Shoulder bag Advice sought

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
For years I have used a Nova 180AW shoulder bag.

Having tried many backpacks and similar I have decided that only shoulder bags will be used in the future by myself.

I am seeking a bag of similar quality to the Nova in dimensions but is slightly longer as I find my 5d4, with 100-400 lens will not fit in the current bag.

I keep looking but so far have been unsuccesful, can anyone point me in the direction of a should bag, preferably with a carrying handle which would be suitable as a replacement

thanks

I noticed a couple of Lowepro Stealth Reporters in the classifieds. Whilst they are an older bag, I'm delighted with my 650. After discovering too many bags in the cupboard under the stairs, I had a clearout. Kept three as they're all useful in different circumstances - the Stealth Reporter as a shoulder bag, a Vertex AW300 backpack and a Think Tank roller.

I have a few Lowepro bags and they seem pretty well made. Other than that I'd suggest looking at Billingham bags but that'll involve upping the budget but if you do one will probably last you a loooong time.

I've got a New Delhi 510 bag in my garage gathering some dust if you'd like it Andrew?

I've got a New Delhi 510 bag in my garage gathering some dust if you'd like it Andrew?

Hi Jak, thanks for the offer which I will bear in mind. I have a crumpler in the cupboard which I didnt get on with mainly because it didnt have the benefit of an additional carry handle to back up the shoulder strap. Looking at the specs on it the dimensions are almost spot on so

Great bags but might be a bit small for a camera fitted with a 100-400. :thinking:

Possibly. But they do various sizes and versions. I could put a D700 and 80-200 in mine. You wouldn’t get anything else in bar some bits and bobs, tho. Can’t remember what the next model up is but their bags are top notch and don’t look like a typical camera bag, which is a plus in my book.

Possibly. But they do various sizes and versions. I could put a D700 and 80-200 in mine. You wouldn’t get anything else in bar some bits and bobs, tho. Can’t remember what the next model up is but their bags are top notch and don’t look like a typical camera bag, which is a plus in my book.
I think the F-6 is an F-2 minus the side pockets (from comparing with my mate's F-6) and I can squeeze a body with 70-200 attached in my F-2, but as you say not much else. The F-1 might do the job - at a price.

Fantastic bags (I also have an F-3X) but not popular with the 'must have lots of padding' brigade.

I think the F-6 is an F-2 minus the side pockets (from comparing with my mate's F-6) and I can squeeze a body with 70-200 attached in my F-2, but as you say not much else. The F-1 might do the job - at a price.

Fantastic bags (I also have an F-3X) but not popular with the 'must have lots of padding' brigade.

Agreed. They're also a bag I wouldn't mind picking up used as they last forever and look better and better with use. A ton of padding isn't neccessary either unless you plan fending off bulls with your photo bag. If I expect things to be a bit clumsy or if I'm travelling far I'll put the lenses in Domke wraps and even the camera body if it's not getting used for a while. I have the F-3X, too and the F-5XB.

Last edited:
I use a Nova 200 AW II for my 80D and Tamron 100-400, there is also enough room for another smaller lens.

Thanks guys for all the comments and advice so far, please keep it coming. I agree with hashcake that the Nova 200 AW II, seems a good bag, the downside being nobody seems to have them in stock at the moment. Ticks the requirements of not too big, but bigger than existing, and has the carrying handle also.

I have a Lowepro shoulder bag that I never use and keep meaning to sell (along with some other bits) I have a feeling it was a something 200 but Nova doesn't ring a bell - it's old but has probably left my house twice so it's pristine. I can check if it fits this combo. I have a dodgy hip so shoulder bags don't work for me.

I have a Lowepro shoulder bag that I never use and keep meaning to sell (along with some other bits) I have a feeling it was a something 200 but Nova doesn't ring a bell - it's old but has probably left my house twice so it's pristine. I can check if it fits this combo. I have a dodgy hip so shoulder bags don't work for me.

would certainly consider it - Lowepro have so many models it gets confusing, particularly the Nova 200 range which now seems to have the two versions

One of the Think Tank Retrospective range, think the 7 would be ok, certainly long enough

I've just had a look. Mine is a Classified 160 - not 200 at all. It fits the 5D4 with the 100-400ii (incl lens hood) plus the 24-70 2.8. There is more room alongside, but I'm not sure it would reach to another lens - it might. It has leather handle and trim. I need to put the Classified in the Classifieds anyway :ROFLMAO: so perhaps you've given me a good nudge.

Quick phone pics below with the 5D4 and 100-400ii inside.

IMG_5304.jpgIMG_5305.jpgIMG_5306.jpg

I've just had a look. Mine is a Classified 160 - not 200 at all. It fits the 5D4 with the 100-400ii (incl lens hood) plus the 24-70 2.8. There is more room alongside, but I'm not sure it would reach to another lens - it might. It has leather handle and trim. I need to put the Classified in the Classifieds anyway :ROFLMAO: so perhaps you've given me a good nudge.

Quick phone pics below with the 5D4 and 100-400ii inside.

View attachment 317770View attachment 317771View attachment 317772

Hi thanks for digging this out, whilst it would be good for carrying the 5d4 and 100-400 lens looking at the dimensions online, actual available space is less than my current bag - if I only had this combo to carry all the time it would otherwise be fine. Good luck with the sale and thanks again for taking the trouble that you did.

Have used a Lowpro shoulder bag (not sure which but it is one of the larger ones) for a few years. No concerns about the build (they are tank like), but as someone now in middle age, the advice I would give would be to be careful about carrying that level of weight constantly over one shoulder. Didn't notice any back problems in my 20s and 30s but the early 40s they have started, and although not crippling, are unpleasant. With hindsight, anything other than a single camera body and lens should probably go in a backpack. For reference, I was carrying 1 or 2 camera bodies (EOS 5d series), 24-105, 70-200 F2.8 and a wide angle.

Have used a Lowpro shoulder bag (not sure which but it is one of the larger ones) for a few years. No concerns about the build (they are tank like), but as someone now in middle age, the advice I would give would be to be careful about carrying that level of weight constantly over one shoulder. Didn't notice any back problems in my 20s and 30s but the early 40s they have started, and although not crippling, are unpleasant. With hindsight, anything other than a single camera body and lens should probably go in a backpack. For reference, I was carrying 1 or 2 camera bodies (EOS 5d series), 24-105, 70-200 F2.8 and a wide angle.

Totally agree I have had my Nova 180AW for years, its not so much a case of putting lots more stuff into the bag my new 100-400L lens doesn't quite fit - Im hoping now it will be the Nova 200 AW II that I get if anyone stocks it in the UK soon

Back