Show us yer film shots then!

Last edited:
It's becoming a bit of a light-fest with those photos from Andy and Nige - lovely stuff. Trust me to be flat out with work over the last couple of weeks and missing it all. :facepalm:

I just love the light in that Nige!

Thanks Asha. I went to the seaside hoping for moody, off-season shots of closed up arcades and bucket-and-spade shops but, given it was the warmest UK February on record, there were people sat on the beach on deckchairs eating ice-creams! It was pretty cold and moody when I first got there though, so I did manage to capture a touch of "grimness" - helped by the Fomapan 400 which seems to have come out slightly underexposed (maybe because I was using an orange grad filter and it b*gg*red up the metering or something...).

Fomapan 400 which seems to have come out slightly underexposed (maybe because I was using an orange grad filter and it b*gg*red up the metering or something...).

Fomapan 400 is another of those films that I can't get on with due to giving hit & miss results with no apparent differences in shooting or developing methods.
The slower 100 speed seems to be more "stable".

quick pano from Powys castle. On etrsi and Fuji 400h pro. looks better on flickr. its not had much done in the way of pp
Untitled_Panorama1 by nik-o 2012, on Flickr

Yes it certainty does look better on your Flickr at large size. An excellent panorama with great detail and very good composition, what lens did you use and by the way well done.(y)

Yes it certainty does look better on your Flickr at large size. An excellent panorama with great detail and very good composition, what lens did you use and by the way well done.(y)
thank you mate, mind you the same taken when the garden is in full bloom would be something else. Their gardens are stunning. its a 75mm pe, lovely bit of glass- got a 40mm pe on its way, so hoping that is good as well.

thank you mate, mind you the same taken when the garden is in full bloom would be something else. Their gardens are stunning. its a 75mm pe, lovely bit of glass- got a 40mm pe on its way, so hoping that is good as well.

Very nice lenses, I have both and the 40mm is a great performer.

From a trip to Edinburgh this week, with a Yashicamat 124G and Ilford HP5+, which I pushed to EI1600 and developed in HC110:

What happens in the shadows?
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr
Really worth clicking through to the big version on Flickr to see the detail here. As a matter of interest, what was the dilution and time of the HC-110 as this is a great result Kevin?

Really worth clicking through to the big version on Flickr to see the detail here. As a matter of interest, what was the dilution and time of the HC-110 as this is a great result Kevin?

Thanks Peter. This was my first time shooting HP5. The dilution used was “B” I.e 1+31 and the Dev time was 11mins, taken from the massive dev chart, before an adjustment for rotation and temperature.

From a trip to Edinburgh this week, with a Yashicamat 124G and Ilford HP5+, which I pushed to EI1600 and developed in HC110:

What happens in the shadows?
by Kevin Allan, on Flickr

I clicked on the large version in your Flickr and it is a very detailed photograph,even the medullary rays in the oak panels are prominent.

Very nice with great natural light.(y)

Just had these photos back from Harman labs from a found film I had forgotten I'd shot, I shot 4 others which were really grainy and unimpressive which were processed by an eBay guy ! this has restored my interest in Kentmere 400 and my little Cosmic 35m and sunny 16, My first go at deliberate double exposure ( I've done quite a few accidental ones !) The outer little chaps are a representation of what I had told them to do and the inner what they wanted to do ! The camera was only propped on a wooden box so unfortunately moved a little

DOUBLE TROUBLE .JPG.JPG

Last edited:
I took out my second 'Gift' Asahi Pentax Spotmatic -F loaded with July 2004 dated BOOTS 400 that I was given when I used to get Freelance work from the Yellow Advertiser Newspaper before that went all 'Digital' so it WAS 'FRESH' ! I have renewed the foam light seal strips and lubricated the cogs and pivots in the base-plate. The 1/1000th is not accurate -- all tests with it came out almost blank and under-exposed. I think the 1/500th is running 'fast as well.

My huge Old Style 35mm f2 Super-Takumar
More tests from my 'Gift' Spotmatic-F by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Snap with the 105mm f2.8 Super -Takumar which came with gift camera.
On the gate of the Brentwood Post Sorting Office -- 105mm f2.8 Super-Takumar 1/500th @ f6.3 -- 'thin' negative
wet Spring Flowers with the SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 at full aperture -- 1/250th @ f1.4 to see the 'Bokeh' ( whatever THAT is -- !! )

Just had these photos back from Harman labs from a found film I had forgotten I'd shot, I shot 4 others which were really grainy and unimpressive which were processed by an eBay guy ! this has restored my interest in Kentmere 400 and my little Cosmic 35m and sunny 16, My first go at deliberate double exposure ( I've done quite a few accidental ones !) The outer little chaps are a representation of what I had told them to do and the inner what they wanted to do ! The camera was only propped on a wooden box so unfortunately moved a little

View attachment 239099

I really like that, Brad. It almost helps that the camera moved, makes it clear what's going on. The little imps are great. The only issue that I can see is that the head of the boy on the left is overcome by the window behind; if he'd been in front of a dark area, lie the girl on the right, it might have worked a bit better... OTOH, maybe that transparency is also part of what lends this shot its charm?

What EI (or compensation) did you use, compared to the ISO of the film?

It was a completely spur of the moment shot really with not a lot of planning Chris, I halved the exposure (which was a sunny 16 educated guess) and of course took it twice
I agree with what you say about Georges head (boy on the left) he looks quite ghostly and I also didn't space them well enough on the right which meant they overlap rather than looking more like 4 Boys (the one on the right is a boy but everyone always thinks he's a girl !). I think with a bit more planning, the use of a tripod and making sure the back ground is a little more suitable I could have some real fun with this camera. I've learnt a lot from just this one shot !

Last edited:
I brought 5 rolls of Kentmere 400 Sirch/Chris 4 of which I got a eBay guy to develop, they we really grainy and looked pretty naff this roll I hadn't finished at the time and then forgot about it. When I did find it I thought I would give it one more try and send this last roll off to Harmens own lab ( after all they should be the best at developing their own film !) and I have been really surprised. May be it's the case that you have to get the processing spot on to get the best from it ! Does anyone know if that's the case as I am about to start having a go at processing my self.

Last edited:
C_1V-02-273-024.jpg

(Kodak Portra 400)

I brought 5 rolls of Kentmere 400 Sirch/Chris 4 of which I got a eBay guy to develop, they we really grainy and looked pretty naff this roll I hadn't finished at the time and then forgot about it. When I did find it I thought I would give it one more try and send this last roll off to Harmens own lab ( after all they should be the best at developing their own film !) and I have been really surprised. May be it's the case that you have to get the processing spot on to get the best from it ! Does anyone know if that's the case as I am about to start having a go at processing my self.

I find that agitation is the key, too much and you get more grain. It's why I use the Massive Dev Chart, it gives you the correct amount of agitation.

Back