Show us yer film shots then!

A horse with the Nikon FG on Fomapan 400

Really like this. Moody & atmospheric. I recently ran a roll of Fomapan 100 pushed to 400 through my camera and was really pleased with the results. I quite like this film.

A few from earlier this year.

4. Audley with the Rolleicord and Delta 400
img193 by Simon, on Flickr

That brings back a few memories - my home village. As a teenager I worked in the ironmongers that was that white row of shops, and got to kiss the lass I was keen on in the upper room at 'The Butchers Arms' as we danced to 'Nights in White Satin' as the last track of the party.

A trio from Scotland on the XPan. The first, I posted in the XPan thread a while ago but thought I would add them here altogether, hope you don't mind.

Hasselblad XPan - Kodak Ektar 100

These are great. I particularly like 1 & 3. Hope you're enjoying your Xpan as much as I am. Just back from a short break and decided to give my Mamiya 6 a bit of a work-out instead of the 'blad. Regretted it the whole time. I think I've tuned myself into looking for panoramic shots.

Three more from Iceland. Portra 400.

28930165397_ba9885f55c_b.jpg

42962527265_549b9182dd_b.jpg

28930164137_e4c491d769_b.jpg

These are great. I particularly like 1 & 3. Hope you're enjoying your Xpan as much as I am. Just back from a short break and decided to give my Mamiya 6 a bit of a work-out instead of the 'blad. Regretted it the whole time. I think I've tuned myself into looking for panoramic shots.

Three more from Iceland. Portra 400.

28930165397_ba9885f55c_b.jpg

42962527265_549b9182dd_b.jpg

28930164137_e4c491d769_b.jpg

Thanks man!

Those are amazing! I haven’t really used mine since Scotland though. Need another trip away soon.

That’s me not posting any more! Ha. Great stuff.

LOL - I hope not Gareth.

I don't want to downplay my photographic skills (?) ...but I've never been in so many amazing locations with such perfect light, that we had in Iceland this time. I felt like I could have swung the camera around my head with a rope and come away with a full roll of keepers :D

Thanks guys. A few more from the same trip. All Portra 400 and scanned with the Pakon.

43159737014_b07cbf06fa_b.jpg

43877081581_2f408104a2_b.jpg

42068467460_9ecdcb43ec_b.jpg

I really do like these! Would you be prepared to send me some negatives (nothing precious) so I could try a scan on my Noritsu LS-600? I fully understand if you don't want to.

I really do like these! Would you be prepared to send me some negatives (nothing precious) so I could try a scan on my Noritsu LS-600? I fully understand if you don't want to.

Hi Fraser - I'm planning to wet print a lot of these soon, but I should be able to find a couple of strips that I won't be using. PM me your address and I'll drop them in the post.

Out of curiosity, why the interest in scanning these? If you're looking to get the same sort of output from the Noritsu, it's probably worth mentioning that my exported scans look nothing like the above. I export from the Pakon as very flat, low-contrast, low-saturation raw tiffs and tweak everything with a couple of my own presets in Lightroom. The Pakon seems to love scanning Portra though. I only had to tweak the colour of one or two scans, and then only to add a tiny amount of yellow to warm things up to how I remembered the scene.

Snip:
Out of curiosity, why the interest in scanning these?
I could well be wrong, but my guess is that Fraser probably wants to see if his scanner can cope with panoramic format negs before he scampers off and buys an XPan. ;) Don't do it Fraser, think of your Rolleiflex family and those poor little Nikons, don't let them starve! :D

Last edited:
Snip:
I could well be wrong, but my guess is that Fraser probably wants to see if his scanner can cope with panoramic format negs before he scampers off and buys an XPan. ;) Don't do it Fraser, think of your Rolleiflex family and those poor little Nikons, don't let them starve! :D

But the Xpan is nice!

Snip:

Ah! That makes sense...as does buying an Xpan (y)

1st sheet I've developed from my 8x10, taken on FP4, 2 second exposure. This is the view of Hathersage with the Hope valley in the distance taken from Millstone Edge. Annoyingly I just ran out of depth of field on the heather in the close foreground.

20211-1533674784-d4025dfbdd5c565756dd321a8364949a.jpg

I should have a couple more sheets from the same trip coming, just need to get round to developing them.

Edit to add a 100% crop of the station from the middle of the image, just in case any one is curious. This is scanned on a v700 flat on the glass, so it's not the peak of quality scanning :p

20212-1533675518-7b13687766cf63b8f457122d99eef503.jpg

Last edited:
Annoyingly I just ran out of depth of field on the heather in the close foreground.

Tilt?

Edit to add: Nice one. As a matter of interest, how did you develop it (meaning tank/dish etc rather than D76/Rodinal)?

Last edited:
Tilt?

Edit to add: Nice one. As a matter of interest, how did you develop it (meaning tank/dish etc rather than D76/Rodinal)?

No tilt, I thought at f32 I would have the DOF as the camera was 6ft up and about 6ft away from the heather, next time I'll know better :oops: :$. I developed it in a Jobo 1525 tank I bought off Fraser and did the continuous agitation manually rolling it on my table. I measured out the length required for 1.25 resolutions and marked it with tape, then just kept to a regular rhythm for the duration of the developing. Incidentally it's in 1+25 rodinal, metered at 125 and developed for 6:45

@raathistle , that’s a bit good!

Cheers dude. Annoyingly the light was much better suited to colour but I only had FP4, and having carried the very heavy bag up the hill I was taking the picture! Hoping I can go back this weekend with some Provia :D

Last edited:
1st sheet I've developed from my 8x10, taken on FP4, 2 second exposure. This is the view of Hathersage with the Hope valley in the distance taken from Millstone Edge. Annoyingly I just ran out of depth of field on the heather in the close foreground.

Wow, thats stunning

Another 8x10 from the same trip, taken about 30 minutes later or so. The far visibility was starting to fail at this point, especially with the haze from the patches of sunlight breaking through.

20220-1533767657-d899bf6a3180a6913fc6832d6272351a.jpg

Another 100% crop, this time from the top left hand bit of the ridge showing the detail present in the radio mast on Shatton Moor that's being back lit by the sun, which is approx 3.5 miles from where the photo was taken

20221-1533768087-2192b23a7faefe0e748071728a6f7c44.jpg

Another 8x10 from the same trip, taken about 30 minutes later or so. The far visibility was starting to fail at this point, especially with the haze from the patches of sunlight breaking through.

Another 100% crop, this time from the top left hand bit of the ridge showing the detail present in the radio mast on Shatton Moor that's being back lit by the sun, which is approx 3.5 miles from where the photo was taken

No.1 for me - fantastic!!!

I can highly recommend these as they improved my scan sharpness quite a bit:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html

Not sure they do a 10 x 8 frame but they were very helpful with questions I asked.

Last edited:
No.1 for me - fantastic!!!

I can highly recommend these as they improved my scan sharpness quite a bit:

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/models/vseries.html

Not sure they do a 10 x 8 frame but they were very helpful with questions I asked.

I actually already have the multi-format thing that they make, annoyingly it'll only take something like a 5x7 piece of film though, well short of these unfortunately. I agree as.well, the first one is my favourite of the 3 I've deved so far

Absolutely xxxxing stunning! FP4 again?

Absolutely xxxxing stunning! FP4 again?

Yeah, FP4 developed the same way. Yellow filter and a grad for the sky which I placed a little low (hence the darkness on the top of the hill to the left). It's strange I've never liked FP4 in roll film, but I seem to be getting on well with it in sheets :)

No tilt, I thought at f32 I would have the DOF as the camera was 6ft up and about 6ft away from the heather, next time I'll know better :oops: :$. I developed it in a Jobo 1525 tank I bought off Fraser and did the continuous agitation manually rolling it on my table. I measured out the length required for 1.25 resolutions and marked it with tape, then just kept to a regular rhythm for the duration of the developing. Incidentally it's in 1+25 rodinal, metered at 125 and developed for 6:45

Cheers dude. Annoyingly the light was much better suited to colour but I only had FP4, and having carried the very heavy bag up the hill I was taking the picture! Hoping I can go back this weekend with some Provia :D

You need one of these for agitation of the tank:

http://store.khbphotografix.com/Simma-Roller-Motor-Base-Agitator-for-Print-Processing-Drums.html

Great shot, and that crop is bonkers!
How do you position your grad filter? I have difficulty actually seeing the effect on the ground glass and often end up with it too low/high...

Great shot, and that crop is bonkers!
How do you position your grad filter? I have difficulty actually seeing the effect on the ground glass and often end up with it too low/high...

If I can't see it easily I either double them up, or use a reverse grad which is a bit easier to see. I also sometimes just have to guess, but placing a total of an ND 1.5 does make it easier

Gone a bit lomo recently by using ancient expired jessops film. Looks like the 15 year old is when it starts to get a bit weird. The back on the XA flying open didn't help either.

Attingham park on the XA:

Attingham Park by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Attingham Park by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Went to the Festival of the Unexceptional a few weeks ago. Left the jessops to ferment in a drawer for a few weeks but it's still ok considering. Bit grainy but I shot it at box speed. The lens also went loose on the Dynax so I nearly had a meltdown when it wouldn't work at all after spending 2 hours getting there and stepping out into the Oven that was outdoors.

Festival of the Unexceptional by Suzy Richards, on Flickr

Not the best photo but I'm fairly chuffed with it, my 3rd ever photo on 5x4 (the other two weren't worth scanning), MPP Microtechnical, Ilford HP5+. The neg is higher quality than this but I need a better set-up for scanning

First-4x5 by Chris H, on Flickr

Back