Shooting exclusively film

MindofMel

Suspended / Banned
Name
Mel
Edit My Images
Yes
How many of you shoot exclusively film and not digital? and if so, 35mm / MF?

Any drawbacks?

Maybe I'm just going through a phase, but the other day the thought of selling all my digital equipment and seriously investing in film popped in my head; and I began to drool at the stuff I would be able to afford etc.

I don't exclusively shoot film... i mean, i need something to take snaps of my film gear with ;)

I guess I shoot just film, I have a 40D but its just used to take photos of my film gear (sadly I am not kidding) I mainly use 120 and 5x4, 35mm isn't worth it in my opinion, as you may as well just use digital.

I find I shoot less but get much better photos from it.

TheBigYin said:
cue Danny

You called :D

Yep, thats exactly what happened to me. Bought an RZ67 and one lens, sold all my Nikon gear, pro lenses, speedlights the lot within weeks lol.

Now shoot solely film, I have an RZ67 and an ME Super, develop at home, scan on a V500, job done.

Photographically...best move I ever made.

I use 90% film. Digital for non-photography snaps & metering only. Mainly 35mm at the moment since I have a large amount of cameras! Changes a lot though. For MF I use a Mamiya C33 & Pentax 67.

Liam said:
I guess I shoot just film, I have a 40D but its just used to take photos of my film gear (sadly I am not kidding) I mainly use 120 and 5x4, 35mm isn't worth it in my opinion, as you may as well just use digital.

The thing is, I just can;t see myself moving around the streets of london with a MF camera, they all look so bulky + indiscreet - hence my draw to 35mm. Also, I have recently been shooting 35mm and digital - and there is defo a difference, even from a perspective of just the shooting experience!

Mahoneyd187 said:
Yep, thats exactly what happened to me. Bought an RZ67 and one lens, sold all my Nikon gear, pro lenses, speedlights the lot within weeks lol.

Now shoot solely film, I have an RZ67 and an ME Super, develop at home, scan on a V500, job done.

Photographically...best move I ever made.

Just got hold of a V500 for what appeared a very reasonable price off the forum, so should be scanning in negs. Thanks to all you guys help, should soon be developing aswell.

Maybe MF is a natural progression from 35mm and I'm just not at the stage yet.

The thing is, I just can;t see myself moving around the streets of london with a MF camera, they all look so bulky + indiscreet - hence my draw to 35mm. Also, I have recently been shooting 35mm and digital - and there is defo a difference, even from a perspective of just the shooting experience!

Can't speak from experience here, unfortunately. But the impression i get is that when you're just looking at pictures of MF cameras on their own they do look huge. Because you've got nothing to compare them to, no point of perspective. It seems that when you have one in your hands it's so much smaller than what you were expecting based on the pictures that you don't notice how larger it actually is.

Feel free to ignore this ;)

Just remember that if you don't do this professionally it's always going to be about the whole 'package', from taking, to developing and the final image. If you age using a system that puts a smile on your face then it's worth it, whatever system you use. It could be 35mm of ULF but shoot what makes you happy! ;)

Superewza said:
Can't speak from experience here, unfortunately. But the impression i get is that when you're just looking at pictures of MF cameras on their own they do look huge. Because you've got nothing to compare them to, no point of perspective. It seems that when you have one in your hands it's so much smaller than what you were expecting based on the pictures that you don't notice how larger it actually is.

Feel free to ignore this ;)

You didn't see nick with his RB67 at the London film meet then, it was flipping massive.

That reminds me, must be time for another film meet/jolly!

I'm one of those who shoot exclusively with film, and 35mm black & white film at that. I do print in the darkroom when time allows, but I recently bought a scanner (after many months trying to make my mind up) and have begun scanning much of my back catalogue of negs dating back several years.

Dunno, size difference looks like its pretty tangible lol

2805314696_d6c1ece377_z.jpg

I only shoot film.
No real draw backs for me. I have a local lab that dev's my negs, I got pretty friendly with them over the patsy few years the they do it straight away for me and no extra charge.

I guess one draw back is money for film and developing. 2011 saw
Me develop around 60 rolls of film!

The thing is, I just can;t see myself moving around the streets of london with a MF camera, they all look so bulky + indiscreet - hence my draw to 35mm.

I get away with a TLR just fine :shrug: and it looks so different to any other camera that for the people that do notice it, they don't shy away like they would with a normal big (D)SLR.

I have a place for film and digital in photography :)

I shoot film.. Sold off my D700 and 35/50/85mm lenses and now I just use a Leica M6. I had both for a little while but for me shooting film is just more fun and more personal. Plus no-one takes you seriously, which is kind of good. I keep thinking of getting a X10 or X100 just so I have something digital, but I'd rather focus on film for now.

I've just developed my first roll of film and I've got a V600 due for delivery tomorrow, too; it's all good fun.

And no you don't need a Leica lol.

35mm for photography, LX5 for ebay and facebook.

35mm on Ektar, Portra, 160s will give you very high quality modern looking stuff, Ektar can go a bit retro looking depending on the light mind (and is incredibly unforgiving stuff)

B&W films you will need to embrace the grain or go MF.

I started off with film, did some digital as I had to for work, now shoot film all the time. I'm shortly going back to work as a full time tog and unfortunately, the nature of the work means I will be forced to use digital due to turnaround times.

Meh.

Horses for courses. When I have a choice I love using my film bodies. But sometimes (airshows, some macro subjects, some low light/high iso stuff) digital is more appropriate. Though I have to admit that even "just" 35mm has ruined my DSLR viewfinder for me, and the k7 is pretty decent in that respect for a crop camera.

I've never found a reason to go digital, although a digital camera can be useful for some shots, e.g. a shot of a flying insect etc and experimental work. But I was given a Sony P92 and as mentioned it's handy when posting shots of a camera or lens.

Well London is quite far away... regardless, there is an obvious solution to that problem. It's called a 'blad ;)

Still big. I know some here think 35mm is pointless but I can still fit my M6 with lens into my work bag and a 'blad certainly wouldn't squeeze in there! ;)

35mm is not pointless at all. Neither for that matter is digital. I shoot film, I shoot digital, I shoot 35mm and I shoot medium format (up to 6x7 using an RB67). I use b&w film, I use colour film, I shoot slides. They all have their uses.

I do have the greatest admiration for those people who can choose a single setup, stick to it and do it well. I am not one of those people and you don't have to be if you don't want to be.

35mm is not pointless at all. Neither for that matter is digital. I shoot film, I shoot digital, I shoot 35mm and I shoot medium format (up to 6x7 using an RB67). I use b&w film, I use colour film, I shoot slides. They all have their uses.

I do have the greatest admiration for those people who can choose a single setup, stick to it and do it well. I am not one of those people and you don't have to be if you don't want to be.

I also use a number of setups, purely for different reasons. I have digital for when I am feeling lazy or out shooting wildlife (I wouldn't fancy using my M6 for birds!) and film for when I want it. For film I have the M6, a trip (a truely fantastic camera that is portable with wonderful image quality) and also a Lubitel 2 for a bit of fun. I could't imagine shooting only film as I wouldn't see the pictures until 6 months later! I don't have the time to process film frequently unfortunately. :(

I sold all my digital gear to fund another habit, that leaves me with a Bronica SQ or the camera on my phone. Guess which gets more action.

Kev M said:
I sold all my digital gear to fund another habit, that leaves me with a Bronica SQ or the camera on my phone. Guess which gets more action.

Phone? Lol

99% of what I shoot is now film. The digital just gets left behind, maybe its time to sell.

Mart

I shoot mainly film, digital I only use for urbex and taking pictures of my cameras!

I keep on trying to build up the courage to go solely film, but when it comes down to it I always chicken out. I take both out, but always enjoy the film shots more (except when the wind is as crazy as it is as the moment with the LF bellows and darkcloth flapping around)

I think my miserly tendencies will win out in the end though, 2 5dmkIIs and lenses is too much money to have stashed away if it's not getting used

That reminds me, must be time for another film meet/jolly!

I reckon you're right, it's got to be time for another (which I could hopefully come to this time)

I also use a number of setups, purely for different reasons. I have digital for when I am feeling lazy or out shooting wildlife (I wouldn't fancy using my M6 for birds!) and film for when I want it. For film I have the M6, a trip (a truely fantastic camera that is portable with wonderful image quality) and also a Lubitel 2 for a bit of fun. I could't imagine shooting only film as I wouldn't see the pictures until 6 months later! I don't have the time to process film frequently unfortunately. :(

I'm with Jim on this one, digital for wildlife and film for most other things.

And yes, another film meet would be an excellent idea. (y)

Andy

For me it goes like this:

Digital for 90% of thing, I have only just got my D7000 and it is a beast.

Film is for the fun stuff/a tool to make me consider my photography in a different light and shoot less on digital. I shoot rapid fire on digital.

I cannot see myself moving to film only as I like the convenience of digital, but nothing beats waiting for a film to come back from developing.

Awh, I love seeing that this many people are still passionate about shooting film exclusively.
I did a college course that taught us using black & white film in a darkroom & I have to say,
there is no comparison when it comes to learning the theory of photography. These days I
probably shoot more digital than film but thats only because developing black & white film
without the regular access to a darkroom is expensive!

I've recently bought some more Ilford film & hopefully I'll start shooting in more film
this Spring. I'm working with my little manual Phenix DC303K & various lenses. I work
with 35mm only atm, altho I'd love to work with MF eventually.

DSC00356.jpg

Nothing can compare to that feeling of really creating a photograph from scratch.
From Exposure → Shooting → Preparing → Developing → Printing.
I honestly hope that film photography doesn't dwindle out to be replaced with digital.

Last edited:
I honestly hope that film photography doesn't dwindle out to be replaced with digital.

Not if all of the people in this sub-forum have anything to say about it :p

These days I
probably shoot more digital than film but thats only because developing black & white film
without the regular access to a darkroom is expensive!

I use a changing bag and a sink - that's really all you need for developing.

(y) I can use my uni darkroom but it's a fair walk from my house, i do use it for printing though :)

Yeah I'm looking into setting up my own mini darkroom here at home. Just need
to read a little more about it. We used to do that in high school as the darkroom
there was so limited.

I can use my uni darkroom but it's a fair walk from my house, i do use it for printing though :)

I'm jealous! I used to use my college darkroom all the time, it was two trains away
but it being a full-time course I'd be there almost every day & just stay in there printing
after my workshops. I'm still considering whether uni is for me but if I were to choose
a course, without a doubt it'd be a very film based course. I'm desperate to learn MF!

I'm desperate to learn MF!

There really isnt much difference between medium format and 35mm, just a lot more negative to play with :D I bought a medium format body in May after having only shot film seriously for a couple of months and i havent regretted it. The big jump is that most of them are fully manual and are a bit less portable (mine weighs about 3kg and you cant really hand-hold it)

Best thing to do is just go for it, pick a negative size 6x4.5 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and see what you can like. 6x4.5 is pretty portable as is 6x6, after that however...

There really isnt much difference between medium format and 35mm, just a lot more negative to play with. I bought a medium format body in May after having only shot film seriously for a couple of months and I havent regretted it. The big jump is that most of them are fully manual.

I've seen the difference in quality in the prints & it's just one of those things I've always
wanted to get involved with, in either black & white or colour. I prefer working with fully
manual exposures, my film SLR doesn't even have a light metre which my college lecturers
were constantly complaining about, hahaha. Thanks for the sizing advice!

I've seen the difference in quality in the prints & it's just one of those things I've always
wanted to get involved with, in either black & white or colour. I prefer working with fully
manual exposures, my film SLR doesn't even have a light metre which my college lecturers
were constantly complaining about, hahaha. Thanks for the sizing advice!

If you have any other questions, feel free to drop me a PM about it :)

Back