Show us yer film shots then!

Thanks Chris! I don’t think it would of turned out half as well if it wasn’t for you and everyone’s help and advice on here before I got started!
That's what we are here for; help, advice, suggestions, and sharing experiences good and bad. (y) Oh, and a bit of banter and teasing too! :D

Thanks Chris! I don’t think it would of turned out half as well if it wasn’t for you and everyone’s help and advice on here before I got started!

..but if you find film is too easy to get VG results you might go back to digi o_O:D but as mentioned, using film makes you think more in getting the best shot and is much better (well if more than a joe public happy snapper) than machine gunning with a digi then choosing....... which a 6 year old kid could do.

Go on, you know you want to. :D

24959365628_713bc5e7ab_b.jpg

I'd better stop teasing now or I'm likely to be on the receiving end of two 'contracts', one from your Mrs for leading you astray and the second from the F&C regulars for me posting a digital photo on this thread! :exit:

Last edited:
One of my shots from my first ever roll of 35mm film. Home dev & scan, still a lot to learn but hooked on film already

film2 by Shaun Palmer, on Flickr

First film roll, first home dev, first scan? You should be pretty darn happy with that, mate! Well done that man...

:agree: I would say that was a good result if it was your 100th home dev and scan, let alone your first! Very nice (y)

For those that have used Portra 800, what's your opinion? Is it worth the high cost? About to go on holiday and will probably use my camera in lowish light quite a lot, so am tempted to treat myself to some. Will probably be a mix of 35mm and 120 as I can't decide what camera(s) to take yet so I'll probably take a few!

For those that have used Portra 800, what's your opinion? Is it worth the high cost? About to go on holiday and will probably use my camera in lowish light quite a lot, so am tempted to treat myself to some. Will probably be a mix of 35mm and 120 as I can't decide what camera(s) to take yet so I'll probably take a few!
Yes, I like Portra 800 and use it 'for best' in dull conditions, however, I believe it also works well in winter/spring sunshine too. The colours seem more saturated than Portra 400, which to be honest I've not been all that impressed with. Perhaps do a search on Flickr for Portra 800 and look at results from a number of different photographers and for 35mm and 120? Bearing in mind, the detail displayed will depend on what scanner they've used and the size and resolution it's been uploaded at. It should give you a feel for what to expect from the film before you press the 'buy it now' option.

Edit: Here's an example on 6x9 120 Portra 800 taken indoors hand-held on a dullish day with a 1950s Voigtlander Bessa 1 folding camera (scanned on an Epson V600 at 4800 DPI res [before I knew any better!] resized to 25cm wide and 300 DPI in Photoshop Elements to reduce the original 80mb file!). Not a wonderful photo but It should give you an idea of the grain structure and colour saturation, etc.

26413852748_8b6c459b3a_h.jpg

Edit 2: Here's a 35mm shot taken with Canon EOS-3 and 24-105 L IS on a dull, rainy October afternoon (scanned on V600 at 3200 DPI and resized to 25cm high at 300 DPI in PE again). Hope this is useful, you'll have to look on Flickr for how it works on a sunny day!

Last edited:
There's Superia 800 (and 1600) as well, though it seems pretty expensive too (fleabay prices I saw from £8-£15 or so for a roll). A comparison of the two suggested that the Superia gave a "flatter" feel, which apparently some people like...

Went for walk round RHS Rosemoor yesterday while the wife gossiped with her friend. Not sure if the over brightness is down to the camera (Canon A1, new battery) or is just a quirk of the DoubleX film developed in Rodinal.

Rosemoor 15/2 by Madison S, on Flickr

Not entirely sure why I've got those sprocket marks across there, I can only assume it was an issue when I was loading the film... maybe...

Went for walk round RHS Rosemoor yesterday while the wife gossiped with her friend. Not sure if the over brightness is down to the camera (Canon A1, new battery) or is just a quirk of the DoubleX film developed in Rodinal. Not entirely sure why I've got those sprocket marks across there, I can only assume it was an issue when I was loading the film... maybe...

The exposure looks OK to me, well certainly within the range of what I'd expect with low-angle winter sunshine. Perhaps a little bit contrasty but that's going to be down to the film and its development? If you think they're a bit overexposed then perhaps check you've not moved the exposure compensation dial by mistake, or forgotten to return it to the middle position after moving it? I still think they look OK though. :confused:

Last edited:
The exposure looks OK to me, well certainly within the range of what I'd expect with low-angle winter sunshine. Perhaps a little bit contrasty but that's going to be down to the film and its development? If you think they're a bit overexposed then perhaps check you've not moved the exposure compensation dial by mistake, or forgotten to return it to the middle position after moving it? I still think they look OK though. :confused:

They look ok to me too. I like contrasty shots though, so may be biased. :)

Thanks guys, having had a swing around google at other DoubleX photos, it does appear to be quite a contrasty film. I think the epson scanning software was a bit stumped by it as well, as the original scans were more contrasty/bright than these, but I had a tinker with the sliders for the histogram, which had quite a profound effect, making them much more palatable to me.

Exposure dial was set to 0, always is, but I was shooting more or less automagic for most of the roll, so I hadn't exerted my own control over the settings at all.

Nice shots @Carl Hall, looks like it works OK, always a relief! (y)

I've just got the test roll back from the EOS 30 I bought, taken with a used Canon EF 28-135 IS lens I bought to go with it. Quite pleased with how well the camera copes with the metering. The IS gets a bit noisy if the lens is pointed upwards, but it doesn't seem to impact on the image and it seems to be a nice sharp example, so planning to keep it; it's got 3 months warranty on it so see how it goes!

Fuji Superia 400, Dev only by AG Photolab (posted Weds lunchtime, arrived back Fri lunchtime! :)) home scanned on Epson V600 at 3200 DPI. Not as interesting as Carl's test shots, just had a quick walk round the block to do mine! :whistle:

39590910494_361379c529_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd share this one on here, another from my first roll/first dev. May technically not be the best photograph, but it's my little mate Joshua, I just love the detail captured, especially in the eyes. Sun was very low coming through the window and I had to cool it down a bit it was that warm! Kind of feels like it was taken years and years ago. The lens used was a canon 70-200 f/4, fantastic lens I got second hand a year ago.

P.s there are some fantastic shots posted the last day or two on here, lots of inspiration!

film3 by Shaun Palmer, on Flickr

Haven't shared anything for a while and don't believe I have shared this one. I have so many scans just sat on my hard drive from portrait shoots, travels to Iceland and America and general life that I don't know how or where to share. I no longer have a website to blog them. Seems such a waste (not like many of them are any good).

Kodak Portra 800 - Contax 645

Haven't shared anything for a while and don't believe I have shared this one. I have so many scans just sat on my hard drive from portrait shoots, travels to Iceland and America and general life that I don't know how or where to share. I no longer have a website to blog them. Seems such a waste (not like many of them are any good).

Stick them on Flickr. If you don’t want them cluttering up your stream, create a second account for them.

That’s a lovely shot BTW. (y)

I think you are doing yourself an injustice. I always look forward to seeing your work, always interesting and technically superb, more please. :D

If you're going to be shooting in artificial or mixed light, Cinestill 800T might be better, as it's tungsten balanced. If you're shooting in daylight, Portra 800 is usually better, as it is daylight balanced. Under tungsten lighting, daylight-balanced film effectively loses two stops of sensitivity (and, for best results, really needs an 80b or similar filter to balance colours).

Ultimately though, you can make both work.

For any important events or holidays, I like to have these films handy. Portra 800 is really quite flexible because it looks great overexposed, so can be used all day. Although it does have great latitude too, I only use Cinestill 800T for nighttime shots because of the lack of anti-halation layer, which can create a bit of halo around reddish/orangish light sources.

Stick them on Flickr. If you don’t want them cluttering up your stream, create a second account for them.

That’s a lovely shot BTW. (y)

Thank you. I might ressurect my site and share them on there. I took it down when I stopped shooting weddings. Will drop the odd one on Flickr too to share here. :)

I think you are doing yourself an injustice. I always look forward to seeing your work, always interesting and technically superb, more please. :D

Really appreciate that, thank you. :)

@Carl Hall - Only just seen your post about Portra 800. Is it worth the expense? 100%, yes! My favourite film stock in both 35mm and 120. I shoot it on sunny days for a certain look as well as when the light levels are lower. It is expensive though so when there are offers on eBay and what not, I usually grab some then.

That last image I posted I with it as well as these... (mixture of 645, 6x7 and 35mm)

https://flic.kr/p/BCo8eF

https://flic.kr/p/HztTCH

https://flic.kr/p/NXTadU

https://flic.kr/p/RZQXFf

https://flic.kr/p/YewdKh

:)

Back