Show us yer film shots then!

I guess that's what you get for shooting near the water! Are they seagulls or common gulls? I was once chastised by a 9 year old for misnaming them so I've taken to calling them BayGulls :D

Breakfast or Lunch? :naughty:

This is one from my second ever roll of FP4 and I'm just not sure it's for me. I seem to like HP5 more so I'll probably stick to shooting that for the time being. I've recently tried Delta 400 too but despite being nice still doesn't have the same je ne sais qoui for me either, albeit it was shot in pretty boring light so I may reserve judgement on that one. I have a roll of Kentmere 400 and Foma 100 to try out soon, but I haven't shot any colour for a while and I have my first roll of ProImage 100 burning a hole in my camera bag. This one looks okay to me tone wise however it appears my calculating of hyperfocal distances may need some work :rolleyes:

G1, 45mm, FP4

Calm by Andrew Roberts, on Flickr

Last edited:
Super Baldamatic I Baldanar 3 element lens.
Fomapan 100, Rodinal (old) 1:50

A trip to the local country park to finish a film in my 1960's scale focus Balda 35mm camera. This is one of the 6 or so frames that were on the film.
It's a crop of a scene with bench and Manchester & Salford city buildings in the muggy distance.
The Rodinal gave more grain than the Ilfosol3. I like this look.
I must stop buying old (and only partly working) cameras.

benchcity2.jpg

These are just the type of shots I would imagine taking with such a camera. I have recently "borrowed" a Yashica-Mat that we bought some time ago for our daughter but she doesn't use it for various reasons. I intend to take it out loaded with Tri X for some oldy worldy shooting like this, inspired by you and others on this Forum.
Finally finished the roll of Tri-X.02-36370002 PS Adj.jpg05-36370005 PS Adj.jpg

Went on a Coach Trip to Kent & East Sussex Railway and Tenterden -- I took my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM with A16 backs .. 10/2006 dated KONICA VX400 Super in one and I got magenta areas and strange white 'Bits' in some -- due to the C41 BLEACH being finally exhausted -- now I cannot source another 5 Litre C41 Bleach as 'out of Stock' !
Railway Trip 08.jpgRailway Trip 09.jpgRailway Trip 10.jpgRailway Trip 11.jpgRailway Trip 13.jpg

Probably took the shot in 1979 or 1980?

scanned from the original

Canon A1

TP_Hovercraft.jpg

Fujica GW690
Ilford HP5+
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 9mins @ 20°

Rainy-day back-streets by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Just started reading your blog fishyfish - I started work in Sheffield in Sept 1965 and spent 8 years working mainly on steel company audits, then I moved to Doncaster to work for British Ropes, (Bridon), for another 8 years - wish I'd taken lots of shots especially inside the steel works as I realise now how interesting they would have been.

Thanks for your comment on the Hovercraft image - or Hoovercraft as a friend's mother used to call them!!

Remind you of your first blog post

TP_Trip_35.jpg

but with the metal shutter button - I bought it in 1973 and still have it

Last edited:
Can I ask how you are digitising these?
For 'Medium Format Negs or Slides' I use a CANON 9000F Mk II Flatbed scanner + Vuescan Pro + FastStone Image Viewer to adjust scan colours if necessary , re-size down a but and gentle 'Sharpen' with ' Unsharp mask' in FastStone Image Viewer. I also have 'PhotoShop 7' but don't use it so much. I then 'SAVE' in my folder 'Hasselblad Photos'

Just started reading your blog fishyfish - I started work in Sheffield in Sept 1965 and spent 8 years working mainly on steel company audits, then I moved to Doncaster to work for British Ropes, (Bridon), for another 8 years - wish I'd taken lots of shots especially inside the steel works as I realise now how interesting they would have been.

Thanks for your comment on the Hovercraft image - or Hoovercraft as a friend's mother used to call them!!

Remind you of your first blog post

TP_Trip_35.jpg

but with the metal shutter button - I bought it in 1973 and still have it

A few years (and over a thousand posts ago), but, yes, I still remember that. :)

I have a silver button Trip 35 too - it was my dad's originally, but the meter (or the mechanism) has failed and the red-flad no longer pops up and locks the shutter for under or overexposure. I've not shot the working one for a while (and it's now got a bit of competition from the similarly-specced Olympus XA3 I acquired recently).

Sheffield has changed a whole lot in the last four decades, and most of the heavy steel industry is no more. My dad and grandad both worked in the steel business but I don't think either of them made any photographs. I guess, like for most people, the camera was something that came out at Christmas, birthdays, holidays and other special occasions, and the idea of taking photos of the places they worked would probably have seemed odd. The wisdom of hindsight, eh?

Back