Tutorial Shooting your first Wedding ???

Edit My Images
Yes
DiddyDave submitted a new resource:

Shooting your first Wedding ??? - Shooting your first Wedding ???

This is in no way a comprehensive ‘To Do’, nor is it a ‘How to be a top Pro’ – it’s just a few personal observations and hints on how to tackle that first Wedding

Whether you’ve been asked as a ‘mate with a camera’ or are looking to go ‘Pro’, here’s a few pointers to help you to NOT fall foul of the experience as, after all, the couple are aiming for a fun day and so should you be – that you have to record it for them shouldn’t stop you enjoying yourself too – if...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
I was planning on writing my experiences from my first as a second... shortly before the wedding forums were killed off. It seems a bit late now, but I guess this thread might be a good place to put a few of my thoughts, and I would strongly recommend shooting with a pro if you get the opportunity. I learnt so much from just the one outing! Things that have stuck in my mind are how a lot of the shots that used to make me go 'wow' are actually staged. It seems obvious now, but I never even considered it before seeing a pro actually going about the job. The second point that really struck me is BE ORGANISED! I was crapping myself, even as a second, but found the whole thing incredibly easy and enjoyable. And I think one of the main reasons was that we were organised. There was a shot list, we knew exactly what shots were going to be shot when, we ticked them off when a spare minute came about, and because we could clearly see what had been missed we could make plans on when we would try to get those shots.

Anyways, that's just my thoughts from a noob who thinks he might have been bitten! I've got my second lined up on 18/9 and third on 3/10!

Next up... going solo! :fart: :fart:

I take it we're allowed to talk about weddings again now are we? I did my first wedding about 10 days ago and surprisingly quite enjoyed it. I was under no illusions as to how hard it would be and I certainly found out it was as hard as I expected. Hopefully I've learnt a lot from it and will do it better next time. Thanks for writing the 'how to' guide Dave, it certainly has some good tips in there.

What an excellent post DD, informal not patronising and to the point, i've only done one wedding as a favor for a friend, while it was a bit daunting i thoroughly enjoyed it, would i do it again ? yes i think so as i made some mistakes (nothing major)so would like to give it another go to see the improvement, the only thing i could add to this, is where you said do the first one for free, i would say do the first half dozen for free till you build up a really good confidence, unless of course you take to it like a duck to water and are exceptionally good on your first few times, again thanks for posting, i think your post should be made a sticky (y)(y)(y)

What an excellent post DD, informal not patronising and to the point, i've only done one wedding as a favor for a friend, while it was a bit daunting i thoroughly enjoyed it, would i do it again ? yes i think so as i made some mistakes (nothing major)so would like to give it another go to see the improvement, the only thing i could add to this, is where you said do the first one for free, i would say do the first half dozen for free till you build up a really good confidence, unless of course you take to it like a duck to water and are exceptionally good on your first few times, again thanks for posting, i think your post should be made a sticky (y)(y)(y)

OMG - my first nomination for a 'Sticky' :)

Isn't this a little like the BAFTAs of Forum Society :thinking: :D

Without wishing to be seen to be voting for myself here (though a 'Sticky' on the mantelpiece and c.v. would look good), a thread of experiences and tips for newbies to Weddings is a must considering how often it crops up on TP - and may help stop some of the arguing???

I'm sure the Mods could keep it clean with Bans aplenty (there's a Wedding pun there!)

DD

Hi Dave

I wish this post had been around 12 months ago before i was pressganged into my sisters wedding.

I can see how valuable this thread will be for a lot of people. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and advice

Andy

Nice one Dave, my friends have asked me to be an informal photographer at their wedding next year, i nearly papped myself at the idea but after reading this thread i feel a bit more confident that with the right prep i can do a good job. They have stressed the informality of my role and the occasion and that's reflected in the wear what you like policy(if you don't like suits) the reception is in a barn and we're all camping after rather than posh hotels. It will be a total one off but it will be my contribution to their day. thanks again for taking the time to post this.

All great advice DD but I'm just going to highlight one paragraph as there are three things that struck me in the one:

"On the day – shoot in stages and change your cards at every stage (i.e. preparation, ceremony, afternoon, evening). Store those cards on your person safely – so if your gear is nicked the Wedding images are safe. Have a good breakfast, and know where you can get fluid/food throughout the day. You will be offered booze all day long, but don’t accept"

After one ceremony I shot I didn't check the amount of photos I had left on my card. Got to the confetti, everyone threw...snap...then nothing - card full. Thankfully that one came out brilliantly and I changed in time to get a couple of close ups with some extras but my god did I brick it when that happened. I'll never do that again.

I never let finished cards leave me and I double check every so often that I have all the shot cards with me. I have them numbered so I start on 1 & 2 (I carry 2 cameras a lot of the time) and know by the numbers which ones I've used and which to use next.

Water - Weddings for some reason really dehydrate me. I keep 6 bottles of water in the car and always have two on me during the group/portrait shots. 1 for me and 1 for the bride and groom. They get hot and thirsty too during the summer and a small gesture like that is really appreciated.

A dear friend is getting married soon and has asked me to do the photos as they can`t afford a pro, they know I don`t usually photograph people, my preference is pics of dogs and horses mainly, I`ve covered the `please don`t hate me if I screw it up` angle with them :LOL: and am relieved to find I have been asking the right sort of questions for what they would like / venue details / doing practice shots in advance etc, and this thread has now given me lots of help which makes me feel less terrified at the prospect, printing it out so I can check things off as and when covered, thank you DiddyDave :clap:

I'm glad someone's found this of use :)

Neil - I get almost paranoid about my cf cards during the day and I keep them on me - always - in a shock-proof, waterproof container. I used to have them numbered but a pal pointed out that meant card 4 (which is rarely used) is fresh and card 1 could be on its way out from overuse! So now I rotate them, and at the end of the year throw them away and buy a new set. In my container I simply turn over the used ones so I know which is which

Just remember that Weddings are just one big long shoot and you'll be fine - breaking it down into what to shoot & how to shoot it as a series of mini-shoots throughout the day makes it all more manageable :)

DD

Hey Dave,

Thanks for writing this up. I’ve been persuaded into shooting a wedding this Thursday (freebie) and I’m really starting to get nervous now. More so that I’ve asked for timings and information but have had nothing other than what time the wedding starts and the location.

I’m going to write up a contract to cover myself if I cock it all up.

Fingers crossed it will go alright as I’ve covered a few events (not weddings) before with no info to start with and they went really really well.

I’ll be sure to post some shots up from the day.

I’m also covering a football tournament at the weekend with 140+ teams and I’m more relaxed about that than I am about this wedding with 25 people lol.

Wish me luck.

Add.
Never ever ever delete images off the memory card with the camera

and...
When editing is complete, back up the finished files and for example the lightroom catalog / sidecar files etc. etc.

Also
Lean how to pose a bride and groom fast, and then how to quicky get a wide variation of shots without moving the couple about a lot

Also
Plan and prepare the set pieces, the ring shot, cutting the cake etc (couples are often very awkward with the pose)

Hey Dave,

Thanks for writing this up. I’ve been persuaded into shooting a wedding this Thursday (freebie) and I’m really starting to get nervous now. More so that I’ve asked for timings and information but have had nothing other than what time the wedding starts and the location.

I’m going to write up a contract to cover myself if I cock it all up.

Fingers crossed it will go alright as I’ve covered a few events (not weddings) before with no info to start with and they went really really well.

I’ll be sure to post some shots up from the day.

I’m also covering a football tournament at the weekend with 140+ teams and I’m more relaxed about that than I am about this wedding with 25 people lol.

Wish me luck.

Good luck (y)

Add.
Never ever ever delete images off the memory card with the camera

and...
When editing is complete, back up the finished files and for example the lightroom catalog / sidecar files etc. etc.

Also
Lean how to pose a bride and groom fast, and then how to quicky get a wide variation of shots without moving the couple about a lot

Also
Plan and prepare the set pieces, the ring shot, cutting the cake etc (couples are often very awkward with the pose)

Nice add :)

DD

Just reporting back, my friends wedding went smoothly, the advice on here was invaluable to me as it meant I had a proper plan, back up kit, but above all more confidence about it, because of all the tips, than I could ever have mustered if I`d gone into it blind as it were, so huge thanks again for this thread
(y):):):)

Great read, i cannot believe that i have missed it till now.

I have my first one next week..!
Dave can you put me on the waiting list to be your bag carrier and shoe polisher please....

New to this forum but been around lots of other ones and this is one of the best I have read. I like the way you have set it out very easy to follow and for un newer members that is a big plus,its a pity we cant give REP here.

New to this forum but been around lots of other ones and this is one of the best I have read. I like the way you have set it out very easy to follow and for us newer members that is a big plus,its a pity we cant give REP here.

I've not been on here long (dont think io was around last year when the thread was created).....just had a read, and a superb thread!

Very informative....and i'm sure will come in handy at some point.....

I plan to go solo at some point, but i want to second tog as much as possible first.

Thanks for the info Dave! :D

I read this back in April before my first wedding, very very useful and informative.

When is part 2 coming out for the 5+ weddings?? :D

Well Ive done 2 now with 2 more booked. Still early steps, but even on my second wedding I was getting a little more creative, little more inventive, and a little more daring.

I await part two ........ :D

AHA found it ... *ticks boxes of what is done so far right*... *makes notes* .....*feeels more nervous*

cheers great guide seems self explanatory and common sense ... just settle the nerves and all will be ok ... now more detail on settings etc would be better I know about ISO Arpeture etc guess the visit will settle those nerves as can see what I have to work with and have already agreed free reign on wandering on the day for certain shots

AHA found it ... *ticks boxes of what is done so far right*... *makes notes* .....*feeels more nervous*

cheers great guide seems self explanatory and common sense ... just settle the nerves and all will be ok ... now more detail on settings etc would be better I know about ISO Arpeture etc guess the visit will settle those nerves as can see what I have to work with and have already agreed free reign on wandering on the day for certain shots

Good luck then (y)

One last comment... a noisey (high ISO) pic is much more acceptable than a blurred (camera shake/subject movement one), so make sure you have a high enough shutter speed to keep things still even if that does lead to very high ISO

Oh - and if it's really dark and you're still struggling at high ISO to get a good shutter speed, shoot w i d e (as in wide-angled lenses which hide camera-shake/subject blur more) to capture the ambience (at least that's what you can tell them later if asked ;))

DD

I read this back in April before my first wedding, very very useful and informative.

When is part 2 coming out for the 5+ weddings?? :D

That will be the one that deals with self doubt, contractual nightmares, kit upgrades, training courses and album design ;)

Then there is the one at 10+ weddings that deals with developing your style, identifying USPs, pricing and where do I get the insanity certificate?

Followed by marketing to get the right clients, customer service, product development and just lock me up and throw away the key. :LOL:

That is some great advice there. I hope to make use of it some day. Thanks for posting! (y)

That is some great advice there. I hope to make use of it some day. Thanks for posting! (y)

Good luck for when you do (y)

glad i found this before saturdays dip into wedding photography!!

:eek: A bit late to find something useful - but better late than never :)

If you (others following this thread) have a query or two before your big day let me know via pm first and perhaps we can sort a telecon for a helpful (hopefully :D) chat beforehand

DD

I'm doing my wife's cousins Wedding on the 18th December in a registry office. It has lovely gardens but I'm a bit concerned on what to do if the weather is bad. I still need to go and chat to the people at the registry office but from attending a wedding there in the past it can be a bit of a conveyor belt type one place with one wedding finishing and the next one almost immediatly after so no real chance for photos inside.

What makes it worse is the reception venue is a real dive!!

So apart from dragging people outside in bad weather I can only see one place to take the photos and thats in the reception venue.

Has anyone had this situation before? How did you get round it?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Simon

Reg Offices are always 30 min max turnaround so you can usually use the venue inside for about 15 mins while the next one is getting married!!! Ours in Barnsley is fantastic and huge so any crappy weather and its still ok for some quick groups and a few couple shots too :)

The reception venue should be at least big enough for groups shots if there's a dance floor - this is just in case of total rain as somewhere to at least record something

As for the couple though, that's more about if they will venture out with brollies or not - if not, then so long as they accept they won't be getting any super pics you can only make the best of a bad job. But look for any part of the venue that is either attractive or not too unattractive and shoot wide open & long if you can; or set up a few OCF spots to add drama. Spxxxx once shot a couple in the bog !!!

Seek inspiration and you'll find something :)

Good luck

DD

I'll echo what David said. I understand that when you get a cracking venue it makes life soooooo much easier but it IS possible to come up with the goods just about anywhere :)

I once read a mag article where they put Jerry Ghionis in a really naff room with a bride to see what he could make of it. Now this room had a single bed with awful linen, the carpet was brown and flowery, the curtains were awful and the furniture was old wooden stuff. How the heck was he going to get anything decent here? Well, first off he placed the bride in front of the window, pulled the curtains right back and spot metered for the dress blowing the background completely. Then he took a bedside lamp, popped it on a table which had a sheet of glass on it, got the bride to kneel down and place her face resting on the table and shot the reflection by lamplight. It was stunning!

I stopped worrying about venues then and vowed to learn as many of these techniques as I could so I would never be in a tight spot.

I did a little wedding at Stockport Town Hall last week as a favour for a mate and the registry office is just as you describe and yes it poses challenges. The interior of mine is not helped at all by the decor! Green and pink is an absolute nightmare! No, I am NOT kidding.

I found a patch of bare wall (Not covered in blasted notices or signs!) just inside the front door. Popped my bride against the wall, looking out through the doors and you get a nicely lit bridal portrait lit by natural light that will make a cracking B&W (thanks to the pink wall!)

Basically look out for any natural light coming in through doors and windows and set your B&G in that patch where you can. It's a really quick way of working too as you can go through about 3 or 4 poses in 5 mins. It's all about the emotion and the contact between them so get them to say something quite significant to each other and just capture the reactions.

Last edited:
Thanks for these replies. They are really helpful. I guess the thing i'm more worried about are the group shots where I have to open up the lens.

Cheers Diddy!!! Appreciate that! It actually turn out really well!!! and i loved it!

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=268120

from my limited experience:
take lots....multiple shots for groups to avoid closed eyes...if in doubt use a flash to make sure you get the shot....take your time and make them wait if your not happy....you only get one go!

Last edited:
Back