Show us yer film shots then!

How do you find the Minox @Peter B ? I've fancied one for a while now...
It's very pocketable and it takes a decent photo Ian, so it's a go-to for when you might just find something to photograph when you're out and about. The auto exposure is aperture priority and has a decent range, but doesn't offer much control except for a backlight switch which doubles the exposure, or by changing the iso. It's not DX coded, so handy for your handrolled film? I've rediscovered mine in the past couple of years and have slipped it in alongside the Rolleicord and the Selfixes as it takes up so little space. Beware of daft prices and possible battery adapter issues, though.

This was another potential Vintage shot as the Severn class lifeboat is now 25 years old. It has been such a successful design that the RNLI will refurbish them to last another 25 years. You can click through to Flickr for a bigger version to get a better idea of the detail.

Severns at Lochinver by Northsnapper, on Flickr

How do you find the Minox @Peter B ? I've fancied one for a while now...

I had one years ago and to be fair it's not a bad litle number.
As Peter says, ver pocketable and simple to use.
A battery modification was need iirc but simple to do.

I took a gamble on taking mine as my only kit on a weekend break to Liverpool to see family .....I was pleasantly surprised by the results and printed postacard size they were spot on.
Wether a good A4 print would be possible I don't know as I never attempted to produce one.
All in all for a small, easliy transportable 35mm camera for everyday / family snapshots, I would recommend a Minox 35

H'mm what a horrible name for a camera i.e. Lipca Rollop, I thought it was an anagram or spelt backwards at first for a joke....sales dept should have been sacked for agreeing to the name.....well ok it might sound great in a foreign country other than UK.

H'mm what a horrible name for a camera i.e. Lipca Rollop, I thought it was an anagram or spelt backwards at first for a joke....sales dept should have been sacked for agreeing to the name.....well ok it might sound great in a foreign country other than UK.

Which foreign country I wonder.

Tbh Bri, I was thinking similar but didn't wish to offend ( the camera or Nige) by mentioning anything....I just knew that you would come along and do that on my behalf!;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Probably the last of my recent efforts to go back through all my unedited/poorly edited photos from recent years and have another go at them.

Like the last one, this is from Petworth Park, and was taken on the 645 Super with expired E100S. Thoughts welcome as always :)

Golden Autumn by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

I think you really decided to test your metering skills with that scene and expired reversal film! It's turned out pretty well though. The highlights are blown, but I don't think it detracts.

I think you really decided to test your metering skills with that scene and expired reversal film! It's turned out pretty well though. The highlights are blown, but I don't think it detracts.
The highlights are blown pretty much where they would be with eye-sight, but OMG there's DETAIL IN THAT SILHOUETTED TREE BARK! It's worked extremely well, Jonathan.

The highlights are blown pretty much where they would be with eye-sight, but OMG there's DETAIL IN THAT SILHOUETTED TREE BARK! It's worked extremely well, Jonathan.

Thanks chaps, appreciate the comments :)

Yep, the highlights in the sky are indeed gone. I felt that this was an inevitability though, given that I was shooting into the sun. As @ChrisR mentioned though, there was no detail here really anyway. I forget exactly how and where I metered from with this photo though, as it was taken a few years ago now, but I vaguely recall my main aim being to keep the bright leaves inside the dynamic range and, if possible, the tree in the foreground as well. The 645 Super only had half stops on the aperture though, so I feel there was an element of luck in there as well :)

In an effort to try something different, I bought a roll of Kosmo Foto Mono and ran it through the Rolleicord. While there's some info on developing the 35mm version, I could find little about the 120 so just used the same 5.5 mins in HC-110 Dil B. (HC-110 is NOT recommended on the Kosmo Photo website, but it's what I'm using recently) The first couple are of the yacht Fair Lady which I found on the Caledonian canal, fresh from a charter off the Highlands. The hull is cream rather than white, and it looks well worth the £56k/week starting price for a charter if we win the lottery. ;) The film itself is a rebadged Fomapan costing about £2 more than Fomapan 100, so not worth the premium for my taste, although YMMV.
img418-copy-flickr-tp.jpg

img417-copy-flickr-copy-tp.jpg

Quinag, Assynt, full sun

img420-copy-flickr-copy-tp.jpg

Glen Canisp, Assynt, pale watery sun

img428-copy-flickr-tp.jpg

A picture of my little brother when he was unaware. I always find you get better results when you take a shot of someone unaware as you get a more natural facial expression. This was taken on my EOS 500N using Kodak Colorplus 200. I had the film developed at MAX Speilman (never ever again) and scanned the prints in myself.

Attachments

• img07252020_037.jpg
    img07252020_037.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 22
I deliberately stayed out of the Holga thread from a few weeks ago, although it did cause me to wonder if my pinhole and disposable shots were really a similar idea. Cue the charity shop purchase of a basic Holga 120N, taken out to Cromarty in the sun yesterday to shoot a roll of 2012 HP5+ devved in HC-110 Dil B. I'm not convinced, but might run another film through it before deciding. :thinking:

#1 Ship graveyard

img434-copy-tp.jpg

#2 Cromarty beach fishing

img436-copy-tp.jpg

#3 Cromarty beach relaxing

img437-copy-tp2.jpg

#4 Gable ends to the sea

img444-copy-tp.jpg

Real Photographers use a Holga or is that idiots ? I can never remember ! I find the Holga generally does better on relatively close simple shots where the subject fills the frame rather than Landscape photos with multiple points of interest.

Last edited:
Well, two rolls of Kodak Gold 200 have gone off to AG Photolab today, and that's the first film I've sent off for what seems like ages. Lockdown certainly hampered my photography hobby, and a lack of spare time since things were eased off a bit hasn't helped either. This pause did give me chance to send my Canon A1 off for a service, and a recent TP forum thread about 'your most significant cameras' reminded me that I'd not run a film through my Pentacon Pentina 35mm SLR (my first proper camera) for about 5 years. So fingers crossed that both cameras have worked OK, and hopefully I'll soon be boring you all with some more of my rubbish when the 'test film' negatives come back! :)

Last edited:
H'mm have you forgot Photoshop would remove the house ;)

That's true, but I don't tend to edit things like that out of photos. Maybe if I wanted to enter it in a comp, but as my own record of the scene I like to leave things as they were. I could have removed it in camera by getting lower to the ground when making the shot, but the grass was damp and I was on the outbound part of a day out. :)

Back