Show us yer film shots then!

First roll through the 3 quid charity shop XA with new light seals form some foam I had kicking around.

You're a P.R.A.T :p

You finds a camera for £3, spend an hour with some foam and then have the cheek to post shots like those…...Flirkin' 'ell I cant get results like that with kit that's cost me thousands!!!!:mad::D:D

Thanks Asha, you fool :)

Thanks Peter.

Yes, on importing to lightroom the histogram was near dead center.

Although I'm thinking about reducing dev. time by 1/2 a minute for Fomapan 400

Last edited:
You're a P.R.A.T :p

You finds a camera for £3, spend an hour with some foam and then have the cheek to post shots like those…...Flirkin' 'ell I cant get results like that with kit that's cost me thousands!!!!:mad::D:D

Haha, if you can find an XA or similar in the local sgop, can't fault you! Most charity shops ebay camera gear these days and they cost a lot more than 3 quid. Sickeningly nice pics for a 3 pound shooter!

Last edited:
Great shots Simon I really like the one with the old truck having worked for a haulage company that was running 20 to 25 year old trucks in the past 2 and 3 are also fantastic to my eye.

Have you tampered with the contrast at all or are they as was ? I'm yet to try Fomapan but I do like the look !

Have you tampered with the contrast at all or are they as was ? I'm yet to try Fomapan but I do like the look !

Hi Brad

I always tweak the curves to bring out the full range of tones that are there.

In this case, I think it has a lot to do with the light.

A few of my kindred just North of Whitby at the side of the road, Russian Cosmic 35m by the Lomo Company Kodak colourplus 200, film rub at the top of the frame still present even though I had a go at curing it !

A.JPG

Same kit at Hampton Loade Station on the Severn Valley railway

B.JPG

Evidence of a dodgy spiv attempting to sell nylons to these fine ladies Hampton Loade again.

C.JPG

Last edited:
A few more from the same roll

How many "keepers" do you get out of the average roll Simon?

I get the impression from your postings in here that you possibly get between 30% and 50%.

You don't have to tell me if you don't wish to….., I'm just curious nosey:D

That's a good question Asha.

I think you're probably about right.

This roll was a particularly good one - 21 out of 38, so a little over 50 %

I would be disappointed with less than a dozen, 30%

That's a good question Asha.

I think you're probably about right.

This roll was a particularly good one - 21 out of 38, so a little over 50 %

I would be disappointed with less than a dozen, 30%

That's pretty good going tbh.:clap:

Better that what I typically get:sulk::p

I use a Hoya R72 filter. This is generally more expensive than a deep red filter but, from the examples I have seen on-line, gives a much stronger IR effect. It is designed only for infrared and is almost opaque, so that you can't see through the lens (and hence the viewfinder) when it is attached. A TLR is a good approach since you can leave the filter on the taking lens and of course the viewing lens is unaffected. A rangefinder will also work - assuming it has speeds down to 1s because I usually find myself shootig at 1s at f11 in full sun with the R72 filter attached.

The only IR film available in large format is Rollei IR400, which I used for the above shots and I like in 120 and 35mm. I have a pack of 4*5 Rollei IR film and it is extremely thin which makes it difficult to handle. So far I have screwed up a few sheets due to handling issues and haven't managed a successful shot.

"Bare Trees" shows less of an infrared effect because there wasn't much foilage containing chlorophyll in the shot. The other IR film available now is Ilford SFX 200 which is less IR-sensitive than Rollei IR400 and produces a more subtle effect, such as this:
Developing is just the same as any other B&W and I have used Rodinal, Fotospeed FD10, and HC-110 without any issues.

Many thanks for the info Kevin.;)

I've been taking a look at the filters and film. I can keep the filter price lower by using my smallest diameter LF lens which is in actually fact a 150mm so pretty much ideal for most scenes.

I'll probably add a box of rollei to my cart when I place an order soon for film.

I appreciate what you say about handling but if I don't try for myself!!……

It's good to know that deving is the same as b&w neg film…...Means I'll have a good idea how to do it:D

If I actually manage to get a half decent result, be assured it'll be posted in here!

A few more from the same roll

Really like 717. That dappled light is very nice.

Edit to add - these are really nice images. That last gently upsets my tidyness with the top not being straight, but I love what teh B&W film has done to the canal water. Almost tempts me up to the canal with the one roll of Acros I have...

Last edited:
Asha

I use a Hoya R72 filter. This is generally more expensive than a deep red filter but, from the examples I have seen on-line, gives a much stronger IR effect. It is designed only for infrared and is almost opaque, so that you can't see through the lens (and hence the viewfinder) when it is attached. A TLR is a good approach since you can leave the filter on the taking lens and of course the viewing lens is unaffected. A rangefinder will also work - assuming it has speeds down to 1s because I usually find myself shootig at 1s at f11 in full sun with the R72 filter attached.

The only IR film available in large format is Rollei IR400, which I used for the above shots and I like in 120 and 35mm. I have a pack of 4*5 Rollei IR film and it is extremely thin which makes it difficult to handle. So far I have screwed up a few sheets due to handling issues and haven't managed a successful shot.

"Bare Trees" shows less of an infrared effect because there wasn't much foilage containing chlorophyll in the shot. The other IR film available now is Ilford SFX 200 which is less IR-sensitive than Rollei IR400 and produces a more subtle effect, such as this:

Developing is just the same as any other B&W and I have used Rodinal, Fotospeed FD10, and HC-110 without any issues.

Kevin
This inspired me to find my R72 filter and the correct stepping rings to fit it on my Yashicamat in order to shoot one of my (very) OOD rolls of Konica IR film in today's wall-to-wall sunshine. Except it was cloudy and dull all day and it's to be rain most of tomorrow, so that's another idea on the back burner. :rolleyes:

Really like 717. That dappled light is very nice.

Edit to add - these are really nice images. That last gently upsets my tidyness with the top not being straight, but I love what teh B&W film has done to the canal water. Almost tempts me up to the canal with the one roll of Acros I have...

Thanks Ian

The canal here is the colour of builders' tea.

Neatness is vastly overrated

:)

Just an indoor test shot with my relatively new AE-1 & some HP5+ pushed to 800.

AE-1 Test Shot
by Ian, on Flickr

Heh, no flash. Just mirror lights from her makeup table (camera left) and that's it. It's quite bright though.

What! Not ORWO film?

Thanks Asha, but I can't take credit for that.

The Solinar lenses are unbelievable. IMO they pee all over Tessar. It's not even close.

Overloaded bookshelf.
Fuji GS645S with TRI-X.

1391_009 copy.jpg

South Stack, Anglesey
Fuji GS645S with TRI-X.

1392_006 copy.jpg

Near Trearddur Bay
Fuji GS645S Fujichrome Provia 400X (RXP)

1394_012 copy.jpg

Near the same spot, the day before
Fuji GS645S TRI-X

1393_006 copy.jpg

Bangor Pier
Fuji GS645S Fujichrome Provia 400X (RXP)
The sky was a bit washed out in the original slide so I burnt it in using Lightroom and got this very vivid blue which is a bit OTT but striking at the same time
The film expired in 2012 and hasn't been well stored so I can't complain

1396_015 copy.jpg

Love the first one.

IMO, all that technical stuff very much plays second fiddle to visual impact.
I'd be very pleased with them all tbh:)

Thanks both.

Yeah, I’m more than happy to crush blacks and blow highlights to get the look I want, but was a little unsure about this one. Happy you like it. (y)

Back