Sheep etc.

At last the sun shone. Not that it did me any good. I really struggled to make any decent pictures at the English Nursery Final yesterday.

If you want to get pictures of sheep dogs in action then you need the right gear, or a venue where you can get a close, uninterrupted view of some of the action. With that in mind I'm giving up on that side of things. And as there isn't much else to a sheep dog trial that I haven't photographed I think I might as well give up on them altogether!

h-44.jpg

h-22.jpg

Rubbish action shots - mostly large crops.

h-1.jpg

h-8.jpg

h-16.jpg

Off-field dogs are always entertaining.

_7516677.jpg

_7517300.jpg

The scores were posted sporadically.

h-26.jpg

Checking the final results before the big reveal.

h-40.jpg

The top ten individuals line up.

h-45.jpg

The winning team from East Anglia is photographed.

h-46.jpg

An enjoyable day out, but I could quite happily delete the few files I've not already dumped.

I stayed close to home this sunny weekend, but went in search of sheep. It definitely felt like spring with larks singing and lapwings displaying.

There's a handy parking spot by a small field where a couple of pet sheep live.

Three weeks ago this field was green. The beet tops have all been devoured. Now the roots are being nibbled and the ground trampled by pointy hooves.

_7517448.jpg

_7517461.jpg

_7517465.jpg

Elsewhere the lambs are out.

_7517431.jpg

On my way home along the road parallel with the marsh I stopped the car to allow a farmer to back his sheep trailer into a field entrance. His first attempt almost tipped the lot in a ditch.

_7517480.jpg

I had to miss the Pennine Interclub Championship yesterday but made it to the inaugural War of the Roses sheep dog trial today where the home team were victorious and claimed the individual title too. (y)

Craig had had a successful nursery season and had his trophies with him.

_7517547.jpg

I'm quite pleased with this shot - apart from my reflection. But trophies are tricky things to photograph.

_7517550.jpg

Those cups have a long history. These started theirs today.

_7517616.jpg

Some dogs pics.

_3007440.jpg

_7517635.jpg

_7517659.jpg

_7517595.jpg

More to follow when I've weeded out all the dross.

Finally sorted out the bulk of the rubbish. Even the better stuff is pretty poor. :(

Trying to give a sense of how far the dogs had to run.

roses-15.jpg

And the terrain they have to cross.

roses-13.jpg

Dog eyeing sheep.

roses-23.jpg

Sheep eyeing dog.

roses-30.jpg

Action.

roses-38.jpg

The shed.

roses-42.jpg

Inaction.

_7516810.jpg

Pointing out where mistakes took place.

roses-48.jpg

Watching the results being read out.

roses-53.jpg

Fairly unproductive in terms of picture making, but made reached some technical conclusions.

View attachment 346912
One of my favourite shot from where I live in Malvern - this is at British camp
I'll leave it up to Dave as to whether he is happy to have this in his "Personal Project" but just as a hint, @Foxphotos, if you see a thread with title like "Open Thread" or "Post your xxx photos here" then feel free to post your own photos, OTOH if you see something in the Personal Projects and Themes section then it is usually an individuals own thread for an on-going project and it would get a bit confused if it was interspersed with other people's work

Last edited:
I'll leave it up to Dave as to whether he is happy to have this in his "Personal Project" but just as a hint, @Foxphotos, if you see a thread with title like "Open Thread" or "Post your xxx photos here" then feel free to post your own photos, OTOH if you see something in the Personal Projects and Themes section then it is usually an individuals own thread for an on-going project and it would get a bit confused if it was interspersed with other people's work
I was going to let one go, but this is my project about sheep farming/breeding and the culture surrounding it, so I'd prefer not to have other people's random sheep snaps appearing in it. They belong in an open sheep thread in Captive, Domesticated and Plants IMO.

Sorry for any offence I may have caused with this post.

I was going to let one go, but this is my project about sheep farming/breeding and the culture surrounding it, so I'd prefer not to have other people's random sheep snaps appearing in it. They belong in an open sheep thread in Captive, Domesticated and Plants IMO.

Tidied that up for you Dave. (y)

@Foxphotos , @Boonie, Show us your sheeps in your own threads please.

Thanks.

Tidied that up for you Dave. (y)

@Foxphotos , @Boonie, Show us your sheeps in your own threads please.

Thanks.

no need to apologise - it's the thread crashers who need to do so.

:)

FWIW. I fully agree

Some good stuff there.
I particularly like the shots where the dog(s) are observing what is going on in the background or off camera.
The video exemplifies the stop/start, left/right of the dog. And then suddenly very very still. (y)
Ta. The dogs that aren't running are still very focussed. There seems to be nothing they want to do more than herd sheep!

Arr I’m so sorry guys. I’m really new to all this forum stuff. Please accept my apologies. Thank you for explaining.

Some evening local sheep snaps. Lambs are growing well. When I was a lad sheep were a rare sight round here. It's only in the last twenty (or less) years this particular farm (in the background of the first pic) has been a sheep farm, for example, and now they run sheep all over the area. The fields around the farm are permanently fenced with sheep netting, but very few mossland fields have fences or hedges, their borders being ditches for the most part. Electric fencing can be quickly erected anywhere there is suitable grazing, on anyone's land, so opening up extra grazing. If fertiliser prices remain as high as they are now this kind of rotational grazing could become even more common.

_7517868.jpg

_7517865.jpg

_7517859.jpg

_7517862.jpg

I only nipped out to post a letter but thought I'd take the lens for another test not expecting to see any sheep. I hadn't bothered throwing in a shorter lens. Which is probably why I stumbled upon some sheep work on the bank.... The long lens was fine for the sheep and lambs on the bank, but far too long for what was in the pens by the gate.

The ewes are ever watchful.

_3007905.jpg

This one didn't know where mum was, and I'm not sure it was the ewe behind it despite it following it around.

_3007908.jpg

Restful.

_3007912.jpg

_3007926.jpg

Active.

_3007914.jpg

Protective. I kept well away from this pair and turned back.

_3007921.jpg

This could have been good if I'd been more prepared.

_3007929.jpg

No escape!

_3007930.jpg

They don't come much frehser than this, and already up and sucking. This was as wide a shot as I could get as there was no room to move back.

_3007939.jpg

I keep trying to get more chances for this sort of subject matter but I don't seem to have whatever gift of the gab is required. I think I might go back to photographing lost balls. :LOL:

_3007924.jpg

I took my new lens to a sheep dog trial today, but took a break to go find some Lonks. It paid off. I'm getting closer to a shot I have in mind of a Lonk tup on a moor with a former mill town in the background. I spent some time stalking a ewe which did me proud by posing in the almost perfect spot. the village in the background is, I'm pretty sure, part of the one where the breed society has held it's autumn show for decades. For once I persisted and it paid off.

stalking.jpg

_7518674-2.jpg

_7518675-2.jpg

There might be some more photos later. If any of them are in focus...

Last edited:
Well... I'm not sure if the new lens was a good idea or not. I'm not a pixel peeper and I have found plenty of lenses which get written off on t'web to be perfectly serviceable. But this is proving to be no better than the lens I traded in for it which cost a fraction of the price! Having a longer maximum focal length it did get me pictures I wouldn't have got otherwise without a lot of cropping. Some of them were even in focus...

morning-5.jpg

morning-10.jpg

The running about photos are quite fun to take but I'm not sure they add much to the story. Although there have been a few action shots which have work better.

morning-37.jpg

The less frantic shots generally feel more like pictures.

morning-17.jpg

morning-35.jpg

morning-32.jpg

morning-20.jpg

I also went to the other extreme with my neglected ultrawide. It looks lovely and springlike. Felt more like midwinter in the wind!

morning-34.jpg

Almost 500 frames culled down to just over 100 worth keeping either as 'keepers' or reminders for what I might do better in future. Not a total waste of time I suppose.

Coming up next month is May Madness. There are, if I've got it right, fourteen trials being held over eleven consecutive days in the Pennine region, some days two trials running at different venues. I'll not be going to all of them, although I wouldn't be surprised if a few handlers do!

Last edited:
I took my new lens to a sheep dog trial today, but took a break to go find some Lonks. It paid off. I'm getting closer to a shot I have in mind of a Lonk tup on a moor with a former mill town in the background. I spent some time stalking a ewe which did me proud by posing in the almost perfect spot. the village in the background is, I'm pretty sure, part of the one where the breed society has held it's autumn show for decades. For once I persisted and it paid off.

View attachment 349633

View attachment 349636

View attachment 349635

There might be some more photos later. If any of them are in focus...
When I looked at the "contact sheet" before realising you had posted some selections, my pick was the one you had selected first above, really tells a story.

When I looked at the "contact sheet" before realising you had posted some selections, my pick was the one you had selected first above, really tells a story.
Thanks. I'm quite pleased with it (for now). I also see it as an antidote to the 'wild moorland', romanticised, sheep pictures associated with Herdwicks in Cumbria and Swaledales in the North Pennines. The Lancs/Yorks mid-Pennine region isn't generally associated with sheep farming, nor moorlands with close proximity to habitation and industry, but that is what it's like. Driving back I had a wide view over teh M65 corridor, which is heavily built up and industrialised, yet surrounded by moors with vistas to Pendle Hill, across the Ribble Valley to Longridge Fell and Bowland beyond. All of them sheep country, and much of it Lonk country too.

The Easter Monday Open trial is always a social occasion. This year it was a charity even raising money for one of the local society members who, at only 44, had a stroke a few weeks ago. The generosity on show with donations to the auction and proceeds from food and refreshment sales was outstanding. Ricky Hutchinson, one of the country's top handlers and breeders donated a pup. I think the auction was the main event of the day with the trial playing second fiddle. I spent more time photographing what was going on off the field than the dog action.

This was early on, by lunch time there were half as many vehicles again.

_7517216.jpg

There were vehicles there with French and Swiss plates.

a-30.jpg

Stuff for the auction. More came along later.

a-7.jpg

Hog roast, beef or venison butties, refreshments. All proceeds to Claire.

a-4.jpg

a-38.jpg

Cake stall.

a-15.jpg

Ricky's pup.

a-27.jpg

Sold!

a-44.jpg

Another pup under the hammer.

a-35.jpg

There was an Easter egg hunt for the little ones.

a-41.jpg

I'll put some of my more usual random stuff in a second post.

Last edited:
I'm a bit restricted at present, suffering with a sore foot which is preventing me walking any distance. So I had an evening drive. Passed some unexpected sheep grazing off the remains of a brassica crop. I thought I'd catch them on my way back. Naturally the sun did a disappearing act and the sheep were wandering away from the road when I returned!

I've a choice of events tomorrow, but I'm not sure my foot is up to it. Still, last week's stiff neck has cleared up. :LOL:

_7517500.jpg

Three-legged sheep? :D

_7517498.jpg

_7517506.jpg

I had a change today and decided against the sheep dog trial and the rare breed sale. o_O

The other event was closer than those, and looked easy to find on Google... After a five mile drive round all the lanes except the one the farm was on I got there just a few minutes late.

_7518865.jpg

Fear not. There will be (unexpected) sheep content later when I get through editing the mess of files down to manageable proportions.;)

The foot is now telling me I should have stayed home. :LOL:

The internet is great for doing research. Aside from learning about this sale I was able to download the catalogue and see there were quite a few sheep related items included. Lots of hurdles, including some wooden ones, a sheep race, feeders, weighing crates and such like. Which convinced me it was worth a look.

_7518937.jpg

_7518958.jpg

_7518968.jpg

The family were moving on after fifteen years at the end of their tenancy. Everything must go. Including gates still in use. The auctioneers had told them there's a buyer for everything, put nothing in the scrap until after the sale! Only the absolute rubbish, like bald tyres, failed to sell. Sometimes combining two lots shifted one that was sticking. Good auctioneers know all the tricks to get a sale.

The rack of metal in the barn below was a job lot. I went in for a nosey and found...

_7518988.jpg

Lots of rusticity...

_7519071.jpg

And a pen of sheep!

_7518990.jpg

One sheep was in 'the naughty pen'.

_7518995.jpg

A first time lamber, her lamb had died and she wasn't taking to the one that had been mothered on to her. So into the head yoke she went. The lamb was lying down at the back of the pen.

_7517554.jpg

As someone I met there who I know from the show scene said, most people were there to see what kind of junk other farmers have accumulated! The serious bidders had come well prepared though, with trailers big enough to hold a tractor.

I've got lots of pictures of the sale, the people, and the old buildings. But as they're not strictly sheep related please let me know if they belong in this thread. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
The internet is great for doing research. Aside from learning about this sale I was able to download the catalogue and see there were quite a few sheep related items included. Lots of hurdles, including some wooden ones, a sheep race, feeders, weighing crates and such like. Which convinced me it was worth a look.

View attachment 350969

View attachment 350968

View attachment 350967

The family were moving on after fifteen years at the end of their tenancy. Everything must go. Including gates still in use. The auctioneers had told them there's a buyer for everything, put nothing in the scrap until after the sale! Only the absolute rubbish, like bald tyres, failed to sell. Sometimes combining two lots shifted one that was sticking. Good auctioneers know all the tricks to get a sale.

The rack of metal in the barn below was a job lot. I went in for a nosey and found...

View attachment 350964

Lots of rusticity...

View attachment 350960

And a pen of sheep!

View attachment 350963

One sheep was in 'the naughty pen'.

View attachment 350962

A first time lamber, her lamb had died and she wasn't taking to the one that had been mothered on to her. So into the head yoke she went. The lamb was lying down at the back of the pen.

View attachment 350961

As someone I met there who I know from the show scene said, most people were there to see what kind of junk other farmers have accumulated! The serious bidders had come well prepared though, with trailers big enough to hold a tractor.

I've got lots of pictures of the sale, the people, and the old buildings. But as they're not strictly sheep related please let me know if they belong in this thread. Thanks for looking.

A good set IMO

Back