Show us yer film shots then!

We walked the High Line to Hudson Yards when we visited earlier in the year, but there was a big queue for The Vessel, so I didn't climb it. I wish I had now having seen your shot.

It was very windy and cold when I went so we didn't have to queue at all, the lack of crowds make for much better photos there imo.

Like the look of this one's muted colours. Sharp as well. I was considering one of these cameras a while back. Any particular vices?
Thanks; I'd have liked a bit more depth of field, but I hadn't got a tripod with me so a narrower aperture wasn't possible without camera shake.

Vices are as with most folding cameras from 65+ years ago: The slow (1/30 and below) shutter speeds are prone to running slow or sticking with age, requiring a shutter mechanism CLA (usually about £50 or so to have done). Changing shutter speeds from above 1/30 to below 1/30 with the shutter cocked can damage the mechanism, so don't do It (and hope the previous user/s didn't!). The lens can suffer age related scratches, haze, element separation, fungus, etc. so check it's a good, clear one!

Lenses can be out of focus too, so ask for this to be checked and adjusted if having a CLA done - it's a fairly simple job that should be done at the same time as stripping the shutter mechanism, as they've got to take the lens off to get at the shutter mech, but specify that you want the focus checking in case they try to take a short cut! The film winding knob can become stiff with age - once again, an easy 'clean and lube' type fix for a camera repairer. On the rear film door, the red transparent plastic 'windows' can come loose and go missing from behind the metal sliding covers - once again, an easy fix for a camera repairer who's used to working on old cameras.

I've found the bellows on the 820 are usually OK, unless they've been physically damaged or abused. Check the chrome metal strut arms on the bellows folding mechanism, as the small rivet/pin that joins the folding lens/shutter mounting bracket/plate can break. If there's a leather case with it, then the strap tends to wear and break where it joins the main case stitching - nothing a good saddler shouldn't be able to repair, but once again, for a cost.

If looking for an 820 then go for one with the Ross Xpres lens as they made 'economy' versions with lesser quality (but apparently still quite good) lenses - for the sake of the usual £10 to £20 price difference you may as well go for the top spec. All that might sound a bit off-putting, but it's the same with most old folding cameras and it's all fairly easy to check and detect. Hope this is useful, and best of luck if you give one a go.

Last edited:
Having seen it, so am I :)

Nice muted but clear colours. I'm not normally a fan of Kodak colour film, but ...
Thanks. I've always been a fan of Kodak print film and I quite like the Gold 200 these days; it's reasonably priced, lower grained than ColorPlus 200 and it's warm with well-saturated colours but without getting too silly. The 35 zone matrix metering on that EOS 30v helps in contrasty autumn/winter lighting conditions too. :)

I was 'Gifted' a CANON EOS 1000F outfit by a Lady who said she last used it in the 1990's -- no wonder the 2CR5 BATTERY was DEAD it is in 'Mint condition with 2 lenses.
There was a Fuji Superia 400 FILM still in it -- I processed it in C41 and there were very FAINT images on it ! I managed to get out a set and e-mailed them to the Old Couple-- they were Over The Moon as their 'Kids' are now 30 years OLDER ! I tried camera out with some Kodak 'Chromogenic' B&W 400 film and show a few results.
2019-12-01-0002.jpg2019-12-01-0012.jpg2019-12-03-0009.jpg

I was 'Gifted' a CANON EOS 1000F outfit by a Lady who said she last used it in the 1990's -- no wonder the 2CR5 BATTERY was DEAD it is in 'Mint condition with 2 lenses.
There was a Fuji Superia 400 FILM still in it -- I processed it in C41 and there were very FAINT images on it ! I managed to get out a set and e-mailed them to the Old Couple-- they were Over The Moon as their 'Kids' are now 30 years OLDER ! I tried camera out with some Kodak 'Chromogenic' B&W 400 film and show a few results.
View attachment 262241View attachment 262242View attachment 262243

Well done Pete worth the effort , Top man :)

It's a miserable day here today and I've beeen dodging the card writing by digging out the negs for NOFC 120. While doing this, I rediscovered some of Hilda who appeared in my NOFC 119 entry, but when she had a different hairstyle. :whistle: Ah, the good old days! Konica FC1, Ilford Delta 100 and possibly the great Tamron 70-150 F2.8 lens, although double catchlights were/are a Marmite thing for some.

2019-12-10-0008-copy-flickr-copy-tp.jpg

2019-12-10-0011-copy-flickr-tp.jpg

2019-12-10-0021-copy-flickr-tp.jpg

Last edited:
It's a miserable day here today and I've beeen dodging the card writing by digging out the negs for NOFC 120. While doing this, I rediscovered some of Hilda who appeared in my NOFC 119 entry, but when she had a different hairstyle. :whistle: Ah, the good old days! Konica FC1, Ilford Delta 100 and possibly the great Tamron 70-150 F2.8 lens, although double catchlights were/are a Marmite thing for some.

View attachment 262612

View attachment 262613

View attachment 262614

Wow, a beautiful young lady!

Who could not fall for her gorgeous expression in the second photo :love::LOL:

My sort of photo!

Mine too generally as architecture is what usually grasps me when out for a stroll.

I do like all the different textures in the image tbh.

It's the window being offset to the bottom right that I'm unsure about....At the time of composure, it appeared preferable to having it centered in the frame.

It's the window being offset to the bottom right that I'm unsure about....At the time of composure, it appeared preferable to having it centered in the frame.
It's right where it is. It gives context as to its synergy with the rest of the building. (that sounds like a pretentious load of b&&&x, but you know what I mean!)

Back