Shiny's 2022 Challenge 52

Nice shot. That's a female blackbird :)

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that 1) the print colour is a bit overpowering and 2) that that's a funny looking Dunnock!

Other than that, I like the juxtaposition of man-made with nature.

Yea that red is bright!
Nice take on “bottle”.

You're right about the red.. it is rather overpowering and distracts from the bird (I won't name it :) ). Interesting composition though.

Oops, we do get dunnocks but my wife is the twitcher, I just guess. It did seem quite tiny though.

That’s different and I rather like it.
Sorry to be a smart-axxx but that’s a Blackbird.

I'm glad it's not just me that thinks that 1) the print colour is a bit overpowering and 2) that that's a funny looking Dunnock!

Other than that, I like the juxtaposition of man-made with nature.

Yea that red is bright!
Nice take on “bottle”.

Looks like the bird is on security patrol

You're right about the red.. it is rather overpowering and distracts from the bird (I won't name it :) ). Interesting composition though.

Yes, it is a female blackbird. As I said just above, I'm not the bird-watcher, my wife is, and she wasn't there at the time. I'll have to look into why that red comes across as somewhat iridescent, I did use On1 for the first time on it and may have done something untoward but I'm only just starting with ON1 so there is much to learn.

My guess is that it was shot on a Nikon - they can be a bit red happy.

Just looked through to Flickr and see that it was. Dialling the red back a bit in PP might reduce it but it might be a fluorescent colour and they can "blow" quite easily.

I really like this shot. So different and I like the colours. The bird adds to it.

I think it's a female blackbird. Dunnocks have grey on their head. I would so love to have nuthatches in my garden!

I really like this shot. So different and I like the colours. The bird adds to it.

I think it's a female blackbird. Dunnocks have grey on their head. I would so love to have nuthatches in my garden!
Yes, the nuthatches were out again today going back and forth from my bird feeders, I think we have a breeding pair nearby. And yes, despite me mislabelling the blackbird, they are definitely nuthatches :)

Yes, the nuthatches were out again today going back and forth from my bird feeders, I think we have a breeding pair nearby. And yes, despite me mislabelling the blackbird, they are definitely nuthatches :)
ha ha! Yes sorry, I didn't realise that others had already mentioned the blackbird. How lucky you are having a pair of nuthatches (I believe you :) )

Snappers Choice. I'm afraid there is nothing I have taken in the last two weeks that I want to choose as the weather has been so bad and I haven't got out much. so I'm playing a joker and showing this picture from a few years ago when I went to the Loire Valley. This was taken at sunset while avoiding the millions of mosquitos that lived by the river.

Snappers1 by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's a lovely shot Martin.
Sky and reflections are lovely.
One minor observation is that I think the horizon is just a tiny bit out with a left to right angle when judged by the water horizon.

One minor observation is that I think the horizon is just a tiny bit out with a left to right angle when judged by the water horizon.

Oh yes, so it is. I'll not repost it but I will bear that in mind for future images. Cheers.

It's a really nice shot Martin. Makes want to go visit the local lakes.

Great Colour Martin.
Haven't seen such a colourful sunset in years, well not stuck to our local area, But did see plenty down in Somerset pre Covid
Pete

Alley. Here I tried to make a rather dull alley a little more interesting by including the dappled greenery on the right.

Alley 1 by ShinySU, on Flickr

This is a good entry Martin, I've been trying to figure out what the "wavey" things are just to the right of the blue pipe?

This is a good entry Martin, I've been trying to figure out what the "wavey" things are just to the right of the blue pipe?

I think it may be a piece of corrugated asbestos seen end-on.

That’s a pretty decent alley to be fair. I like the pedestrians only sign!!!

Heavy. Bit of a shoehorn this and is artistically irrelevant but it is with 'heavy' heart that I ended up removing this nest that a pair of robins had built in a cardboard box in my shed. So much work for them but all for nothing in the end. They were using a permanently open window (just slightly ajar) and flying in and out bringing leaves, moss, and in the end, some of my dog's fur that we put out for them. As you can see, she had laid eggs, There were three of them originally but I broke one trying to check what their status was as we hadn't seen the robins flying in for a few days. All the eggs were stone cold and the birds had evidently given up. We think it was caused by Storm Eunice as the wind was blowing from the West and right into the nest and despite me putting up a board during the storm to keep the wind off I think it was all too late as they had probably already gone. They were there the night before the storm (I have a wildlife camera for videos) but we haven't seen them since. I removed the nest as they won't come back to it now and TBH they were kind of in the way but it wouldn't have been for long so we did our best for them. Hey ho, life goes on I suppose and they will nest where they want until they decide they don't want any more.

Heavy by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Aww... I think a heavy heart fits the theme, especially with a very sad back story. At least you can say you did your best for them. I can almost hear Simon Bates "Our Tune" in the background :(

Aww... I think a heavy heart fits the theme, especially with a very sad back story. At least you can say you did your best for them. I can almost hear Simon Bates "Our Tune" in the background :(

I like to have a story behind my pictures if I can; of course if I was a really good photographer I perhaps wouldn't need the narrative? ;)

LIGHT + ICM Some LED lights over my bureau.

Light by ShinySU, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good background on the eggs, I was wondering where the theme came into it

DAMP

Nothing to add to this one. It's not up to much but don't want to get behind.

Damp by ShinySU, on Flickr

Actually I think your damp shot is probably one of the most on theme I have seen. I rather like the abstract patterns around the base of the glass too.

Ah, again you have captured reflections. Fabulous close up. Almost looks like a human eye with the white. A very hairy human :ROFLMAO:

Actually I think your damp shot is probably one of the most on theme I have seen. I rather like the abstract patterns around the base of the glass too.

Ah, again you have captured reflections. Fabulous close up. Almost looks like a human eye with the white. A very hairy human :ROFLMAO:
Thanks Bebop, I tried not to confuse 'damp' with 'wet'. Of course the only time I wanted to spill wine, I didn't, so had to do it deliberately -- but only a tiny bit.

Juno, my husky/collie cross gets in on the act yet again
Lovely shot
Thanks Simon, she is very difficult to get to stand still.

Your damp image fits the bill but I love your window image (fits the theme and the technique).

Your damp image fits the bill but I love your window image (fits the theme and the technique).

That was lucky. I didn't even see that the technique was reflections until you mentioned it. :)

Back