Show us yer film shots then!

Some cracking results with this Velvia 100. This is what makes me want to shoot more slide myself.

Thanks Gareth. Of all the slide film I've tried so far, this roll of Velvia 100 has been the most impressive, and it's also the one I've managed to get scans of which most closely replicate the images on the transparencies.

The roll only cost me £1.04 plus postage too! It was on eBay as expired and only one other person bid. TBH I suspect it was probably quite fresh - it wasn't boxed so I have no way of knowing.

I've bought four more rolls of the same film from another seller, albeit these cost me around £8 each and are dated 2010/11, so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with those.

Well the first of my now and then shots, I won't show them all at once as I don't want you to fall asleep.

Spotmatic, Vista and Pentax 35mm and had to brighten the shadow area
vsijeoD.jpg

5dILiqR.jpg

...and another one, it's difficult to match those old lenses and maybe I should try a tele lenses.

SRzRWJp.jpg

qbGJthV.jpg
Perhaps a suitable zoom range would be the most practical solution... together with a packed lunch and some ginger beer while you spend the time working out, via trial and error, where the original photographer stood (height and angle) and the focal length of the lens they employed for the film format they used?

That's not as easy a task as the uninitiated may first assume! The subsequent demise of significant landmarks such as the row of English elm trees in the background of that first shot can also play havoc when trying to recreate an image.

That's the thing that gets me... if, in real life, it's so damned hard to replicate a historic photograph with a passable degree of exactitude, how come there are so many modern landscape photos of places like Glencoe that look exactly the bloody same? :)

Last edited:
Well I've learnt the pros (and rich amatuers) had a choice of cameras from about 1900 + and they look more useful compared what most people think of olde worlde cameras would look like. erm if only I had the original negs................
1/4 plate guys here you go http://licm.org.uk/livingImage/Sanderson-A.html

that look exactly the bloody same

Many years before the internet I used to take shots of buildings e.g. London, but wouldn't do it now unless I knew that building or area was going to be rebuilt for a now and then...... my view is:- why take a shot of say Tower bridge when there are 100's of better shots on the net, same for all tourist spots in other cities.
But in saying above we all take shots on holiday of a beach, scenery etc just to remind us of that time.

Last edited:
Organised a coach trip to Bourton-on-the-Water Gloucestershire ( ENGLAND) for a few members of Brentwood Photographic Club. We 'Braved' Storm Francis all the way Westwards -- as we arrived it cleared up a bit and there were a few 'Glimmers of SUNSHINE' -- on the way back EASTWARDS we caught up with Storm Francis again !! I took two Old Folders -- here are a few from my 1956 AGFA ISOLETTE III with 75mm f3.5 SOLINAR lens on 02/2013 dated FUJI Superia 400 -- many were spoiled due to 'flare' so not shown.
Fuji 400 Bourton 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Fuji 400 Bourton 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Fuji 400 Bourton 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Here are a couple on my 1930's VOIGTLANDER 'BESSA' with un-coated 'Voigtar' lens and 2013 dated Foma Pan 400 -- there was some 'haze' under front element I cleaned out later
Foma Pan 400 Bourton 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Foma Pan 400 Bourton 03 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Horseman 760 with Schneider Tele-Xenar 180/5.6
Not very out-of-date Fujicolor Pro 400H (current price £11/roll, OMG!), a great colour film

Still life with black grapes
1533_003 copy.jpg
Red, gold and black roses
1534_001 copy.jpg
Scanned at 2400 piglets per Inca on an Epson V700 using EpsonScan

Last edited:
Fuji GW690
Fujicolor Pro 400H
Note the vignette due to the too-small lens hood. I've ordered a wide angle replacement.
This camera has a seriously sharp lens.
Also scanned at 2400 piglets per Inca on an Epson V700 using EpsonScan
Morecambe
1531_003 copy.jpg1531_005 copy.jpg
1531_008.jpg

Last edited:
That is the 'Best Lens' in the Agfa range -- a 4 element 'Tessar' construction just as sharp as a Rollei lens ! I was very lucky to be given it by a Widow Lady member of Brentwood Photographic Club who has given me loads of stuff since her Husband ( who was also a Member) died in 1993. I had to take lens apart as focus got 'stuck' then haze inside and I was lucky enough to get the 'Multiple Start Thread' in the correct position again !

Well this need redoing when I get around to it as the fancy brickwork at the end of sir William Nicholson's house and roof, on the right, are wrong....I reckon the photographer used a longer lens and was a dwarf o_O
b2gZAoM.jpg

I9zIbY9.jpg

Last edited:
I used to visit this place, Bennett's of Sheffield, a lot decades ago when I was young and used to go fishing. It's been closed ten years now but the old store frontage remains, gradually fading away.

Olympus OM-2n
Zuiko Auto-S 50mm f/1.8
Fujichrome Velvia 100

Bennets
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here are a few more from me. The skater image was taken with my Sigma 100-400 telephoto and the street drummer was taken with my 50mm F/ 1.8 (Nifty Fifty) Camera used was my canon EOS 500N that I got given for free and the film used was Kodak Colorplus 200.

Attachments

• Photo05_5.jpg
    Photo05_5.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 19
  • Photo24_24.jpg
    Photo24_24.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
This image was taken on another free camera. This time my Praktica BX20. I have been having issue with this cameras light meter not working. Originally I thought it was the Pentacon 50mm lens to blame as my 28mm and my 200mm lenses where working correctly. Now all the lenses aren't working with the light meter so I am having to use it manually. (any ideas on how to repair this would be great. Anyways heres an image of one of the buses I drive (notts bus driver) This camera produces a very vintage looking yellowed image I love it.

Attachments

• img06032020_016.jpg
    img06032020_016.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 18
This image was taken on another free camera. This time my Praktica BX20. I have been having issue with this cameras light meter not working. Originally I thought it was the Pentacon 50mm lens to blame as my 28mm and my 200mm lenses where working correctly. Now all the lenses aren't working with the light meter so I am having to use it manually. (any ideas on how to repair this would be great. Anyways heres an image of one of the buses I drive (notts bus driver) This camera produces a very vintage looking yellowed image I love it.

Battery?

No the battery is brand new. It looses connection to the lens. If I wiggle the lenses about on the mount it'll get a connection and the light meter will start to read correctly again. I have tried cleaning the connectors on both the mount and all the lenses to no avail. When the connection stops working the UNDER led flashes in the viewfinder and the camera defaults to 1/1000 shutterspeed.

No the battery is brand new. It looses connection to the lens. If I wiggle the lenses about on the mount it'll get a connection and the light meter will start to read correctly again. I have tried cleaning the connectors on both the mount and all the lenses to no avail. When the connection stops working the UNDER led flashes in the viewfinder and the camera defaults to 1/1000 shutterspeed.
H'mm tricky problem to find a dry joint or whatever.....I've only got the BC1 model anyway got it out of the cupboard and the battery is flat and with just the default speed. :(

H'mm tricky problem to find a dry joint or whatever.....I've only got the BC1 model anyway got it out of the cupboard and the battery is flat and with just the default speed. :(
I feel its a dry joint that needs resoldering too I'm just not confident in taking it apart.

I have recently been GIVEN a Praktica BX20 with 50mm f1.8 Prakitcar lens - very clean except for some 'Grit' in Filter threads which I have cleaned out .
Praktica BX20.JPG

I have recently been GIVEN a Praktica BX20 with 50mm f1.8 Prakitcar lens - very clean except for some 'Grit' in Filter threads which I have cleaned out .
View attachment 291401
I love mine its one hell a of a noisey thing haha. Just wish I could sort the light meter issue out.

Finally managed a few days holiday in Lochinver a couple of weeks ago, so here are a couple of shots from Glencanisp.

#1 Ensign Selfix 16-20, Pro 400H & Filmdev

Glen Loch wide by Northsnapper, on Flickr

#2 As above, but closer shot

Glen Loch close by Northsnapper, on Flickr

#3 Mono version on Ensign Selfix 820, 2011 Acros in HC-110.

Glen Loch mono by Northsnapper, on Flickr

These are really nice, Peter. I especially like the first and last. So glad to see some of your work again.

The compositions work really nicely, and I'm eternally jealous of the location as well. I've been wanting to get to this area near Suilven for years now.

Thanks @Woodsy. My photographic highpoint for this year was to have been a 1 day Masterclass there with Joe Cornish on 1 May, but it was cancelled due to Covid. :crying: Hopefully it will run next year instead, as I'd really appreciate learning how he sees and interprets landscapes that I've shot over the years.

Thanks @Woodsy. My photographic highpoint for this year was to have been a 1 day Masterclass there with Joe Cornish on 1 May, but it was cancelled due to Covid. :crying: Hopefully it will run next year instead, as I'd really appreciate learning how he sees and interprets landscapes that I've shot over the years.

Here's hoping indeed! It'll be a good opportunity to get that Ebony out and about again!

Here's hoping indeed! It'll be a good opportunity to get that Ebony out and about again!
I had intended to shoot the day digitally and then reshoot with the Ebony and MF over the following few days, but not to be. Here's a 5x4 shot from there when I had the Gandolfi, and I'm still using the 2005 Acros Quickloads. ;)

Loch Druim Suardalain by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Attachments

• Photo25_24.jpg
    Photo25_24.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo04_5A.jpg
    Photo04_5A.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 17
  • R1-06920-0022.JPG
    R1-06920-0022.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Photo22_21.jpg
    Photo22_21.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Photo23_22.jpg
    Photo23_22.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I had intended to shoot the day digitally and then reshoot with the Ebony and MF over the following few days, but not to be. Here's a 5x4 shot from there when I had the Gandolfi, and I'm still using the 2005 Acros Quickloads. ;)

Loch Druim Suardalain by Northsnapper, on Flickr

Ohh Acros.... :love::love::love:

Loving that photograph. Really like the way the drop in brightness due to the reflection adds contrast, and also that the trees don't break the horizon. Spot on :)

Back