Shooting at a Car Show

Edit My Images
No
Hello, all. I'm heading to a car show this weekend and planning to bring the camera.

Any tips for shooting pics of vintage autos?

thank you

1) People are going to end up in your shots.

Accept that and make use of them in your compositions

Bays at the Park by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Inspecting by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Black Bug Conversation by Rob Telford, on Flickr

You will spend a lot less time getting bored waiting around for a clear shot without people and simultaneously capture a more complete view of the show

2) look for details

Rainy by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Safety by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Little Devil by Rob Telford, on Flickr

3) if you can find a different viewpoint, use it

Boogie Bus by Rob Telford, on Flickr

Last edited:
If when people are getting in the way of the whole car, shoot details of the engines, badges, lights etc..
Remember that everyone there has paid to get in, the same as you, so has every right to be where they are, even if it is a royal PITA! Be patient.
Try to avoid your own shadow and/or reflection in the shiny bits.

Turn up as soon as the gates open, hopefully less people. Any specific cars you like(check on the website), get there as soon as possible. Take an ultra wide as well, as you can get a bit closer, shoot wider and crop in later.

As Clint says - take the widest lens you've got...

Jaguar E-Type P1310874.JPG

And keep an eye out for unexpected accessories and other details on the cars!

Cat on car bonnet Olympus OM1 1993 07-04.jpg

I agree though it is difficult to get shots without people in them...
I just do my best to make them part of the image.

"What can't be cured" ...should be used!

AC Cobra GH2 P1310872.JPG

As well as car shots, get some detail shots, badges, lights, I like the reflections on the chrome headlights.

Thanks for the tips!

The event is more of a meet than a show; it goes off every Saturday morning. Cars and people start arriving before dawn at a local carpark. It starts thinning out at 7:30 AM. When the stores open at 9:00, it's pretty much over.

opener.jpgdetail.jpgred 3.jpg

Hi, one way to avoid spectators is taking pics of the cars on access routes :

L1030316_DxO-z50s-28c.jpg

L1030315_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

At rest, with spectators ... :

L1030353_DxO-z50s-28-c.jpg

Equipment: 50mm if there is enough room, when I know the location, 35mm otherwise.

24mm or 35mm has always been a winner for me too, and as above, you just can't help other people being in the way if its busy but make the most of the interesting interior/engine/wheel/detail shots where you can rather than pic after pic of every car taken 3/4 on.

Hi, car shows (visitors pay an entrance fee) have organizers and one can talk to them, explaining one wants take car pics without visitors. You may get a press badge for early access.

I have done this in Schwetzingen for several years. The organizers get a card with pics, and I get memorabilia. I do not do it for money, because I would have to declare it in my income tax.

And all this bookkeeping and documenting is too much trouble for me. The organizers expect documentary pics, nothing creative.

My press badge :

L1032325_DxO-z35d-c.jpg

Schwetzingen Classic Gala 2022 :

L1009529_DxO-v50.jpg

L1009530_DxO-v50c.jpg

L1009538_DxO-v50c.jpg

L1009561_DxO-v50.jpg

L1009560_DxO-v50.jpg

Back