Show us yer film shots then!

Nikon F4s, Nikkor 24-120mm @24mm, Agfa Vista- Plustek 7600i- starting to get the hang of Vuescan!

1. Morpha Bychan I
16922933406_147ca3167e_b.jpg

2. Morpha Bychan II
16741525057_ce2ed03ce0_b.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 33649

Film Macro Photography & Photoshop!

This is the method I used:-
I first got hold of an egg and carefully made a hole in it using the end of a metal teaspoon, then I emptied out the yoke and gave it a rinse with some warm water.

Next I placed the empty egg shell onto a plane background and took a picture of it using a Nikon F4 camera and a 55mm AF Micro Nikkor f2.8 lens with Bowens studio lights and reflectors.

Using the same camera, lens and lighting set up I took a close up shot of my Dads eye (because he happened to be visiting at the time). Then I had the film developed and did a high resolution scan of both the eye and the egg.

The next step was to cut out the outline of the egg in Photoshop, feather it with a value of 3 drop it onto a white layer background and add a drop shadow to give it depth. I then selected the broken center of the egg, with the broken section of the egg still selected I then selected and copied the scanned photo of the eye and used the paste into command, scaled the image and positioned it. Next I choose select inverse and added more drop shadows to add depth between the edge of the egg and the eye.

Yes I know it's a very long winded way of doing this but it just goes to show what can be achieved using film and Photoshop (The old meeting the new!)

^^^ Eye think this is simply eggscellent.

Thanks Dean.
I got the kit from Firstcall. Actually I ordered a 5 litre kit and they accidentally sent a 1 litre kit, when I phoned them they sent the right one the next day and told me to keep the 1 litre one, excellent customer relations.

Love it, Woodsy, though it's a shame that there's no light on the foreground. Beautiful depth and detail nonetheless and conveys a feeling of chilly days spent walking in the hills.

Thanks Gareth, yeh under the right conditions Ektar can be fantastic.

Love it, Woodsy, though it's a shame that there's no light on the foreground. Beautiful depth and detail nonetheless and conveys a feeling of chilly days spent walking in the hills.

Couldn't agree more fella! It certainly was chilly, sunrise in Scotland in January... :/

Appreciate the comment chap :)

Afternoon all,

So I went back and edited a shot I'd not properly attempted before on account of a shoddy scan result. Taken on Portra 160VC on my RB67 and cropped from 50mm perspective. Thoughts appreciate :)

Lochan na h-Achlaise, Scotland by Jonathan Woods Photography, on Flickr

I agree with Dean, however it does perfectly render that certain magic time of day, when the light has gone from nearby but still lingering over the hills. As a compositional comment, it seems a bit horizontal without much movement up through the image, but this is probably a given with near pano scenes like that. And anyway, it's just... beaut, as my Ozzie colleagues used to say!

And one more from the Automat, this time on Neopan 400.

Dow Crags from Coniston Old Man.
Dow-Crags-Neo400 by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Looks like flickr has oversharpened this a bit.

The tones in the lower two thirds of this photo are rather awesome fella! A little bit of a shame the clouds are blown, though I suspect that's a scanner issue rather than a film issue? Composition is a little lacking for me though fella... I'd like to see more of the foreground and less of the sky :)

Cheers Woodsy lad. You are quite correct about the composition, I saw the light on the hills and forgot about everything else. Last shot on the roll as well and no more film with me.:(

Woodsy;

Was your excellent film capture of Rannoch Moor by chance? I live about 2hrs drive from there. How do you find the 50mm lens length on the RB67....?.....wide enough for landscape photography? I'm presently looking at a 50mm Mamiya Z lens for my RZ at the mo.

Thanks;
pete

British museum. Hasselblad, fuji pro 400h, 50mm distagon.

RC240315EX001319-12.jpg
by biotecbob, on Flickr

That is very good Rob,the control of the highlight potential is superb and the punch that can be achieved with Pro400H is evident when you take a close look at the spots of colour across the photograph. I would be very proud of that photo taken under difficult conditions.

Just love the roof shadows across the whole vista,it is crisp,clean and wonderfully sharp.

That is very good Rob,the control of the highlight potential is superb and the punch that can be achieved with Pro400H is evident when you take a close look at the spots of colour across the photograph. I would be very proud of that photo taken under difficult conditions.

Just love the roof shadows across the whole vista,it is crisp,clean and wonderfully sharp.

Thanks very much for your comment. I guess that much credit has to go to a very good lens and a great scan from UK film lab. However I was pleased how it turned out seeing as it was a handheld shot.

That's a cracker Rob, lovely light across the whole scen. I may have to give UK film lab a shot at scanning some of mmy negs, just to see the difference between them and a home scan.

Here's a couple more from up that London a few weeks ago. Both with the Rolleiflex and on Neopan 400.

The Eduardo Paolazzi sculpture outside the British Library.
16774233837_29f3ab27fb_b.jpg

Waiting for the Train
16981609245_6268089208_b.jpg

Woodsy;

Was your excellent film capture of Rannoch Moor by chance? I live about 2hrs drive from there. How do you find the 50mm lens length on the RB67....?.....wide enough for landscape photography? I'm presently looking at a 50mm Mamiya Z lens for my RZ at the mo.

Thanks;
pete

Hi Pete,

Yep, that's the place :) I don't really use the RB any more to be honest, not since going LF about 4 years ago. Very loosely speaking, 50mm on 6x7 format is not a million miles from a 24mm lens on a 35mm camera in terms of field of view only. This was easily wide enough for me.

British museum. Hasselblad, fuji pro 400h, 50mm distagon.

RC240315EX001319-12.jpg
by biotecbob, on Flickr

wOOw that Fuji Pro400H looks superb Rob........really nice!

I've also seen great photo's displayed here by 'skysh4rk' of this parish using the Pro400H film and they're awesome! Must get me some of that film asap....

Regards;
pete

Yes I have seen some great ones from skysh4rk here. He also uses UK film lab who do a great job on the scanning.

No sign of your Iceland shots yet, Gareth?

RZ67 and 50mm lens with Tri-X
This viewpoint on the River Tyne hasn't been accessible for a while due to construction (or maybe demolition) barriers so when I saw they had been taken down I took the opportunity.

Looking this way is more like the "old" quayside whereas looking in the opposite direction you have the redeveloped part including the Sage and Millenium Bridge.

Underneath the Swing Bridge
by Kevin J Allan, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back