Show us yer film shots then!

So i got my first roll of film developed and the digital files back.
I am hooked! As much as i used most of the film to learn the craft of manual focus etc etc it was nice to come away with a couple of photos that are interesting too.

So below i present a couple of efforts. First was shot wide open at f1.7 not sure what aperture the 2nd was taken at.

Taken on Minolta X300 using Fuji Superior 200

Comments are welcome

Minolta X300 with 50mm f1.7 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hooked! As much as i used most of the film to learn the craft of manual focus etc etc it was nice to come away with a couple of photos that are interesting too.

So below i present a couple of efforts. First was shot wide open at f1.7 not sure what aperture the 2nd was taken at.

Comments are welcome

Excellent, it is often the case that when you first shoot film (or go back to it after a while) you forget just how good it can be and these are both very good.

That first one reminds me of '67 man.

:)

You don't know man, you weren't there....... Oh, hang on you were there, I forgot you were so erm.. mature? :D

I've been growing some jalapenos in the garden this year and I've recently picked them to cut up and pickle.

Wanted to try one of those bright and airy like images that you see in cook books nowadays, but there wasn't room on the table for a tripod so I put the board on the floor :D Wasn't expecting much, but I'm pretty happy with how the image came out actually!

Jalapenos
by Carl Hall, on Flickr

Thanks Simon, critiques are always appreciated :)

The photo was a spur of the moment thing as a quick thought before I chopped the chillies up, so I didn't really put too much thought into it. The light came from a set of sliding patio doors to the top left. I guess a reflector would have been a good shout to even it up a little without having to break out some proper light. I've got some more vegetables in the garden that I need to harvest soon (including some one inch long carrots and a total of two mango sized butternut squashes :LOL:), and I think I'm going to try again as it was quite good fun to do.

Comments are welcome

Those have come out really nicely, Stuart, great stuff. Though...

That first one reminds me of '67 man.

:)

The, um, out of focus areas (*) are really quite scary (although I was there in the 60s, I, ahem, didn't "inhale", as they say ;) ).

* EDIT: not sure whether the gentlefolk of F&C actually use the B word!

Last edited:
Thanks. It's Burbage Brook on the Padley Gorge trail, not far from Fox House
My first thought was Padley Gorge but then I thought I was being daft. It it above the little wooden bridge that is near to the gate where the ice cream van usually parks up?

Those have come out really nicely, Stuart, great stuff. Though...

The, um, out of focus areas (*) are really quite scary (although I was there in the 60s, I, ahem, didn't "inhale", as they say ;) ).

* EDIT: not sure whether the gentlefolk of F&C actually use the B word!

Use the B word, man we live the B word.... erm, what actually is the B word?

I have to agree tjat the lens wide open appears to be giving the grass some hippy still swirl.
Im guessing its a character trait of that particular lens

Don't forget when walking along canals etc...pond weed can be interesting. I've posted a few over the years and don't know if posted these:-

CZJ 135mm Sonnar
JFmbxCb.jpg

CZj 28mm
R5EkGBT.jpg

Pentax MX and Tri-X in a steep, dark, windy road in deepest Somerset!

1709BPMXBW05 by Chris R, on Flickr

On a monopod (not really enough room for a tripod and nowhere to go if a car came) and probably down to around 1/30.

(EDIT: replaced the image with one 800 pixels high as I find 1024 pixel images don't work so well in portrait format!)

Last edited:
I probably won't have much time for photography this autumn due to work constraints so I'm looking again at some images from a week in Scotland last Autumn that I haven't shared yet.

Velvia 50:

The Trossachs Hotel
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

Provia 100F:

The colours of Pittenweem

Portra 400:

Inversnaid in Autumn

The first shot looks great, but has a purple cast on my monitor, is that how it's intended to look?

The first shot looks great, but has a purple cast on my monitor, is that how it's intended to look?
It does look fairly warm on the two monitors I've viewed it on, but I wouldn't say it has a strong cast when I view it. The image was taken shortly before sunset on Velvia 50 so it's not going to be at the muted end of the spectrum.

Last edited:
It does look fairly warm on the two monitors I've viewed it on, but I wouldn't say it has a strong cast when I view it. The image was taken shortly before sunset on Velvia 50 so it's not going to be at the muted end of the spectrum.

Looks pretty blue to me too. Cracking shot though.

Back