Show us yer film shots then!

The first test shots from my Wista 45 Cherrywood with a Nikkor-W 180mm f5.6 lens. First 2 on Ektar and the second 2 on slightly ood Fuji 160NS.

Across-The-Mersey by Andy, on Flickr

Leaves by Andy, on Flickr

Across-The-Mersey2 by Andy, on Flickr

Perch-Rock-Lighthouse by Andy, on Flickr

Overall I'm very pleased with the combo, the lens is sharp and the body is light and fairly compact. A few little holes in the bellows but nothing that can't be reapired, otherwise in very nice condition.

Reactions: Jao
Nice images Andy, but that's a honking great cyan cast on two of them.

Ah, being colour blind is a right old pain in the eyes..... I don't even know what colour cyan is.:D
I'll do a bit of photoshopping, which 2 are the offenders.

Ah, being colour blind is a right old pain in the eyes..... I don't even know what colour cyan is.:D
I'll do a bit of photoshopping, which 2 are the offenders.

First and third are very obvious, and there's a bit of one on the second too.

Cheers Keith, I'll sort it out in a bit.

Andy
Andy, this is the result of a quick colour balance change in Lightroom.

andysnap across the mersey-2.jpg

However, since my monitor isn't calibrated, this runs the risk of looking strange to other viewers. To my eyes it looks rather flat but perhaps November in NW England might look a little drab ... only you were there to know what it looked like on the day.

I don't know anything about colour-blindness but in my ignorance I suspect that it would be worth (a) calibrating your monitor if you haven't done so (as should I) and (b) using some auto white balance features in software.

Kevin

Hi Keith, that certainly looks better to my eyes. I will have a play with the white balance but I will have to rely on you good people to tell me if its any better.:)

Andy

Well Kevin there is still a Cyan colour cast IMO.........if you have Photoshop just click on "auto-color" and it goes and looks a nice shot..Although I don't know is the sky was quite blue as PS makes it more white and faint blue in places, also if an early morning shot it would be a bit blue and Andy might want this.

Last edited:
Out of interest, some of the shots from that last shoot may be mildly NSFW. I'm assuming it's preferred if I don't post them in this thread?

Out of interest, some of the shots from that last shoot may be mildly NSFW. I'm assuming it's preferred if I don't post them in this thread?

Not being prudish or anything but I'd be nervous opening this thread in the office if there was a chance of NSFW content. Same reason I tend not to use flickr at workk. A link might be better.

Not being prudish or anything but I'd be nervous opening this thread in the office if there was a chance of NSFW content. Same reason I tend not to use flickr at workk. A link might be better.

That's what I thought to be honest. I'm still working out the rejects and keepers so will post links if/when I decide. [emoji4]

I just know some folk are a little adverse to clicking links. I could put them in the shots from film section with a NSFW tag.

I just know some folk are a little adverse to clicking links. I could put them in the shots from film section with a NSFW tag.

I think that would be a good idea. Interested to see them, NSFW or not...

I acquired a Kata waterproof camera cover on eBay last week, so I put it to the test during the heavy rainfall last week. Fortunately, it worked.

These are all excellent RJ. I particularly like the colours you've managed to capture. How did you get on with the rain cover? Recommended? I'm planning a trip to Iceland and have been looking at accessories like this.

A couple from Old Warden last month. These are Ektar 100 on Fuji Crystal Archive.

22956856780_a3ba7b9bea_c.jpg

23226559996_4490314d52_c.jpg

J,

Two very good photographs great colour and the subject matter is brilliant.

I must say the white boarder for me does not work,try black and smaller I think that would enhance the photograph more.

J,

Two very good photographs great colour and the subject matter is brilliant.

I must say the white boarder for me does not work,try black and smaller I think that would enhance the photograph more.

Thanks Richard. I seem to spend more time in the darkroom messing about with borders than I do printing. I do like thin black borders but haven't got a simple way to create them at the moment. 35mm film is easy as I can use a glass negative carrier and print out from the edge (assuming I don't want to crop the print), but these 6x7 negative completely fill the carrier. I've read about laying solid masks on top of the paper to leave a thin edge on two or four sides then exposing the paper to white light. I'll probably try and make something, but the issue is having a material that sits flush and tight to the paper surface. This colour paper is devilishly sensitive and the tiniest bit of stray light will make an unpleasant fuzzy edge against the mask.

Suggestions anyone?

I forgot to add: the airshow had these people posing to create a 'war time feel', and on the day it seemed quite authentic. But now I look back at the photo, it's obvious this old(ish) guy is completely out of place and would never have been flying the Hurricane...which reminds me of my girlfriend chuckling to herself after walking past a group of RAF Typhoon pilots: "Half of them still have acne!"

Thanks Richard. I seem to spend more time in the darkroom messing about with borders than I do printing. I do like thin black borders but haven't got a simple way to create them at the moment. 35mm film is easy as I can use a glass negative carrier and print out from the edge (assuming I don't want to crop the print), but these 6x7 negative completely fill the carrier. I've read about laying solid masks on top of the paper to leave a thin edge on two or four sides then exposing the paper to white light. I'll probably try and make something, but the issue is having a material that sits flush and tight to the paper surface. This colour paper is devilishly sensitive and the tiniest bit of stray light will make an unpleasant fuzzy edge against the mask.

Suggestions anyone?

Sorry no help from me on that complex question. :(

I forgot to add: the airshow had these people posing to create a 'war time feel', and on the day it seemed quite authentic. But now I look back at the photo, it's obvious this old(ish) guy is completely out of place and would never have been flying the Hurricane...which reminds me of my girlfriend chuckling to herself after walking past a group of RAF Typhoon pilots: "Half of them still have acne!"

I think the films give us the wrong idea. Richard Todd was 36 when he played Guy Gibson. Gibson was an old-hand, veteran of many, many raids over Germany, a Wing Commander, a patrician figure in 617 Squadron . . . at 24.

These are all excellent RJ. I particularly like the colours you've managed to capture. How did you get on with the rain cover? Recommended? I'm planning a trip to Iceland and have been looking at accessories like this.

Thanks! The Kata E702-PL rain cover worked very well, as the camera was bone dry while I got poured on. Its shape might not suit some camera types quite as well (e.g., cameras with small lenses), but it definitely suits the medium format SLRs that I ordinarily use. For me, it's more of a tripod-based accessory, as it would otherwise be very difficult to change film, lenses, etc. while the camera was in the cover, but it could be used with a handheld camera at a push.

At the end of the day though, it allowed me to take photographs that I otherwise could not have, so I recommend it, especially if you're patient on eBay, as I've seen a few go for quite cheap.

Suggestions anyone?

At the darkroom I use, some of the 6x6 and 6x7 carriers have been crudely carved out or filed down just enough to allow the film rebate to be seen and exposed on the paper. The carriers aren't necessarily elegant looking, but they work.

Last edited:
Taken with Nikon F4 35-70mm f2.8 and Reala 100

#1.

Just love those old movie cameras and the wooden tripods.

Spot on with the DoF Richard ....The BG is very busy and distracting but you've managed to ensure the subject(s) pop out (y)

I notice the date is marked on the image ......so you have the MF-23 data back then??

A couple from Old Warden last month. These are Ektar 100 on Fuji Crystal Archive.
RA4 printing - the final frontier - I'm still struggling with B&W printing in the darkroom so well done for producing accurate colour prints.
I guess if you really wanted a black border you could add a black card matte afterwards, with or without a frame. It cost me a fortune to import neg carriers for my enlarger from Canada - I was given the enlarger but it came with only a 6*6 carrier - so I'm not about to attack them with a file !

Last edited:
RA4 printing - the final frontier - I'm still struggling with B&W printing in the darkroom so well done for producing accurate colour prints.
I guess if you really wanted a black border you could add a black card matte afterwards, with or without a frame. It cost me a fortune to import neg carriers for my enlarger from Canada - I was given the enlarger but it came with only a 6*6 carrier - so I'm not about to attack them with a file !

Exactly my thoughts regarding the carriers. I have a full set but only one of each, they are in great condition and are hard to come by.

Good point about the black matt. Much easier to change your mind too!

"Can you ensure that I receive a Clarks fitting please" :D

View attachment 51123

Nikon F3 Kodak Tri X HC 110

Asha,

What a great photograph to post back with and I have to say you are excelling with 35mm,send that LF kit to me as you obviously do not need it.:)

The RH side foreground up to the horses neck is wonderfully in focus it is a shame that the full head of the horse is not there,but,ha ho there you go.

Then with the OOF background we get the Blacksmith covered hot sweaty stream it just tells a great story and you can smell the essence of the photograph.

Why has it taken you so long to post a brilliant 35mm,I don't know,I like this photograph very much,it is a wall hanger.

By the way, RA4 really isn't that hard. Not sure why more people don't do it. It's wonderful seeing colour print come out of the tank.

Can't say the paper is that great though. If Fuji make the CA any thinner it will be transparent. A symptom of it being designed for roller transport.

Agreed it is a fantastic red.The complete tree/bush must look wonderful.Is it an Acer?

They are all great RJ, but I think this one is just incredible. I may have had a little less sky and a bit more foreground, but it's really a beautiful photo to look at :)
^^^WHS^^^ cracking shot and for me it would work really well square and we all know it's hip to be square :D

They are all great RJ, but I think this one is just incredible. I may have had a little less sky and a bit more foreground, but it's really a beautiful photo to look at :)
^^^WHS^^^ cracking shot and for me it would work really well square and we all know it's hip to be square :D

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Unfortunately, @Carl Hall, I don't think I could fit any more foreground, because of a ledge in front blocking my sight lines. Ordinarily I could have just walked a bit closer to shoot over it, but there was quite a bit of snow and ice around where I was at the higher altitude and, while I like my photography, I wasn't keen to risk slipping and falling over the edge...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Unfortunately, @Carl Hall, I don't think I could fit any more foreground, because of a ledge in front blocking my sight lines. Ordinarily I could have just walked a bit closer to shoot over it, but there was quite a bit of snow and ice around where I was at the higher altitude and, while I like my photography, I wasn't keen to risk slipping and falling over the edge...

The shot down the loch is superb, but for me, Mrs RJ's comedy owl hat wins first prize :D

Back