Show us yer film shots then!

I bought a cheap-ish Yashica Electro over Christmas which was sold as spares or repair. After replacing the light seals and a bit of fiddling around I was reasonably convinced it was working but given that there had been some shutter problems and that I had never done anything like refurbishing a camera before I wasn't entirely sure. Anyway, only one way to find out, so having a few hours to kill in Brum on Saturday I shot a roll of Kentmere 400 (not a film I particularly like but I had a few rolls I got cheaply to use up) and camera seems to be working fine. It was a miserable grey day so the photos are nothing special but I am pleased with them.

Birmingham (3) by Chris H, on Flickr

Birmingham (2) by Chris H, on Flickr

Birmingham (1) by Chris H, on Flickr

Birmingham (6) by Chris H, on Flickr

Last edited:

These are ace, the tower photo especially looks very nice. (y)

The head of a vast, stone Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle rises majestically from the moors above Hathersage in the Peak District. :D

Zeiss Mess-Ikonta 524/16 & Kodak Portra 400 (expired 2016).

FILM - Ninja Turtle-
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Lovely photo Nige, I was a huge fan of the Turtles when I was a kid! My favourite ever toy was a plastic turtle bus that used to trasform into Master Splinter :D

Edit - It was one of these :D

Last edited:
Three shots from a test roll to check the focus was working OK on my Canon Shureshot Supreme; after the first roll through it I thought it might have been focusing a bit short and not going to infinity, but it appears to be OK.

It seems to have captured a good bit of detail on these medium res scans, and the metering seems to have coped with the somewhat tricky winter light too considering I was pointing the focus point at the horizon on the first two. Not bad for a fiver! Film: Kodak T-Max 400.

40164714661_ba83281086_b.jpg

40164714701_4ec0273155_b.jpg

[URL='https://www.flickr.com/photos/156323155@N05/']
[URL='https://www.flickr.com/photos/156323155@N05/']
[/URL][/URL]

Last edited:
Three shots from a test roll to check the focus was working OK on my Canon Shureshot Supreme; after the first roll through it I thought it might have been focusing a bit short and not going to infinity, but it appears to be OK.

It seems to have captured a good bit of detail on these medium res scans, and the metering seems to have coped with the somewhat tricky winter light too considering I was pointing the focus point at the horizon on the first two. Not bad for a fiver! Film: Kodak T-Max 400.

40164714661_ba83281086_b.jpg

40164714701_4ec0273155_b.jpg

I've got a Sure Shot Telemax, which I've owned since the 90s. I'd not used it for about 20 years until recently and it was a revelation - lovely sharp photos. It's not got the fast 2.8 lens that the Supreme has, but it doesn't fare too badly. It's now become my walkabout compact (superceding my Olympus Superzoom 105 G - which was very compact, but produced slightly soft results).

I've seen some of your results with the Telemax and they're pretty impressive. I'm hoping to use the Supreme for a bit of street photography this summer when the light gets a bit better, and it's handy to leave in the car to grab some film shots if the opportunity arises. I've actually got two Sureshots now as the shutter button needed pressing quite hard to fire on the first one I bought, which lead to camera shake. However, when I got the second one I thought what the heck and dismantled the first one and managed to clean the button contacts (and put it back together again!) and it seems to work OK now. Never mind, the more the merrier... one for colour and one for B&W! :D

Lumb Mill, Cheesden Valley, Lancashire. I submitted a digital shot of this mill for the 52 challenge but also happened to have my Hasselblad with me (and a Rolleicord but not processed yet). 80mm lens, Fomapan 100 processed in Rodinal. Quite a bit of spotting in Affinity and some PP in CaptureOne. Still have to get the dev right as it was very contrasty, think I over agitated (or I was over agitated).

Cheesden Valley by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
I was in Venice a while back (Dec 2016) and I'm starting to get through my backlog of undeveloped film and scanning. I've got so much LF to scan for a couple of stalled projects I've decided to park them till I get up the energy to restart my various projects. I'd love to go back with a pack full of Acros and my RB, the streets are so atmospheric at night.

Any way, pictures, shot on an XA on Kentmere 400 so they're a bit gritty the high actutance nature of Pyrocat didn't really help...

Some random street(s)
2016-11-xa-K400009 by Steven, on Flickr
2016-11-xa-K400009 by Steven, on Flickr

The bridge of sighs
2016-11-xa-K400029 by Steven, on Flickr

Proper pea souper for a day or so (fantastic!)
2016-11-xa-K400036 by Steven, on Flickr

OK, so the first 2 are looking very similar to me, but the main thing is that I'm not seeing them as grainy (your gritty), whereas the 3rd one is a bit and the 4th one definitely is. Also looks like your XA is in better nick than mine. (y)

OK, so the first 2 are looking very similar to me, but the main thing is that I'm not seeing them as grainy (your gritty), whereas the 3rd one is a bit and the 4th one definitely is. Also looks like your XA is in better nick than mine. (y)

Well done, you passed the observation test! The first one is in twice I'll fix it when I get near a PC.:oops: :$

It's interesting how well it's handled normal light, the last one would have made acros look grainy, I suspect the fog has caused under exposure plus the fog itself will show up and look like grain.

Here are 3 shots taken with my newly acquired Canon AE-1 Program and a roll of Ilford XP2 Super 400. The camera was my dads, he's had it since it was released and used to take it to the Formula 1 back in the 80's. He gave it to me the other week so I'm still getting used to how it works again as I've not used it for around 16 years. The 2 shots of the band were taken in dark conditions without a flash so I'm surprised they came out as well as they did. If I'd read more about the film before taking the shots I might have done better as I didn't know that with Ilford XP2 Super you can use different ISO settings for each shot.
The ornaments are my mums, there are hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil. Its just a shot I took while getting used to the camera.
Barry Garllow 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Barry Garllow 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Hear, See, Speak no evil by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr

Nice set Steven, I like the first one most

Here are 3 shots taken with my newly acquired Canon AE-1 Program and a roll of Ilford XP2 Super 400. The camera was my dads, he's had it since it was released and used to take it to the Formula 1 back in the 80's. He gave it to me the other week so I'm still getting used to how it works again as I've not used it for around 16 years. The 2 shots of the band were taken in dark conditions without a flash so I'm surprised they came out as well as they did. If I'd read more about the film before taking the shots I might have done better as I didn't know that with Ilford XP2 Super you can use different ISO settings for each shot.
The ornaments are my mums, there are hear no evil, see no evil and speak no evil. Its just a shot I took while getting used to the camera.
Barry Garllow 1 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Barry Garllow 2 by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
Hear, See, Speak no evil by Craig Tillotson, on Flickr
I haven't shot any XP2 since I was in college (13 years ago) but I don't recall being able to set different EI values (ISO in digital terms). I daresay it has a good amount of latitude but I would have thought that it would be a case of pushing or pulling the entire roll of film if you wanted anything other than box speed.

I'm still very much a novice here so hopefully a more experienced F&C member can set me right.

I haven't shot any XP2 since I was in college (13 years ago) but I don't recall being able to set different EI values (ISO in digital terms). I daresay it has a good amount of latitude but I would have thought that it would be a case of pushing or pulling the entire roll of film if you wanted anything other than box speed.

I'm still very much a novice here so hopefully a more experienced F&C member can set me right.

I'm new to all this too so I'm just going by what it says on Ilfords website which is "XP2 SUPER is also special in that you can shoot at different speeds from ISO 50 to 800 on the same roll of film and process as standard C41."

I'm new to all this too so I'm just going by what it says on Ilfords website which is "XP2 SUPER is also special in that you can shoot at different speeds from ISO 50 to 800 on the same roll of film and process as standard C41."
Ahh right I shall have to read up on it, sounds like a more useful film than I realised.

Ahh right I shall have to read up on it, sounds like a more useful film than I realised.
Yeh I wished I'd read all the info before using the film, I think I'll be getting another roll to try out

I'm assuming this is because of exposure latitude (or whatever the right word is), and that you compensate for the effects of the over or under-exposure at the scanning (or wet printing) stage. There are quite a few articles showing C41 film coping with a stop or more of under-exposure and 4 or 5 stops of over-exposure (though the ones I have seen have been colour film rather than XP2).

So, like the photo-journalists used to say, "F/8 and Be There!"...

Back