Nirvana

Hopefully, I'll keep the lights on
I'll be entertaining
I'll try not to be stupid
and definitely not contagious.

Onward to 2021 and for a starter:

Looe Cornwall at Night

Night by gorgon703, on Flickr

Squirrels are so photogenic. Nikon 80-400mm at 360mm F5.6 ISO 3200 Shutter 1/60 secs. Taken this afternoon before the rain came:

Squirrel by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Without looking closely at the background you wouldn't guess that was 3200 ISO, it's pretty clean.
Tufty is nicely separated from the background and it's a good capture of him in action (impressive to freeze him at 1/60th).

Cheeky bugger! Looks like he is smiling. Lots of detail in the shot too. As Tim said, that's a steady hand at 1/60 as well as some very good IS.

He let me get quite close fortunately. I have to admit, even I didn't know that Nikon VR was that good. I had to use a stupidly high ISO as the bird feeder is in the shadows and the day was overcast too, if you look to the bottom left quadrant you can see the effect of the higher ISO. I have taken pictures at much higher ISO's but unless the subject matter is very strong people only see the graininess. Given the chance, I'll always shoot at less than 800 and preferably 400. Cameras that boast ISO of 126000 et al, are behaving similarly to car manufacturers who claim ludicrous mileages for their electric cars but take no account of UK weather -- windscreen wipers, heater, headlights, rear screen heater, etc.

I have taken pictures at much higher ISO's but unless the subject matter is very strong people only see the graininess

I'd say the subject matter is quite strong here :)

Nice looking Squiggle :)

Cheeky little buggers aren't they?
Nice start Martin

Hi there Martin, good to see you!

I do like a good squirrel pic, even a grey one.

Thank you all. It's all going to go downhill from here :)

That is indeed a smug looking squirrel well captured.

It's fruit, probably with a very large carbon footprint. With frame-filling.

Fruit by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yep - ticks both boxes very nicely ;)

Looking at the Exif f/27. Blimey.
Was the flash full power (as you had ISO 1600).

Nicely fills the frame, colours look well rendered and no obvious noise despite 1600.
Not really anything that I can say about the composition, as cropping in closely like that (to fill the frame) doesn't really give you much compositional latitude.

I can't knock it. I'm hopeless at tabletop stuff .. but the light looks harsh to me.

Fruit
I like the randomness of it. Well controlled lighting.
Looking at the Exif f/27. Blimey.
Was the flash full power (as you had ISO 1600).

Nicely fills the frame, colours look well rendered and no obvious noise despite 1600.
Not really anything that I can say about the composition, as cropping in closely like that (to fill the frame) doesn't really give you much compositional latitude.
I can't knock it. I'm hopeless at tabletop stuff .. but the light looks harsh to me.

The f27 is courtesy of my Micro Nikkor 105mm so that I can get the DoF using the on-board flash as I couldn't find my Speedlight in good time.

They look yummy, lovely colour and definitely fills the frame

I like it, it looks really natural.
On first look I thought I'd have maybe replaced the strawberry with the large light area for more consistency across the frame, but then I got to thinking that's just how strawberries are.

The on board flash explains the little white highlights everywhere, but overall a nice image, fits the theme and technique.

Pete

Very nice Strawberry's lots of close up detail.

The lighting is a tad hard for me, but I like the colour, composition and filled frame. No doubting what the subject is :)

Idly thinking about the category 'dirty', I gazed inadvertently at my electric guitar and saw this, I shall be getting the cleaning cloths out tomorrow!

Dirty by ShinySU, on Flickr

Superb detail in the image, nicely presented in terms of the colours of the springs / exposure.
Was this taken with a Macro lens ?

Superb detail in the image, nicely presented in terms of the colours of the springs / exposure.
Was this taken with a Macro lens ?
Thanks for looking.

Yes, A Nikon 105mm Micro. TBH I haven't really used it very much so expect more during this challenge.

That's one mucky minging bridge!

All that dead skin ;)
You've captured some great detail there.
interesting optical illusion where the strings pass over the bottom mounting plate and appear to narrow (they obviously don't).

That's one mucky minging bridge!

Not any more, it's shiny now :)

All that dead skin ;)
You've captured some great detail there.
interesting optical illusion where the strings pass over the bottom mounting plate and appear to narrow (they obviously don't).

I wonder what the inside of my acoustic guitar looks like; better not go there.

I shall be getting the cleaning cloths out tomorrow!

This made me lol, because that's exactly what this photo made me want to do. Brasso as well! Nice filled frame (is this a tech shot?) where the subject becomes the dirt rather than a guitar.

I do like this .... guitars are interesting and photograph well. Macro lenses bring out some fascinating dirt detail.

Nice detailed image.. until you realise what most of the dirt actually is :)

Back