Show us yer film shots then!

This is spectacularly off-topic, but buying @Woodsy Mamiya RB67 in the classifieds and running 35mm film through it like this guy does would be an awful lot cheaper. And you'd have a 6x7 MF camera as a bonus. Result or what? :cool: I should probably point out that other MF cameras are also available in many places. :whistle:

Every time I see what the Xpan are going for, I consider selling but then a roll of scans come back from it and I can't do it. I often consider selling everything else and just shooting everything in 65x24 ratio.

These photos sat undeveloped in my Holga 120GTLR for ages (it took a long time to finish roll) and even travelled back from South Korea via checked luggage, which is supposedly a big no-no with film. They are from Christmas day 2017 in Seoul.

Roll 766 (1 of 10).jpgRoll 766 (5 of 10).jpg

This is a view of the Assynt hills and was the other Acros 5x4 I scanned with Epson Scan a couple of days ago. A b&w shot of a rainbow has never seemed like the best idea, which is why I've never done anything with this photo. The first version is full frame and the second a panoramic crop to take away the foreground, and your preference would be interesting. (y)

img022-copy-tp.jpg

img022-copy-tp-copy.jpg

This is a view of the Assynt hills and was the other Acros 5x4 I scanned with Epson Scan a couple of days ago. A b&w shot of a rainbow has never seemed like the best idea, which is why I've never done anything with this photo. The first version is full frame and the second a panoramic crop to take away the foreground, and your preference would be interesting. (y)

View attachment 260472

View attachment 260473
Personally I like the crop to start at the road, that way you keep the light area of ground in the left foreground. Fabulous shot.

Another Holga haybale. These are still stood in a field not too far from where I live and are beginning to sprout fresh grass from their tops. There's a nearby barn that looks like it might have suffered a fire, so I'm guessing the farmer has had to abandon them in the fields due to having nowhere to store them.

Holga 120N
Kodak Tmax 400 (expired)

FILM - Haybale
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

View attachment 260472

View attachment 260473

For me it has to be the first which shows the whole scene and puts the mountains in perspective with the surrounding land.

The hills look lost in the pano shot imo and the foreground simply doesn’t lead in for me possibly due to the amount of sky taking prominence

Last edited:
This is spectacularly off-topic, but buying @Woodsy Mamiya RB67 in the classifieds and running 35mm film through it like this guy does would be an awful lot cheaper. And you'd have a 6x7 MF camera as a bonus. Result or what? :cool: I should probably point out that other MF cameras are also available in many places. :whistle:

I've done the same thing with 35mm film in an RZ67 and redscaled the film too for a bit more wackyness:

RZ67, 35mm sprockets, Newcastle, Agfa Vista 200, 5.jpg

Dave Proctor (the guy linked to above) used a 220 film back; I don't have one so I just taped a bit of backing paper to the pressure plate to take up the empty space. I'm planning to do a bit more of this next year.

The first version is full frame and the second a panoramic crop to take away the foreground, and your preference would be interesting.

I prefer the full frame version as
a) the strong foreground "grounds" the photo
b) the "road to nowhere" that just suddenly starts/ends in the foreground adds to the sense of isolation.

It's a wonderful part of the world for photography (on the days when you can see the hills and mountains :)).

View attachment 260472

View attachment 260473
The crop. The first iteration has the road ending abruptly at the knoll.

Here's one from our Slovenia visit... the church and island in Lake Bled

1909DPLXCN Slovenia Bled boats by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Portra 400

This is the first image I've exported and uploaded to flickr after migrating all my images from Aperture to Capture One Pro. I was going to write "still learning", but TBH I've barely started learning yet!

I remember seeing that concrete monstrosity behind the island, when I visited Bled, and wondered how much it cost to secure the planning permission !
I think when you're the Dictator, planning permission is quite cheap!

(TBH I'm not quite sure it's the one, but we were told that Tito had several properties around the Lake, and that side has the better view of the famous steps up to the church.)

Here's one from our Slovenia visit... the church and island in Lake Bled

1909DPLXCN Slovenia Bled boats by Chris R, on Flickr

Pentax LX, Vivitar 35-70, Portra 400

This is the first image I've exported and uploaded to flickr after migrating all my images from Aperture to Capture One Pro. I was going to write "still learning", but TBH I've barely started learning yet!
I do like those colours!

I shudder to think how long ago this was taken - probably with a Mamiya C220, but I'm pretty sure it was Ilford Pan F which I couldn't get enough of at the time.

I seem to remember we were just going out somewhere - hence the "Do you have to get that thing out now" look.

2388890249_f5fc152496_o.jpg

I LOVE this. Simply sumptuous work

Jesus, God, I've just looked it up!
Still time to get your Euromillions lottery ticket for tonight's £98million jackpot. :D
Indeed! Ffordes have some second hand in stock from £2,500 to £4,200. Ouch!

Another great option, with outstanding image quality, is a Pentax 6x7 + 45mm lens. You get almost exactly the same image as you would with an Xpan, when cropped or using 35mm film. The 45mm lens is very light, which helps offset the weight of the body. Add a waist level viewfinder for even less weight, crop to 24x65 ratio, and nobody will be able to tell you didn't use a native panoramic camera. If, like me, you love shooting panoramas, you could even blank out the top and bottom of the viewfinder to help frame correctly.

£500–£600 vs £2500 for the Xpan

Both lovely shots (despite my dislike of milky water!)

Thanks Stephen. I don’t mind milky water, although I like to keep some texture if possible. I was limited by the speed of the Velvia and dim light on this occasion to some extent though.

Image one is just lovely , (n)

Thanks Allen. I’m assuming that was meant to be a thumbs up. :)

Last edited:
went over to Thorndon Park North near Brentwood, ESSEX with friends from Brentwood & District Photo Club but we had left it too late really for best ''Autumn Scenes and Light' -- Grotty Grey and Cold Day so I caught a Chill -- used my 1962 Rolleiflex 3.5 E Planar + 05/2005 dated Fuji NPC 160 which I rated at 100 ASA using a Weston Master III to meter . Scanned with CANON 9000F Mk II + Vuescan Pro + fastStone IMae Viewer to colour correct and add some contrast.
Rolleiflex E3 Planar in the woods by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Got back from New York last week, first time visiting and now I totally understand why so much great street photography comes from there, there's a certain energy there that's quite different to London. Will definitely visit again in the Summer at some point.

Just a few for now, currently sitting on a bunch of scans trying to find a nice sequence.

r3nrMK5.jpg

zZbS8QE.jpg

aTG7U25.jpg

rZjKHwA.jpg

Leica M4 + 35/2, Nikon FM3a + 28/2.8, Portra 400 and Tri-X pushed to 800.

Got back from New York last week, first time visiting and now I totally understand why so much great street photography comes from there, there's a certain energy there that's quite different to London. Will definitely visit again in the Summer at some point.

Just a few for now, currently sitting on a bunch of scans trying to find a nice sequence.

rZjKHwA.jpg

Leica M4 + 35/2, Nikon FM3a + 28/2.8, Portra 400 and Tri-X pushed to 800.

We walked the High Line to Hudson Yards when we visited earlier in the year, but there was a big queue for The Vessel, so I didn't climb it. I wish I had now having seen your shot.

Back