Show us yer film shots then!

I don't think that I'm trying to please anyone as such…….Tbh, yesterday I preferred the 2nd version with it's subtle changes ( ie pulled more detail out of some of the shadows).
Looking at them both again this morning, I'm becoming more drawn to the original<.
If I coose to print it out, I'll probably end up printing both as phtos always look different on paper.
Obviously I'll keep whichever I find more pleasing, nonetheless I'd like to know the preference / opinon of other folk.
Thinking about it, I may have been better starting a thread in "Photos from film"...Never mind.

Hi Asha,

i'm finding it difficult to compare as there is a lot of scrolling involved on this thread! Could you post a side by side to make it easier?

I like both TBH but I also would like to see them side by side (y)

I prefer the bottom one as the darker rendering of the photo brings out the pattern in the boulder and leads the eye to it, rather than the lighter version, where the background competes for attention.

Got my first scans for a while back yesterday. A last minute trip to Bulgaria in February after a recommendation on Instagram. Still going through the photos.
A lesson that I often have after a trip is that I should have shot more frames! Oh well, Vietnam next. I will try and do it then.

Rila, Bulgaria.
Pentax 67ii + Kodak Portra 400

Got my first scans for a while back yesterday. A last minute trip to Bulgaria in February after a recommendation on Instagram. Still going through the photos.
A lesson that I often have after a trip is that I should have shot more frames! Oh well, Vietnam next. I will try and do it then.

Rila, Bulgaria.
Pentax 67ii + Kodak Portra 400

Fascinated by that, Gareth. I worked in Sofia for 4 months in early 1970, and TBH it doesn't look all that different from my memory, apart from the cars! Is that the Vitosha mountains? Google Maps isn't helping me work it out!

Fascinated by that, Gareth. I worked in Sofia for 4 months in early 1970, and TBH it doesn't look all that different from my memory, apart from the cars! Is that the Vitosha mountains? Google Maps isn't helping me work it out!

Thanks Chris. This is looking towards the Rila National Park from the main road that runs through Rila. :)

Thanks Chris. This is looking towards the Rila National Park from the main road that runs through Rila. :)

Ah. We went down to the Rila monastery (black and white stripey thing) but I didn't get any shots of the village.

I really, really like that, Nige! Excellent vision and rendering.

Thanks Chris. It was a bit of a surprise to me how nicely it came out - it was one of those shots you kinda forget about (especially as it was taken on my Sure Shot, which I just take random grab shots with, so I didn't process it until a few weeks after it was taken). I'm wondering whether to get a print made. I think it might look nice on my office wall.

It's halfway up the stairs at The Hepworth Gallery, in case anyone is interested.

Yashica Mat 124 G
Kodak Ektar

I mucked up the exposure on this, and several other frames by not checking that my meter was set to the incident setting. I've lost a lot of shadow detail as a result, but the overall effect isn't bad. I's rather have exposed them properly, but I can live with the results.

FILM - Treeline
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Thanks, I really did enjoy shooting it. Like you say though, it’s a lot of cash tied into one camera...decisions!

Me : "I should sell the Xpan. It's just too much money for something I don't use often enough"

*gets scans back*

Also Me : "The XPan is amazing! Why don't I just shoot everything in that format and sell everything else?"

Repeat endlessly.

Bulgaria | Xpan | Kodak Portra 160 (why does Flickr upload compression seem to completely kill the sharpness?!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Me : "I should sell the Xpan. It's just too much money for something I don't use often enough"

*gets scans back*

Also Me : "The XPan is amazing! Why don't I just shoot everything in that format and sell everything else?"

Repeat endlessly.

Bulgaria | Xpan | Kodak Portra 160 (why does Flickr upload compression seem to completely kill the sharpness?!)

I really love this one Gareth, those golden colours look awesome with Portra. It's like this scene was made for the Xpan too!

One from the new Autocord. Fuji Pro 400H.

London phone box, near Parliament Square.

F209S06.jpg

Red and Blue

*gets scans back*

Repeat endlessly.

That's a perfect example of where the XPan delivers a result like no other (35mm at least) camera does. Personally, my only concern would be having the cash tied up into a camera that needs a very specific subject to properly shine, although when it has the right subject it's awesome!

That's a perfect example of where the XPan delivers a result like no other (35mm at least) camera does. Personally, my only concern would be having the cash tied up into a camera that needs a very specific subject to properly shine, although when it has the right subject it's awesome!

Very kind Steve, thank you .

Visited friends of Wife in Wickford, Essex ( UK) - Wife there is a fellow Filipina. Son is engaged to a nice Filipina girl - I am doing their wedding in July so I did a few available light Portraits in conservatory using my 'Gift' Vivitar Series 1 zoom 70-210mm f2.8-4 and i also took a Statue in the garden at full aperture.
Camera was my Chinon CG-5 + 2007 dated Fuji Acros which I processed in my Home-made Crawley Formula FX-4 1+1 for 7 mins @ 20oC.
CG-5 Acros 01.jpgCG-5 Acros 09.jpgCG-5 Acros 10.jpg

Back