SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

I like that result Nick..... it has atmosphere to it and makes modern London look. well,atmospheric [emoji23]
If you look carefully you can see Boris on the HoP terrace p***ing in the Thames.

makes a change from "on the working class and pensioners" I suppose.

makes a change from "on the working class and pensioners" I suppose.
Then there's the last Labour government, who (in 2007) passed a law saying that I needed to work another 2 years just to become a pensioner, despite me leaving school at 15 and starting full time work after the summer holidays that year. So let's not forget that little gem, and who delivered it!

I just hope I manage to reach 67 to claim back some of what I've paid in all those years, and that I'm still physically and mentally fit enough to enjoy a bit of retirement after 51 years hard and often physical work, No, I didn't stay at school until I was 18, then go to Uni, have a gap year or two, then finally start full time work when I got to my mid to late 20s! By that time I'd already worked 10 years! So don't talk to me about governments peeing on people!

Now can we leave politics alone and get back on topic please?

Last edited:
Ok so it looks like I’m kicking this thread into first gear.
Out atm and have just taken this shot:

View attachment 281252

Camera today is Chamonix 45h-1

This filling station literally exploded , well the propane gas cyclinders did four years ago iirc. It is/ was the only fuel outlet in the village the next nearest being 20 km away.

Due Togo’s slow systems work out here when it comes to admin procedures thé reopening is still on hold even though there is an interested entrepreneur.
For me personally, no longer possessing à motorised vehicle, it poses no problem but for many locals it is a serious inconvenience.
Directly across the road is the present and old gendarmerie.
A building which will soon become abandoned as a new one is being built near to the railway station .
So I’m going to set up and hopefully shoot a frame depending how the light falls as atm there are some harsh conteast.

View attachment 281254

OK a couple of results.

Straight off the scanner so excuse any dust etc etc.

Reasonably happy with them.

Not sure what's gone on in the top RH corner of the filling station image though

small.jpg

garage small.jpg

Seeing as I stuffed the mountain shot from the other day, I’ve returned to the same location with big Bertha intrepid 10x8

Storms expected again soon and light rain already begun as I stand here but the light keeps changing so maybe just maybe I’ll get result....... more likely is a soaking[emoji22]

IMG_1143.JPGIMG_1144.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1145.JPG
    IMG_1145.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 16
Did you grab the shot?

Now that’ll be telling [emoji13]

Actually yes I did say sod it and exposed a sheet as the scene was very shall we say wet [emoji23], no atmospheric , but sadly the light was pretty naff and the blue patches to break up the cloudy sky were not in the scene so I don’t expect it to be great tbh.

It may not even come good anyway as atm I’m dealing with a light entry issue when shooting the10x8 in landscape orientation like today.
A leak that as yet I haven’t managed to located it’s source.

It may not even come good anyway as atm I’m dealing with a light entry issue when shooting the10x8 in landscape orientation like today. A leak that as yet I haven’t managed to located it’s source.
That should be easy now... just look for where the rain has come through! You see, every cloud has a silver lining! ;)

That's not bad, probably worth taking the shot even if it wasn't what you wanted.

That's not bad, probably worth taking the shot even if it wasn't what you wanted.

Thanks!

I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcome….better than i expected tbh.

As you can see from the scene in post 47, I didn't mess about in making the decission to fire the shutter.

It may not even come good anyway as atm I’m dealing with a light entry issue when shooting the10x8 in landscape orientation like today.
A leak that as yet I haven’t managed to located it’s source.

Is that a light leak in your new camera?

Is that a light leak in your new camera?

Yeah though the camera is new to me not new from manufacturer.

I haven’t pinpointed where the problem lies exactly. No sign of a problem with yesterday’s shot but saying that it was black as night [emoji23]

More testing required I think .

Defo a problem but clearly the leak is only small and exasperated with the longer exposures. Makes it very difficult to trace tbh.

Yeah though the camera is new to me not new from manufacturer.

I haven’t pinpointed where the problem lies exactly. No sign of a problem with yesterday’s shot but saying that it was black as night [emoji23]

More testing required I think .

Defo a problem but clearly the leak is only small and exasperated with the longer exposures. Makes it very difficult to trace tbh.

Dark room, camera on tripod, lens board off. Shine a little torch at the back, around the edges where the film holder mates with the rear standard. If you manage to hit the gap with the beam, it should be pretty obvious inside the camera when you're looking through the front standard. When I was doing this with the Marion, it was sometimes tricky to get the torch beam shining at the right place, but the leak was clearly visible when I did.

Note that the issue could be with the film holder, around the dark slide, rather than between the holder and the rear standard. It also might only be evident when the dark slide is out (or partially out if you leave it in the slot when making the exposure).

Dark room, camera on tripod, lens board off. Shine a little torch at the back, around the edges where the film holder mates with the rear standard. If you manage to hit the gap with the beam, it should be pretty obvious inside the camera when you're looking through the front standard. When I was doing this with the Marion, it was sometimes tricky to get the torch beam shining at the right place, but the leak was clearly visible when I did.

Note that the issue could be with the film holder, around the dark slide, rather than between the holder and the rear standard. It also might only be evident when the dark slide is out (or partially out if you leave it in the slot when making the exposure).

Cheers Nomad.
Yes I’ve done a load of torch checking etc already to no avail hence more tests needed.

I thought film holder initially but the leakage only occurs when the camera back is in landscape orientation.
Portrait is absolutely fine and yes I’ve used both sides of the holder and purposely in full sun hitting the dark slide entries of the holder.

I’ll get it sorted..... just very frustrating to lose images in the meantime.

Cheers Nomad.
Yes I’ve done a load of torch checking etc already to no avail hence more tests needed.

I thought film holder initially but the leakage only occurs when the camera back is in landscape orientation.
Portrait is absolutely fine and yes I’ve used both sides of the holder and purposely in full sun hitting the dark slide entries of the holder.

I’ll get it sorted..... just very frustrating to lose images in the meantime.
Is it possible to fit the back the other way round in landscape orientation, i.e. loading the darkslide from the left instead of the right? Not sure if it will help, but might be worth a try to see if there's any difference. :thinking:

Is it possible to fit the back the other way round in landscape orientation, i.e. loading the darkslide from the left instead of the right? Not sure if it will help, but might be worth a try to see if there's any difference. :thinking:

Now then why the eco didn’t I think of that?
Cos I’m from too far sarf (Yorkshire! ) [emoji23]

Been there, done that :) Look for the groove in the back that lines up with the ridge on the dark slide.

Went out after dark last night with a view to shooting some 5x4, however I need more practice with the adjustments in the house first and not in the dark as I had an excess of floor in my shot! All was not lost, though as I had packed the 67 with some Cinestill 800 and managed to make 6 frames before heading home. IMG_1774.jpgIMG_1775.jpgIMG_1778.jpg

Went out after dark last night with a view to shooting some 5x4, however I need more practice with the adjustments in the house first and not in the dark as I had an excess of floor in my shot! All was not lost, though as I had packed the 67 with some Cinestill 800 and managed to make 6 frames before heading home. View attachment 282697View attachment 282698View attachment 282699
Good to hear you got out with the LF but yes, first attempts in daylight are likely to prove easier

Tbh I initially found myself becoming confused with what to turn which way etc as being impatient like I sometimes can be, I wanted to learn it all at once.
´
An easier approach I think is to concentrate on one type of movement at a time.
For example,try a landscape of some description which Generally requires nothing more than front to back focus.
With that it’s simply a matter of front tilt ...... focus on near, tilt for the the far and repeat ( generally three times is good to go)
Stop down to bring the middle ground sharp and voila!

Perhaps then try the same focusing by using the rear back tilt to learn the distinct differences that apply when achieving the same goal. To start with, focus far then tilt for the near.
Often more ‘work is required to achieve the back to front focus and because the rear standard is moving , there will be some distortion of the image which may or may not add a pleasing effect to the end result depending on your tastes.
The one big advantage is that rear tilt requires less of the image circle so if your lens coverage is a little tight then rear standard movements can offer a distinct advantage.

It’s quite possible that you have already read and learnt some / most of this but if not, hopefully it will offer a little help.

Okay, lockdown's getting to me, and I wanted to "tell a story" of a weekend away a while ago...

One day, the ringleader of a group of friends said "lets go to the Lake district for a Long Weekend... It'll be fun - scenery, fresh air, good pubs, cafes, food and a few beers in the evening, whats not to like...

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_017 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

the girls liked the idea...

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_009 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Chris was unconvinced but decideded to make up the numbers...

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_015 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

so, off we went, unfortunately, you can see from our attire that the weather didn't exactly co-operate, and after a couple of hours we found ourselves thinking that perhaps getting off the hills before any more cloud came down might be a good idea...

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_007 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

so, before there was a full on rebellion

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_002 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

the Ringleader decided to cut short the route and head for what passed for civilisation
mentioning that there was a cafe in the hamlet below proved a great motivator.

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_013 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

and soon everyone was moving along nicely.

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_006 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

but the great thing about a day on the hills, if the weather isn't playing ball...

FujiHG100_2019-05-11_023 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

is that it really helps build an appetite...

(ETA: yeah, I know, continuity... I took massive liberties with the shooting order to tell the story. So shoot Me. In fact, you don't need to, that's me being shot in the first frame, technically it's Moira's photo (the attractively windswept Auburn beauty in photo 2), but as I basically pre-focussed, set the camera to manual and handed it to her to act as a voice actuated camera stand and remote shutter release, I'm claiming it...)

Last edited:
Some may have read elsewhere on here that I have this mad idea of taking a panorama on a 6x6 folder camera by controlling the wind-on and angle of turn (link here and here). So yesterday I thought I would try it out. I've wanted to for a while, but the light has been dismal and murky when it's not actually been wet.

First I had to get the Ikonta onto the pano head on my tripod. It's actually a Manfrotto fairly cheap head, but I've done a conversion from the Manfrotto QR clamp to an Arca-Swiss one, and this came with a pano facility. It's a bit of a pain in general use, actually, because the knob that tightens up to stop the clamp rotating doesn't work too well (you'll see a bit of a theme developing here). Anyway, I had to get an Arca plate onto the Ikonta. This also turned out to be a pain; the "tripod socket" on the Ikonta is normally used to hold the half case on, and it's raised above the base of the camera on a slightly dome-shaped bit of metal. This meant that it was very difficult to screw the plate on tightly. In practice in the field, the darn thing kept coming loose! :(

Anyway, I thought I'd take a sequence of 3 shots first, to remind myself how the camera works. Set up the camera on the "near side" of Kenilworth Castle:

iPhone Ikonta Castle 1.jpg

(There's a dire amount of chromatic aberration there!) So that seemed to go well enough. I then went round to the far side, and set up at a point where the whole castle would fit in the viewfinder vertically, but with the option of taking 3 overlapping shots to make an approximate 6x17 panorama.

iPhone Ikonta Castle 2.jpg

I figured I had to take the first shot, then wind on to the last circle on the backing paper (ie before the next frame number), then rotate the camera about 39 degrees, and take the next shot. The wind on should be enough to overcome the multi-exposure prevention.

So I took the first shot, and wound on. I could hear the noise as the anti-ME thing was disabled, which was good. Then I had to wind on. Because the sun was over my left shoulder, I had to turn the camera before exposing the red window. Darn it, I'd left the little red torch thingo behind. :( Assuming that FP4 backing paper was the same as HP5, I had to wind on to the 4th circle. Wind, wind, wind... darn it, the next frame number! :( OK, maybe FP4 only has 3 circles on the backing paper (or the first circle is too hard to see). Anyway, that's the first attempt gone. Back to the original position, re-take the first shot, spin so the red window is in the shade, wind on to the 3rd circle... darn it, the clamp has come loose and the body is turning freely relative to the clamp! :( Take it off, tighten up, wind on to the frame number, back first position.

Next time I was too gentle on the shutter release, managed to set the anti-ME thingy but not fire the shutter. Now the normal button wouldn't fire, I had to go round to the front and work out how to defeat the anti-ME thingy, which I did, except I was standing in front of the lens! :(

Next time, the first shot worked perfectly, and so did the wind-on. I'd already spotted that the pano head thingy was not marked in degrees, but actually in 2.5 degree steps. But still, I figured 40 degrees would be close enough to 39 degrees. By this time, I was beginning to lose the will, but I had to give it a try. I managed to get 3 (hopefully overlapping) shots... and then went back and did it again!

Finally I was left with one frame to take, so moved back to the top of the field where I could get the whole castle in the viewfinder:

iPhone Ikonta Castle 3.jpg

So, we'll see. At this stage I must say it appears those who were sceptical of this idea were right. On the other hand, a 6x17 camera must be a couple of grand, so it's worth a try.

My father's Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 (with the cheaper 75mm lens), and FP4+ film. Mostly 1/125 and f/11.

Last edited:
That's some story Chris, so much respect for your efforts and looking forward to the results. :notworthy::notworthy:

Sorry to hear about your woes Chris but you've got to start somewhere and this sounds like a fun challenge. You've got me pondering if I should have a go with the Holga which has no wind-on stops, I'm also wondering about the practicalities of marking up an old backing paper in centimetres or similar and then unwinding a film and rewinding it in the marked backing paper

That's some story Chris, so much respect for your efforts and looking forward to the results. :notworthy::notworthy:

^^WHS^^
Be sure to post up the results Chris Ieven if you’re unfortunate not to obtain the result you want.
‘By thé sounds of it there’s a reasonable chance you’ll get something worthwhile.
I would hope so given all your efforts and perseverance ( something I can emphasise with even if not using thé same format.)

Obtaing a pano in this manner isn’t something I’ve tried.... I doubt if I would have the patience tbh, but of course many folk would say similar to me about shooting LF!

Thanks guys. If anyone has some FP4+ backing paper to photograph or measure that would be helpful...

BTW, in the second post I linked to, I said the Ikonta wound from left to right, so I had to make the pano in that direction. In fact it winds from right left, so I swapped the pano too. I hope I've worked it out right.

Thanks guys. If anyone has some FP4+ backing paper to photograph or measure that would be helpful...

BTW, in the second post I linked to, I said the Ikonta wound from left to right, so I had to make the pano in that direction. In fact it winds from right left, so I swapped the pano too. I hope I've worked it out right.
Have you ever thought about taking some photos of the moon instead?

:whistle:;):exit:

Well Chris it sounds impressive what you have posted, but having no knowledge of the Ikonta and reading and am utterly confused...oh well it's probably just me :rolleyes: and good luck to what you are tryng to achieve and maybe I need to see the results.....a picture is worth a thousand words. o_O

Me here again to bore you [emoji23] lol

Had hoped to climb up somewhere but the stroll just into the village today has already worn me out :(

Anyway I’m in a small park next to the railway station which is quite pleasant and generally calming like it is atm.

Not sure this scene of what used to be a fountain will please me greatly in b&w but I may be surprised.

And just to shock you with an upside down head I’ve removed head gear as it’s about a thousand degrees underneath a darkcloth![emoji51]
IMG_1239.JPGIMG_1240.JPG

I was just clearing my memory card of digital files the other day when I discovered this...
XT025503.jpg
I really enjoy working with studio lights and the RB.

This was the outcome: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/my-tak.710732/

Major issues were light bleed through from the curtains and light reflection from the LH wall back onto the subject. Guitar was perched on the stand rather than secured in it to avoid getting the "prongs" in the shot. Strap had to be removed too. Lesson is that the bigger your subject the bigger your working space needs to be. The coffee table is a 2 person lift so I had to work round it.

All good fun!

Snoot was to give a bit of supporting light to the left hand edge and also to illuminate the hole to give a sense of depth. Still got some shots on Washi A in the film back.

I was just clearing my memory card of digital files the other day when I discovered this...
View attachment 283313
I really enjoy working with studio lights and the RB.

This was the outcome: https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/my-tak.710732/

Major issues were light bleed through from the curtains and light reflection from the LH wall back onto the subject. Guitar was perched on the stand rather than secured in it to avoid getting the "prongs" in the shot. Strap had to be removed too. Lesson is that the bigger your subject the bigger your working space needs to be. The coffee table is a 2 person lift so I had to work round it.

All good fun!

Snoot was to give a bit of supporting light to the left hand edge and also to illuminate the hole to give a sense of depth. Still got some shots on Washi A in the film back.

Looks like you put in a similar amount of work setting that up as I do for my darkroom.
Perhaps wait until after dark to eliminate the light entry through the curtains.
I can’t do with the headache of trying to black out my room in broad daylight!

So second frame of the day in the bag.

Sky was crap but not too much in the scene anyway.
Thé kit is still set up and the sky is changing so I might be tempted to grab another although a soft grad will be necessary I think as the sky is considerably brighter than the rest of the scene.

IMG_1242.JPG

Thé kit is still set up and the sky is changing so I might be tempted to grab another although a soft grad will be necessary I think as the sky is considerably brighter than the rest of the scene.

View attachment 283332
Nice scene, your’e right though it needs some interest in the sky.

View attachment 283332

Is that Tabac shop permanetly closed? And there is no one around is it siesta time or whatever?

Is that Tabac shop permanetly closed? And there is no one around is it siesta time or whatever?

Yes sadly it’s another shop that closed its doors but long before I came to Sospel. It is soooo tiny inside with a roof height that would only suit Nick lol

It’s always siesta time in the village Bri......

A lot of old folk will have been out this morning then stayed indoors after lunch to avoid the heat.

Then the younger ones are at work, many of them commute to the coast.
Suits me if it’s dead especially when trying to capture shots in the village center.

Back