SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Did anyone notice the Stone photo gear film holder cascade ( my recent new toy) hung from the tripod in the bridge shot?

I actually used it in the park shot too but had forgotten to attach it to the tripod initially as it hasn’t yet become the ‘norm’.

It does what it’s supposed to and will prove to be a valuable accessory:)

Thanks guys. If anyone has some FP4+ backing paper to photograph or measure that would be helpful...

BTW, in the second post I linked to, I said the Ikonta wound from left to right, so I had to make the pano in that direction. In fact it winds from right left, so I swapped the pano too. I hope I've worked it out right.
I’ve got a roll of Ilford PanF+ I can measure, I’m not sure if it’s any different to FP4+ though, is that likely?

I’ve got a roll of Ilford PanF+ I can measure, I’m not sure if it’s any different to FP4+ though, is that likely?
Well as said in the MF Pano thread, I devved the film myself in the end so now have the FP4 backing paper and can confirm it is the same as HP5. The good news is I can measure things a bit more precisely than from a printout of someone else's photo! The bad news is that I have yet to actually see the first little circle on the backing paper (it IS there) in the red window!

Some may have read elsewhere on here that I have this mad idea of taking a panorama on a 6x6 folder camera by controlling the wind-on and angle of turn (link here and here). So yesterday I thought I would try it out. I've wanted to for a while, but the light has been dismal and murky when it's not actually been wet.

First I had to get the Ikonta onto the pano head on my tripod. It's actually a Manfrotto fairly cheap head, but I've done a conversion from the Manfrotto QR clamp to an Arca-Swiss one, and this came with a pano facility. It's a bit of a pain in general use, actually, because the knob that tightens up to stop the clamp rotating doesn't work too well (you'll see a bit of a theme developing here). Anyway, I had to get an Arca plate onto the Ikonta. This also turned out to be a pain; the "tripod socket" on the Ikonta is normally used to hold the half case on, and it's raised above the base of the camera on a slightly dome-shaped bit of metal. This meant that it was very difficult to screw the plate on tightly. In practice in the field, the darn thing kept coming loose! :(

Anyway, I thought I'd take a sequence of 3 shots first, to remind myself how the camera works. Set up the camera on the "near side" of Kenilworth Castle:

View attachment 283013

(There's a dire amount of chromatic aberration there!) So that seemed to go well enough. I then went round to the far side, and set up at a point where the whole castle would fit in the viewfinder vertically, but with the option of taking 3 overlapping shots to make an approximate 6x17 panorama.

View attachment 283014

I figured I had to take the first shot, then wind on to the last circle on the backing paper (ie before the next frame number), then rotate the camera about 39 degrees, and take the next shot. The wind on should be enough to overcome the multi-exposure prevention.

So I took the first shot, and wound on. I could hear the noise as the anti-ME thing was disabled, which was good. Then I had to wind on. Because the sun was over my left shoulder, I had to turn the camera before exposing the red window. Darn it, I'd left the little red torch thingo behind. :( Assuming that FP4 backing paper was the same as HP5, I had to wind on to the 4th circle. Wind, wind, wind... darn it, the next frame number! :( OK, maybe FP4 only has 3 circles on the backing paper (or the first circle is too hard to see). Anyway, that's the first attempt gone. Back to the original position, re-take the first shot, spin so the red window is in the shade, wind on to the 3rd circle... darn it, the clamp has come loose and the body is turning freely relative to the clamp! :( Take it off, tighten up, wind on to the frame number, back first position.

Next time I was too gentle on the shutter release, managed to set the anti-ME thingy but not fire the shutter. Now the normal button wouldn't fire, I had to go round to the front and work out how to defeat the anti-ME thingy, which I did, except I was standing in front of the lens! :(

Next time, the first shot worked perfectly, and so did the wind-on. I'd already spotted that the pano head thingy was not marked in degrees, but actually in 2.5 degree steps. But still, I figured 40 degrees would be close enough to 39 degrees. By this time, I was beginning to lose the will, but I had to give it a try. I managed to get 3 (hopefully overlapping) shots... and then went back and did it again!

Finally I was left with one frame to take, so moved back to the top of the field where I could get the whole castle in the viewfinder:

View attachment 283016

So, we'll see. At this stage I must say it appears those who were sceptical of this idea were right. On the other hand, a 6x17 camera must be a couple of grand, so it's worth a try.

My father's Zeiss Ikonta 524/16 (with the cheaper 75mm lens), and FP4+ film. Mostly 1/125 and f/11.

I've shown the best result in the Medium Format Panorama thread...

I rather liked this blooper, on the way:

2006AZikBW Oops.jpg

This was the pano version that failed... as you can see, the left hand tower section is duplicated in the left frame, so I got the angles all wrong (or maybe the camera move on the QR plate again). And I don't know what that shadow was...

2006AZikBW Castle Pano fail.jpg

And this was the final shot, to use up the roll:

2006AZikBW Castle final.jpg

All Zeiss Ikonta 524/16, Novar Anastigmat 75/3.5, FP4+, HC 110 in Lab-Box, continuous agitation 7m 40s, Epson 500

In all the preparation for this, I forgot that the Epson V500 120 film holder only has space for 2 frames at a time! Since stitching would have ruined the whole point, I had to scan on the glass. I can't see any hint of Newton's Rings... positioning on the glass is a bit of a pig, though.

Last edited:
Just shot this on negative film and realised I’ve exposed two stops over☹️

IMG_1266.JPG

Now wondering wether to flip the dds and expose the sheet of paper on the other side
I might change thé focusing a little sort of creative like so it kinda looks professional and I can think I’m clever [emoji23] lol
There again its the only unexposedsheet left so I might hold back in case I see something else that interests me before going home.

Oh well just the one exposure.
I can always ask Bri to balance up the exposure in post.
Oh hang he is a dab hand at pulling em back from under exposure ! [emoji23] lol

Just shot this on negative film and realised I’ve exposed two stops over☹️

View attachment 283774

Now wondering wether to flip the dds and expose the sheet of paper on the other side
I might change thé focusing a little sort of creative like so it kinda looks professional and I can think I’m clever [emoji23] lol
There again its the only unexposedsheet left so I might hold back in case I see something else that interests me before going home.

2 over is better than 2 under.

For negative film, yes... is that still true for paper, I wonder (no idea, BTW)?

I thought he said he'd underexposed the shot on neg film? :confused:

OVER exposed on NEG film!

Yet to be developed which ain’t gunna be anytime soon but I reckon the dynamic range of b&w film will have coped reasonably ok with my incompetence [emoji6]

OVER exposed on NEG film!

Yet to be developed which ain’t gunna be anytime soon but I reckon the dynamic range of b&w film will have coped reasonably ok with my incompetence [emoji6]

Yep, my bad I meant over exposed.

FWIW on my first film outing since lockdown on Saturday I forgot to allow for my polariser on the first 2 shots so underexposed those by probably 2 stops. Out of practice hand metering, need to do better.........

Discovered a minor problem with the shed/shop/studio, that lovely light you get from a North facing window in the summer means its too bright in the evening so cover the window and shut the door and control the light or shut the door and cook.

Discovered a minor problem with the shed/shop/studio, that lovely light you get from a North facing window in the summer means its too bright in the evening so cover the window and shut the door and control the light or shut the door and cook.
You should try a darkroom in the attic like I did when I was a youngster... freeze to death in winter, spring and autumn and treat it as a sauna in summer, but it was pretty much perfect about 3 days of the year!

I had a day off work last week and decided to go for a hike and make some photographs. I took my Yashica Mat 124G loaded with a roll of Fomapan 100 (plus a roll of HP5+ in case I needed more shots), and the Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 loaded with a roll of 2003 expired Ektachrome E200. I carried the cameras and other bits in a shoulder bag and the tripod in my hand. There aren't any of the Zeiss shots included here bacause a) I haven't had the developed negs back yet and, b) I didn't take any photos of the setup for these. As it is, I also forgot to take photos of the setup for half the roll of Fomapan as well, so there are only five shots featured here.

I decided to drive to Low Bradfield, a village on the northern outskirts of Sheffield. Above (and below) the village are a series of reservoirs - Strines; Dale Dyke; Agden; and Damflask. My walk took me up the valley to Dale Dyke reservoir (famous because it catastrpophically failed in 1864, killing 244 people in what was known as the Great Sheffield Flood), then across the valley bottom below the dam wall. From there I climbed the northern side of the valley and dropped down to Agden reservoir on the other side, following the eastern edge of the water and descending back to my starting point. The total distance is a little under 8km.

All the photos featured here are from the first half of the walk - from Low Bradfield to Dale Dyke.

This is the second shot on the roll, but the first where I took a record of the setup. It's on the first footpath I took out of Low Bradfield.

1a - the setup

20200622_085400_resized
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

1b - the result

Forming part of the wall

Shots 3 - 5 are omitted because, again, some idiot forgot to take the setup photos on their phone. :)
Shot 4 on the roll is of a structure close to the edge of the reservoir, possibly some sort of pumping station or water testing facility.

2a - the setup
20200622_093901_resized by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

2b - the result

A place in the trees

Shot 5 is a view across the spillway bridge and the dam wall with the northern side of the valley in the distance. The spillway bridge is a nicely decorated iron affair and I've seen some attractive pictures of it. However, as it wasn't obvious as to how I would find a suitable vantage point, and as the spillway was dry, I didn't take any photos of it apart from this one.

3a - the setup

20200622_094638_resized

3b - the result

At the dam wall

Last edited:
Cont...

Shot 6 is of a series of stone steps that descend down to the water at the base of the spillway. I used a wider aperture here to narrow the depth of field (most of the other shots - apart from the last - were shot at f/11 - f/16.

4a - the setup

20200622_095335_resized

4b - the result

Descending through trees

Shot 7 is a bust, because I forgot to take the setup shot again, but shows the pumping equipment where the water continues its journey downstream. I took the same shot twice because I thought I'd moved the camera during the exposure, but I ended up with two identical tack sharp photos of the same thing! The next (and last!) shot I recorded is off the calm waters a little downstream where low hanging branches dip down towards the water. The result wasn't quite what I envisioned, but there's something about those leaves at the top of the frame that I find really attractive.

5a - the setup

20200622_100426_resized

5b - the result

Branches reflected at water's edge

There was one more shot taken on the roll, but - you guessed it - I forgot to record the setup. :D

Last edited:
:facepalm: Doh! went up the Duddon valley yesterday to take some snaps and forgot all about taking some setup shots for this thread. I'll try to remember next time.

You should try a darkroom in the attic like I did when I was a youngster... freeze to death in winter, spring and autumn and treat it as a sauna in summer, but it was pretty much perfect about 3 days of the year!

With you there spent all winter trying to photograph stuff in a down jacket! Should keep all my woodwork for the winter, you work up quite a sweat dimensioning rough lumber with hand tools.

I had a day off work last week and decided to go for a hike and make some photographs. I took my Yashica ... and the Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 loaded with a roll of 2003 expired Ektachrome E200. I carried the cameras and other bits in a shoulder bag and the tripod in my hand. There aren't any of the Zeiss shots included here bacause a) I haven't had the developed negs back yet and, b) I didn't take any photos of the setup for these. ...

I enjoyed the shots you did post, Nige, but I'm intrigued about the "setup" with the Ikonta. I reported above how tricky I found it to use my Ikonta on the tripod (with a QR plate). I guess it's easier given you're likely not relying on precise rotation for a pano, but anyway, a description of what you did would be interesting to me!

(I quite like my old Dad's Ikonta, but I don't like his tatty old leather case with the top missing; OTOH without it, there doesn't seem to be any way to attach a strap to the camera, at all!)

I enjoyed the shots you did post, Nige, but I'm intrigued about the "setup" with the Ikonta. I reported above how tricky I found it to use my Ikonta on the tripod (with a QR plate). I guess it's easier given you're likely not relying on precise rotation for a pano, but anyway, a description of what you did would be interesting to me!

(I quite like my old Dad's Ikonta, but I don't like his tatty old leather case with the top missing; OTOH without it, there doesn't seem to be any way to attach a strap to the camera, at all!)

Thanks Chris.

With the Ikonta, I attached a quick-release plate to the tripod socket so I could mount it if required, or shoot handheld if I didn't. There were a few shots I took with it in a wooded area where I needed longer exposures, so I used the tripod then and, as I'd finished the roll of Fomapan in the Yashica by then, just left the Zeiss stuck atop the tripod for the rest of the walk. As I wasn't doing any panos (and my tripod head doesn't have a pano movement anyway), all I needed to use were the ball-head controls for framing my shots and then to focus using the uncoupled rangefinder. Using the tripod with the Zeiss is trickier, but mainly because it has such small rangefinder and viewfinder windows, meaning you sometimes have to contort yourself a little to get the correct eyeline. Handheld though, it's fine.

I don't have a case for mine at all, so it either resides in the camera bag, in a pocket (a huge benefit of folding MF cameras!), or - as in this case - just stuck on the tripod while I walk around.

I've got a Kodak Retina 35mm folder that can feel a little awkward in my hands, but the Mess-Ikonta feels pretty solid and I've never felt that I might drop it.

Last edited:
This week i have been mostly doing science.

Forgot to take a pic of my cramped studio, will next time.

Took four shots of @StephenM colour chart, with a selection of led bulbs and a halogen, let's just say I'm glad leds have been invented, even a piddly 20w halogen turned my shed into a ezebake oven and done a number on my power system.

Following a three week absence, I’ve managed to get out and expose a sheet of film today.
Nothing really exciting, simply a plant that I like the patterns of.
Unable to walk too far nor carry too much, I have brought my ‘everyday’ LF bag which is as basic and as light as I can get it.
Consists of a small backpack , intrepid mk4 black edition camera, a small 135mm convertable lens, couple of filters/ holder, darkcloth , loupe, meter, a film holder and a small , light but very basic tripod which is sufficient but I wouldn’t want to work with it all the time, not even with a 1kg camera attached.

a.jpg

Of course just after setting up the sky decided to release a little rain but I got the shot anyway

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

So now sat under a tree recuperating some energies to make the short stroll back home.
I’d like to go further but ‘tout doucement’ as the French say ( all slowly) .
It’s a start and who knows I might see something else to waste the other sheet of film on en route.

e.jpg

Last edited:
Forgot to add that this everyday pack of kit weighs about 6kg as opposed to my normal togging bag and tripod that amounts to about 11kg!!!
Some people knock the quality and sturdiness of intrepid cameras when comparing against such as old very heavy sinar outfits but when one can wander about with a 6kg pack and go home with 5x4 negatives, what’s not to like.
To be fair the Intrepid’s are not poor quality , far from it and as so far as sturdiness , they are sturdy enough. A 5x4 field camera weighing a kilo ain’t going to be as sturdy as something made almost completely of metal weighing .several kilos more but be assured they function perfectly well ;)

Your phone seems to have helpfully rotated all your photos 90 degrees CCW. That or you're on one hell of a steep slope.

Lol that’s strange as I emailed the portrait to my mother and that shows upright in my sent box. I’ll rectify the images on here when I return home. Easier to do on a real computer:)

A half hour in the darkroom.

This negative was exposed prior to the shared thread being produced so no piccies of the scene set up I’m afraid but to lift my spirits this evening and get me away from dust spotting in PS which I hate doing, I chose to print a 5x4 negative onto 12 x9.5 inch RC paper using the intrepid enlarger kit.

Adjustments.JPG

Sat in the first fixing stage

Adjustments.JPG

Coming out of its second fix

Adjustments.JPG

Into its wash

IMG_1675.JPG

Et voilà, à result and not a bad one tbh

Adjustments.JPG

Me here again to bore you [emoji23] lol

Had hoped to climb up somewhere but the stroll just into the village today has already worn me out :(

Anyway I’m in a small park next to the railway station which is quite pleasant and generally calming like it is atm.

Not sure this scene of what used to be a fountain will please me greatly in b&w but I may be surprised.

And just to shock you with an upside down head I’ve removed head gear as it’s about a thousand degrees underneath a darkcloth![emoji51]
View attachment 283311View attachment 283312

So these are the two original scans from this outing, one with no filter, the other using a green filter.

Now to see which I could work for the most pleasing result (to me)

TP 2 lilly fountain (1).jpg

TP 2 lilly fountain.jpg

Following a three week absence, I’ve managed to get out and expose a sheet of film today.
Nothing really exciting, simply a plant that I like the patterns of.
Unable to walk too far nor carry too much, I have brought my ‘everyday’ LF bag which is as basic and as light as I can get it.
Consists of a small backpack , intrepid mk4 black edition camera, a small 135mm convertable lens, couple of filters/ holder, darkcloth , loupe, meter, a film holder and a small , light but very basic tripod which is sufficient but I wouldn’t want to work with it all the time, not even with a 1kg camera attached.

View attachment 286449

Of course just after setting up the sky decided to release a little rain but I got the shot anyway

View attachment 286450

View attachment 286451

View attachment 286452

So now sat under a tree recuperating some energies to make the short stroll back home.
I’d like to go further but ‘tout doucement’ as the French say ( all slowly) .
It’s a start and who knows I might see something else to waste the other sheet of film on en route.

View attachment 286453

Negative hung up to dry overnight

IMG_1681.JPG

And tomorrow we’ll see how it scans [emoji6]

A half hour in the darkroom.

This negative was exposed prior to the shared thread being produced so no piccies of the scene set up I’m afraid but to lift my spirits this evening and get me away from dust spotting in PS which I hate doing, I chose to print a 5x4 negative onto 12 x9.5 inch RC paper using the intrepid enlarger kit.

View attachment 286663

Sat in the first fixing stage

View attachment 286664

Coming out of its second fix

View attachment 286665

Into its wash

View attachment 286666

Et voilà, à result and not a bad one tbh

View attachment 286667
How do you find the intrepid enlarger adapter?

How do you find the intrepid enlarger adapter?

Thé enlarger kit?

Pretty good tbh.

Let’s put it this way I’m impatient for their release of the 10x8 kit later this year.

As you can see I mount it on a tripod which can take a little time to set up correctly but no big deal using a small level to ensure that all is square.
They do suggest the use of a copy board but atm I haven’t invested in one and tbh don’t know that I will.

As for the illumination and the timer.... spot on imo.

The negative holder ( I presently only have the 5x4 ) is metal and basically the neg is sandwiched between its two sections.
I would prefer their to be a slight recess for the neg to sit in but it’s ok as it is ..... just needs a little more care in setting the beg correctly.

The filter holder clips onto the lens ..... perhaps a little flimsy but it does what it needs to do.
The aperture needs to be set on the lens prior to attaching the holder as it’s nigh on impossible to access the ring with holder in place..... this of course will be determined by the lens that is being used.

Overall a decent piece of kit that is not too expensive, will, I believe work on most 5x4 field cameras ( not just intrépids) and best of all it packs down small enough to store away in a shoe box!!

Walked half way up Ingleborough with the Bronica, a digital thing and lenses, tripod, etc. and was nearly back at the car when I remembered this thread so this is a bit of a set-up shot but at least I remembered this time :)

DSC01811.jpg

Walked half way up Ingleborough with the Bronica, a digital thing and lenses, tripod, etc. and was nearly back at the car when I remembered this thread so this is a bit of a set-up shot but at least I remembered this time :)

View attachment 286927

It's about twenty years since I was last up Ingleborough but I'm sure it was fairly level ( once the slog of a climb was done) :LOL:

At least you 'remembered' this thread ,.......eventually :rolleyes::p

More importantly you remembered your kit so at least the climb wasn't a wasted one ........film results to follow perhaps??

I'm sure it was fairly level

Yeah, it's sort of a Yorkshire version of a Mesa... stupid steep sides most of the way around, with a big bare flat top holding a cross shaped summit "shelter" of drystone walls... I remember one night spent running up and over the length of that damned thing about 4 times, in full kit during a TA "experience weekend" called IIRC "Operation Executive Stretch" during the late 1980's/Early 1990's...

Looks delicious, if a bit overcooked - all the green has been boiled out of it! You're not my mother in law, are you? ;)

Looks delicious, if a bit overcooked - all the green has been boiled out of it! You're not my mother in law, are you? ;)

It's a thing about mother in laws isnt it ...Ive had three and all of em killed veggies! lol

Dont forget that this image has been captured by a camera with a naff lens on an iphone so doesnt really do the print justice.

I didn't think it was too overcooked tbh ( I only simmered it at gas mark 3 ;)) and without doubt it does look "less cooked" in it real paper form although it may still not appeal to you ...sorry, or should that be 'tough!' ;) :p:LOL:)

This is where copmputers / screens etc do my nut in as everyone of em shows an image differently ( not unlike different papers!)

Last edited:
Forest Chapel above Macclesfield Forest. A shot of my Voigtlander Bessa 1 taken with Jan's new Yashica FX1 and Zeiss 50mm f1.7 on very ood Fomapan 200.

Forest Chapel 2 by Andy, on Flickr

Out with a 10x8

This kit bag weighs about 10kg and I have to confess it was not an easy short 1.5 km walk here having not carried this weight for about a month.

Nonetheless I’m here waiting for the train to arrive in about 15 mins.

I doubt I’ll manage more than this one shot today but slow but sure I’m getting back into the big boys game ..... it’ll get up a mountainside soon I hope [emoji13]

IMG_1703.JPG

Back