Shiny's 2022 Challenge 52

Technology - Never heard of pollarding before, you learn something new every day. The processing with the mono conversion and vignette improves it, looks like you can see faces around each of the cut sections.

Discarded - Sometimes I despair at elements of society that are happy for others to play their part with recycling but won't contribute themselves. Although I also wonder how much of the carefully segregated recyclable materials are actually re-used. Especially when it gets combined with others.

Flora - Not only do get to see great images but get educated too, having never heard of a Cornish hedge before. I wonder if the root structures between the dry stones actually make the bond stronger?

Unusual - It's certainly an interesting object. It's great to have something man made, especially when someone has spent time and energy creating it.

A statue of 'William' at Gunnislake in Cornwall. A representation of a Cornish miner, William was named after a man called Williams who employed so many men in the area that Gunnislake was often called Williamstown. I was in two minds as to whether or not to include the phone box but I think it adds colour and some extra interest. The phone box is now actually a free library full of books to take away.

Snappers2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
An slightly unusual format to get a line of trees in the shot. I feel it's a little over adjusted but it's all I had this week so as to keep up.

Trees by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Snapper's choice: interesting story Martin, and I think that you were right to include the phone box
Trees: It doesn't come across to me as over adjusted, I like the aspect that the scattering of the "works of man" in amongst the trees. Good capture.

Two good images.
Snappers choice.. the phone box adds to the composition for me too.
Love the varied selection of trees in your shot. Well spotted

I like the different layers of colour and subjects in your trees shot.

Snapper's choice: interesting story Martin, and I think that you were right to include the phone box
Trees: It doesn't come across to me as over adjusted, I like the aspect that the scattering of the "works of man" in amongst the trees. Good capture.

Thanks for looking. It's surprising what modern cameras pick up these days, the basic RAW image shows the hills in the background completely missing but a simple enhancement brought them to life.
Two good images.
Snappers choice.. the phone box adds to the composition for me too.
Love the varied selection of trees in your shot. Well spotted

Yes, a second look at the picture this morning tells me I made the right decision to include the phone box.
I like the different layers of colour and subjects in your trees shot.

I love Spring for showing up all these colours, once summer comes the leaves all start to take on a similar hue.

Both snappers choice and tree shots work well Martin. I love the line of trees, just a shame about all the telegraph poles (which you obviously can't do anything about), but I suppose they were trees once ;)

Spot the wren? Wrens usually make their nests in holes in earthen banks down here (we call them Cornish hedges), this one however decided to make a little 'hole' of her own which you can see more easily when she isn't there but which would make for a dull picture indeed. We think she has only just started moving in as other pictures I have of her show her returning with nesting material (see below). I suppose it's a bit of a shoehorn but it's Thursday tomorrow.

The tree she is in is only two feet high so she's quite low to the ground. Today I put some curled barbed wire around the base of the tree to stop next door's cat getting in there, it's a murderous b*****d that I'll strangle if it kills any more baby birds in my garden and I can get my hands round it's scrawny neck.

Hole by ShinySU, on Flickr

Hole2 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
I confess Martin that I wouldn't have spotted the wren without you pointing it out. Now that I've spotted her/him the shot makes me smile. Your second shot is a great one as well.

Same here - I wouldn't have spotted the wren either. Great capture on #2 but then the hole isn't obvious. Good luck on keeping the cat out...

A different take on the theme but a hole is a hole.
Good luck with that moggy.

Nice one. I saw the pic then thought "Hole? Hole? I see no.... Aha!!!

No1 for the theme but No2 is fabulous!!!!

I confess Martin that I wouldn't have spotted the wren without you pointing it out. Now that I've spotted her/him the shot makes me smile. Your second shot is a great one as well.

Same here - I wouldn't have spotted the wren either. Great capture on #2 but then the hole isn't obvious. Good luck on keeping the cat out...

A different take on the theme but a hole is a hole.
Good luck with that moggy.

Nice one. I saw the pic then thought "Hole? Hole? I see no.... Aha!!!

No1 for the theme but No2 is fabulous!!!!

Excellent :clap:

Thank you all. The camera (a Fuji X100V) was set to interval timer and I let it run at one picture every 10 seconds until the memory card filled up (512 images!!!) then went through them one by one to see if there was any activity. Out of all that I got seven pictures that had wren interest in them, these are two of them. Unfortunately, I have seen no activity today but I have a wildlife camera on the nest site to see if the cat came near (it didn't) and while there is no cat-activity, there is no wren activity either (although the wren might not trigger the WL camera). The situation is continuously monitored and I will update when I have anything.

How lovely. Well spotted and that second capture is amazing! We have a little tree just like this and a wren keeps visiting it. It never occurred to me there might be a nest there. She nested in our old tumbledown garage last year and I often see her hanging around the holes in the compost bin - I guess there must be lots of insects there.

Thanks for sharing how you did it.

I give you, A Tequila Sunrise cocktail: Tequila, orange juice and grenadine.

Sunrise by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Bugger!!! There goes my idea!!!

I can't find any Grenadine locally! Having a very sweet tooth, I do like a nice TS!!!

Fab take on the theme :)

I can't find any Grenadine locally! Having a very sweet tooth, I do like a nice TS!!!
Asda have it. I had some in my delivery today.

A good idea and well composed. I like the dreamy background.

Sunshine and some net curtains, and a very shallow depth of field. Thanks for looking.
That’s excellent Martin. Very well executed.

Thank you, I must confess to actually liking one of my own photographs and that's rare for me.

Your background has a real holiday/beach vibe to it. Looks great.

Back