Show us yer film shots then!

Bronica ETRS, Shoreham houseboat. And for some reason, this is as large as I can upload.

Shoreham houseboat.jpg

Are you sure that's not just an accident or the result of an explosion Stephen ?

Another one from the Commi Cosmic 35m Kodak colourplus 200 over exposed as the light conditions were poor this has caused a bit of a colour shift. On a ride down a local ex Railway.

64580019_36253021233_o.jpg

Last edited:
Very strong reds in there. Good contrast too for an expired film...

Yep. I overexposed it by about 1 & 1/2 stops (80asa) to allow for the age of the film but the images were pretty bright as a result, so I’ve had to reduce the highlights and exposure in Lightroom to compensate. I’ve got another roll left, but I think I’ll shoot that one at 100 or 125asa to see how that works.

Got a play in the shed/studio/shop the other day (really need a better name for it) this would have been my entry for decay had I been set up in time for August competition . Given it was already desiccated from sitting in the window for too long another few weeks didn't do it any harm.

I'm afraid there may be a lot in this style while I get set up and try and do more interesting stuff.

Having scanned and looked at it, apart from the wrinkled paper which was all I had, the head could do with some fill light from the front to open it up a bit.

desiccated Rose by Steven, on Flickr

The daisy was a couple of days later but the camera was racked so far out there has been some movement which spoils it some what. Might need a monorail after all!

Daisy by Steven, on Flickr

Last edited:
That second one makes me think that there might be something in this colour photography idea. Like it very much Peter.

Last edited:
That second one makes me think that there might be so ething in this colour photography idea. Like it very much Peter.
Thanks Stephen, hopefully someone might know what kind of flowers these are!

Sue thinks it's a type of clematis. She'll check when we get home as to variety.

Last edited:
The most likely candidate is clematis tangutica. At least it gives you a starting point. My knowledge of plants and gardening could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a shovel.

The most likely candidate is clematis tangutica. At least it gives you a starting point. My knowledge of plants and gardening could be written on the back of a postage stamp with a shovel.
That's great Stephen, so please thank Sue for me. I'll start with that tomorrow.

Just had a look and I'd say Sue is very definitely right on that identification.

Many thanks, Peter

Is this look the result of using expired film? I've got some Fuji C200 I use from time to time which has an expiry date of 2016.

I've tweaked this in LR a little bit as the original is very flat and has a certain haze to it. So lifted exposure and a little bit of contrast.

I've noticed this kind of look on quite a few films I've shot and had developed by FilmDev.

Any clues/advice to this much appreciated.

000082690007.jpg

Is this look the result of using expired film? I've got some Fuji C200 I use from time to time which has an expiry date of 2016.

I've tweaked this in LR a little bit as the original is very flat and has a certain haze to it. So lifted exposure and a little bit of contrast.

I've noticed this kind of look on quite a few films I've shot and had developed by FilmDev.

Any clues/advice to this much appreciated.

View attachment 257333

Just bring the image up in Photoshop and select "auto color" and it clears the muddy appearance

I like the second one looking along the platform. Pity the trains not moving.

I own an Pentax Espio 140M too, do you find it heavy on batteries?

Thanks.

I've not used it enough yet to say what the battery consumption is like. This was only the second roll I've put through it, so it would have been attrocious had it run out of juice already. :)

I've got three compacts that I use semi-regularly and they're all still on their first set of batteries.

Hellifield station, in North Yorkshire, was a major interchange for Midland Railways, and also housed a large locomotive shed (now sadly gone). Today it is an unmanned stop on the Leeds-Carlisle line. It is also where steam locomotives are coupled onto excursion trains for the Settle-Carlisle railway and a watering stop. Many of the signals along the line are still of the semaphore type, and Hellifield has its own manned signal box. The station, fortunately, is a listed building retaining much of its Victorian character. Taken with my Contax RTS, Fomapan 200 film.

Hellifield Station 1 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Hellifield Station 4 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Hellifield Station 2 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

Hellifield Station 3 by Stephen Lee, on Flickr

A couple of shots from Stonehaven harbour area last month. Both are Filmdev scans with minor levels adjustment, but I think they show the difference in the quality of light between afternoon and "golden hour with a stormy sky", if you can catch it. It doesn't mean that one is better than the other, so it's down to taste. The daytime one is Colorplus 200 shot at 100 on the £5 Chinon, while the golden hour one is Ektar shot at 100 on the £20 Ensign Selfix, so stonger colours would be expected from Ektar anyway.

000094500021-copy-tp.jpg

000081280008-copy-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Love the grime of industry. Pity about the cars, but hey, they were there so they’re part of the photo.

Thanks Stephen. It was a properly grim day for it too - I got soaked! Sometimes that's the best weather for photos though. :)

I don't mind the cars so much. Although they're contemporary now, in a few decades time they'll be of their time and that'll be nice to see in the photo.

I recently chatted with a bloke at the Lincoln Steam Rally who was taking pictures of vintage buses. We both agreed that it was a good thing to keep contemporary vehicles in images as they will serve to date the photograph in future, much as hairstyles, fashions, shop signs etc. will. He said he makes a lot of his income now from selling photos of cars, trucks and buses that he photographed back in the 70s and 80s. At the time they were commonplace and contemporary, now they're classic / vintage / nostalgic.

Back