then it is possible to count down the settings .... ie start at 1/500 and f/5.6 then turn the dials

Last edited:
A bit of light this morning prompted me to get out with the MPP

20201122_104414.jpg

20201122_105343.jpg

Even loaded an extra frame in the car boot which was tricky because it was freezing and I could hardly feel my fingers
20201122_114328.jpg

Attachments

• 20201122_104414.jpg
    20201122_104414.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 1606075140262.jpeg
    1606075140262.jpeg
    237.7 KB · Views: 6
Not sure it was worth the effort, or more likely that I made the most of it

View attachment 299652
I’m only viewing on a miniature screen at but first impressions quite like the result tbh.
What dale/ valley are you looking over there?
Only curious as I walked many miles in the Dales but 20 years on and I’m struggling to recognise the location in your photos.

Its the Forest of Bowland, I'm on Tatham fell looking towards Salter Fell

Spent a bit more time rescanning the above image

Untitled.jpg

I'd prefer a bit darker but the bottom right tends to block quite quickly and it's not really a keeper for me to bother with burning etc.

Spent a bit more time rescanning the above image

View attachment 299752

I'd prefer a bit darker but the bottom right tends to block quite quickly and it's not really a keeper for me to bother with burning etc.

Yes i too prefer the first version that you posted .
This one is rather flat by comparison.

Test day for the new Canham T657 which I’ve decided to name Wuddy!
With the 5x7 back mounted I’ve walked not too far from home and seeing as the light is quite nice atm decided to capture this mountain scene. Very similar to what I’ve already taken before but I’m at a lower elevation and slightly different angle.
Loiking on the GG it’s not going to be a master piece lol .
Two exposures , one a full frame 5x7 ( 13x18 to get exact) and one pano 6x17 using the recently acquired cut darkslide from @stevelmx5

If nothing else takes my fancy or a run out if allocated time ( which doesn’t make the outing very relaxing having to click watch!:() I will simply attempt to find something that suits 6x17 to use up the part exposed sheet ..... that way I’ll have both sheets to dev later.

a.jpeg

D28CCF53-3987-4DCF-9595-D4AB9092CDA6.jpeg

Last edited:
With large format, you probably ALWAYS have to click watch :p

Looking forward to seeing the results in glorious 0% reflectance and 100% reflectance (our paper reported that some university students want to ban use of the words I just circumlocuted) so we have to be careful...

0% reflectance in the vernacular has lots of bad connotations (e.g. 0% reflectance mail, 0% reflectanced hearted etc.) and is self evidently racist.

Test day for the new Canham T657 which I’ve decided to name Wuddy!
With the 5x7 back mounted I’ve walked not too far from home and seeing as the light is quite nice atm decided to capture this mountain scene. Very similar to what I’ve already taken before but I’m at a lower elevation and slightly different angle.
Loiking on the GG it’s not going to be a master piece lol .
Two exposures , one a full frame 5x7 ( 13x18 to get exact) and one pano 6x17 using the recently acquired cut darkslide from @stevelmx5

If nothing else takes my fancy or a run out if allocated time ( which doesn’t make the outing very relaxing having to click watch!:() I will simply attempt to find something that suits 6x17 to use up the part exposed sheet ..... that way I’ll have both sheets to dev later.

View attachment 300742View attachment 300743

Camera works! (y)

Packed ready to grab an exposure or two tomorrow to check the 5x4 back is also sound.

BB0A8EA3-CD41-4171-A400-011AD10A766D.jpeg

Last edited:
Voilà both shots exposed. Heading home as firstly I have no unexposed holders left... I thought I had four sheets but upon inspection clearly not but I dunno what the other two are
!
Secondly the village weather is cut in too. Atmi I stand on the dividing line between sunshine and rain/ probable thunder .

D’itinéraire to head home and possibly occupy myself with some deving [emoji6]View attachment 281265

Having taken another look at the print made a few days ago it’s not as bad as I thought.
I’ve had a quick play with a couple of small sections of paper to try increase the contrast a fraction but tbh this result looks about the best that I’ll get until I spend more time tweeting .... maybe if I get bored or fall out of love with this print

8B4D7A6B-E541-4CE6-9F44-D13451694671.jpeg

Some sunshine again today following the sleet and snow so out with the Canham again to check out the 5x4 back.

One of my classic locations but first time taking a these hills with a bit of snow on them.

i thought I had packed the same 420mm that I used the other day but no , found that I have the 150mm ( can’t recall why I packed that instead!)

a bit too wide especially with long shadows creeping into the scene hence I’ve had to do a rule of halves as opposed to rule of thirds to keep the shadows out.
Like the 5x7 exposure, it’s not going to be a master piece ( would have been better with long lens) but I’ve got out and now put both backs through their paces.

Sadly, although I have an hour and a half of time left, the chances of another exposure elsewhere are slim.
With a 45 min walk home with the time needed to pack away , it doesn’t give me time to set up again without being very much pressurised which is not what I wish to experience when shooting LF.

604195A1-178D-4FDE-A5B6-D158F1D6221F.jpeg

Last edited:
Sadly although I have an hour and a half of time left, the chances of another exposure elsewhere are slim.

Out today and only 1.5 hours left...:confused: Is it because of rain clouds coming?

This has to be the fastest
wet print that I’ve done ( or at least the fastest since grade splitting)

Test strip at grade zero
Test strip at grade 5
Assessment made and test strip using the grades and times that appeared to be correct and voila, the result.

I was thinkingat first glance that its too dark but in artificiel white light it’s difficult for me to judge as I base all my prints on daylight.

Tbh
think it will be fine.
If not then slight adjustment in exposure duration or possibly a grade 4.5
I’ll know better tomorrow

Taken temporarily out of its wash to grab this image.

A84D2695-EF89-4075-868A-E28153EC10CD.jpeg
CCA5D9A9-A465-4F8E-AB41-1E3DFCC098A4.jpeg

Out today and only 1.5 hours left...:confused: Is it because of rain clouds coming?
No Bri it’s cos we can only go out for a limited period of time unless lockdown has been lifted without my knowledge
And the police seem to take it seriously, according to this story on the BBC
Live Reporting
Edited by Mal Siret and Owen Amos
  1. Posted at 13:5513:55

A French court has ruled that an elderly woman diagnosed with dementia must pay a fine of €166 (£151; $201) for having put the wrong date on her form for leaving home during lockdown.
    Her daughter had appealed against the fine imposed during a police check in April.
    In France's coronavirus lockdown, a downloadable form has to be filled in whenever a person wants to leave home.
    France Bleu news says the woman, 73, was stopped while out shopping in Luxeuil, eastern France.
    Since late October France has been in a second lockdown - and the forms are still necessary. Most shops are open, but there are tight travel restrictions.
    The daily infection rate is more than double the 5,000 daily cases set as the target for easing restrictions in a week's time

And the police seem to take it seriously, according to this story on the BBC
Yes be aware that human errors are not accepted out here unless of course you are a govt official/ representative then you can flirk up as much as you want.
Still, I prefer to live here than in the UK and where I’m located the photography opportunities are at times something rather special. ;)

DSC03096.jpg

DSC03123.jpg

What a disastrous trip!

By lunchtime it was threatening to stop raining and I had almost finished making the lens board for my new pinhole shutter so I decided to go up to Tilberthwaite because I thought the old quarry buildings up there might make good pinhole subjects. Got up there and the light was starting to improve so walked up to where I thought the quarry buildings were but I'd got the wrong quarry :facepalm:

Back down to the track only to find I lost my glasses somewhere along the way so squinted vaguely at the map. A bit further along the track I found the path up to the right quarry but by this time the light was going, anyway not to be put off I set up for a 3 minute pinhole exposure and found that both slides on one DDS were not pushed fully home. I guessed it might be OK so made the exposure anyway and then it started raining! I left it for the 3 minutes, packed up and moved on. I found a spot for a rule-of-thirds shot so set up again with a proper lens, looked at the ground glass to focus and there was a big crack right across it :( I guess distracted by this I then put the DDS in the wrong way and double exposed the first shot. So I tried again.

Next up and on to the second DDS that I had with me I made a 6 minute pinhole exposure and of course it started raining again. More distraction and in failing light, I forgot to put the slide in before trying to take the DDS out of the back, never done that before but we live and learn. Since I was already set up and had one frame left I shot it again. It was nearly dark by the time I got back to the car.

Time for a wee dram I think...

View attachment 301850

View attachment 301851

What a disastrous trip!

By lunchtime it was threatening to stop raining and I had almost finished making the lens board for my new pinhole shutter so I decided to go up to Tilberthwaite because I thought the old quarry buildings up there might make good pinhole subjects. Got up there and the light was starting to improve so walked up to where I thought the quarry buildings were but I'd got the wrong quarry :facepalm:

Back down to the track only to find I lost my glasses somewhere along the way so squinted vaguely at the map. A bit further along the track I found the path up to the right quarry but by this time the light was going, anyway not to be put off I set up for a 3 minute pinhole exposure and found that both slides on one DDS were not pushed fully home. I guessed it might be OK so made the exposure anyway and then it started raining! I left it for the 3 minutes, packed up and moved on. I found a spot for a rule-of-thirds shot so set up again with a proper lens, looked at the ground glass to focus and there was a big crack right across it :( I guess distracted by this I then put the DDS in the wrong way and double exposed the first shot. So I tried again.

Next up and on to the second DDS that I had with me I made a 6 minute pinhole exposure and of course it started raining again. More distraction and in failing light, I forgot to put the slide in before trying to take the DDS out of the back, never done that before but we live and learn. Since I was already set up and had one frame left I shot it again. It was nearly dark by the time I got back to the car.

Time for a wee dram I think...
I think you're entitled to a large dram after that collection of mishaps Chris. :oops: :$

In fact, I'm so horrified with this that I might have one in sympathy with your travails. :whistle: ;)

Well there was a small tot left in the Scapa Skiren which went quickly so I was forced to open a bottle of Glenmorangie that someone got me for my birthday and you know how quickly this stuff goes off once the bottle is opened so you are welcome to join me :)

In fact, I'm so horrified with this that I might have one in sympathy with your travails. :whistle: ;)
Well there was a small tot left in the Scapa Skiren which went quickly so I was forced to open a bottle of Glenmorangie that someone got me for my birthday and you know how quickly this stuff goes off once the bottle is opened so you are welcome to join me :)
Crikey i might join ya to drink this experience away Chris....... and I don’t drink alcohol.

All the single malts are gorgeous ( I recall them well), so be sure to enjoy ;)

A couple of 5x4 exposures this afternoon.

One showing an area of Sospel that the tourists don’t see and the locals prefer to pretend doesn’t exist.

Sadly like most beautiful places the world over, man has to leave his mark [emoji20]

IMG_1853.JPG

No trains atm as two are blocked in Sospel due to blocked signals.

I wonder if my messing about with this lever to obtain a better composition of the railway lines has anything to do with it [emoji23] lol

dd41de3a-62d4-497a-8ef2-f59fb1c10a57.jpg

IMG_1854.JPG

Fortunately I have several film holders with me loaded with different film as the one that I wanted to use ( a fidelity elite) refused to enter the rear standard of the Walker Titan ..... it seems there is a physical difference in size to the TOYO ones but I don’t recall ever having problems before.

Seeing as I know someone else with the same camera, perhaps @StephenM m would be kind enough to try a fidelity holder ( assuming he has one) in his Walker Titan to see if the issue is isolated to me or not.

Last edited:
I can try one if you like, but in 5x4 I only have 1 Toyo holder, the rest being Fidelity, and I've not had a problem. I should sort out and count film holders, so if it can wait till the new year I could try all my 5x4 holders. I'll post my findings in a new thread.

Seeing as I know someone else with the same camera, perhaps @StephenM m would be kind enough to try a fidelity holder ( assuming he has one) in his Walker Titan to see if the issue is isolated to me or not.
I can try one if you )

like, but in 5x4 I only have 1 Toyo holder, the rest being Fidelity, and I've not had a problem. I should sort out and count film holders, so if it can wait till the new year I could try all my 5x4 holders. I'll post my findings in a new thread.

Having returned home and got the kit set up to air, I’ve had a closer look at the rear standard. ( Priority job of course even before removing coat! :p

I have , iirc two fidelity holders in5x4 so tried the other ...... same problem.
The back being graflock has the two sliders for holding roll film backs and such like

9FEFFE76-BB2B-4E7F-9B23-8A48C28FF590.jpeg

Attempts at moving these slidersproved impossible .
It seems that the previous owner had tightened the screws down so nothing would move.
Remedy,slackened all four screws 1/8th of a turn and hey presto they both moved back a fraction, just enough to comfortably allow the insert of the fidelity holders. :)

Interesting to perhaps note that there are different tolerances between different makes.

I did find out a while ago that the 10x8 darkslides are significantly different in their widths between TOYO and Fidelity brands.

Thanks for the offer to try your holders Stephen..... perhaps sorting and counting what you have may still remain a good idea;)

Last edited:
Chamonix day today so more 5x4.
This scene, just a 15 min walk from home appealed to me when out doing my limited walk allowances during lockdown.
I noticed that for a short period of time between 1.30 and 2pm , if there was a bit of cloud and just before the sun drops down behind the mountains located behind me, the light fell in rather nicely in the foreground , gently bouncing off the trees whilst the mountains offered light / shadow interest due to the sun being low.

Not the clearest of days for the distant mountains but worth an exposure so we’ll see what comes of it.
1BF3FC5A-916F-4428-8E12-B5228A2BB400.jpeg

Well I've had two outings with the MPP yesterday and and the day before but both times forgot to take a shot for this thread :facepalm:

I’ve been out with Wuddy ( the Canham) for the past three hours.
The first attempt at composition proved to be impossible due to the amount of movements required to correct verticals whilst still keeping the composure that I hoped for so after spending an eternity trying, I gave up and moved on.
Second attempt looked perfect, easy enough to composer, tiny bit of swing and job will be good..... nope cos I got set up , looked at the image on the GG screen and realised that I had previewed the scene on my phone based on a 300mm lens ..... I have a 210 in my bag and unless risking my life in the middle of the road , that too proved impossible but is earmarked for another day.
This last ditched attempt ( last cos I am worn out and simply feel like today’s togging was destined not to be, has been awkward to set up for , squashed up tight in a corner with little room to manœuvre. Nonetheless I persevered only to the catch the tripod leg and through the whole composure out.

atm the camera is still set up so I may, that’s a big nay, be tempted to try again though tbh I wanna go home and sulk! Lol

E3982DA9-6728-49CE-ACF3-7C62D6431093.jpeg

Attachments

• 120189C1-CBC3-4C35-A76F-D0A15F2BF66F.jpeg
    120189C1-CBC3-4C35-A76F-D0A15F2BF66F.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A4B06F65-8BBD-494D-B9B0-159EE67E0DB4.jpeg
    A4B06F65-8BBD-494D-B9B0-159EE67E0DB4.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 6
Was that YOUR composure or the photo's? :oops: :$ :exit:
Both I think lol

All in all a very unproductive togging day......:confused:
I returned home and am presently sulking :sulk::LOL: