Show us yer film shots then!

On top of the comments by @FishyFish on the particular film/developer combo, I would add that in my experience, most scanned 400ISO films show extremely fine grain in 6x6 and above formats unless underexposed or overdeveloped or both. Underexposure and overdevelopment can, when scanning negatives, enhance grain or result in artefacts that visually approximate excessive grain

Another culprit is often oversharpening - sometimes Noritsu/Frontier scanner software as well as Silverfast etc automatically apply liberal amounts of sharpening to the scans that increase perceived grain.
Not only Silverfast but Epson Scan over sharpen by default. Epson Scan is set automatically to 'medium' sharpening ('medium' my a***!) when you open it up. I've tried hacking the registry to set the default to 'low', at least that is better to have than 'medium', that approach doesn't work so I have to remind myself to switch sharpening off before each scan, I'll sharpen in Photoshop/Lightroom if necessary. Any Epson Scan sharpening is crude and ruins high speed black and white scans in particular, as it tends to enhance the sharpness of the grain.

Of course Epson Scan's user interface is rubbish. I use it because it still works for me despite its shortcomings.

I was wondering why the sky is blue. Is it because of the yellow filter? Lovely image

Yep. Agfa Aviphot Pan. Also marketed as Rollei Retro 400S or Rollei Superpan 200 (as I'm sure you know already).

I didn't know that. Obviously lots of films get re-badged and sold under different names - many of which I'm aware of - but I didn't know that those two were the same stock as JCH Streetpan.

Looking at my own photos taken with both Rollei Retro 400S and Superpan, I can see the similarity. I think they are films that work best in good light.

Yep. Agfa Aviphot Pan. Also marketed as Rollei Retro 400S or Rollei Superpan 200 (as I'm sure you know already).
The JCH website states that it isn't respooled Rollei Retro 400S, which would seem to tie in with the Rollei being half the price (£7.50) of a roll of 120 JCH Streetpan 400 (£15) on the Analogue Wonderland site. And I was about to order some of the Streetpan until I saw the price .................. o_O

Thanks @Peter B , I stand corrected then. I was basing my claim on a number of photrio threads in which Adox had chipped in suggesting that, at least during early runs, they were the same thing eg

or also

But it might well be that what's in those boxes is bound to change with time & availability.

Last edited:
I don't mind the pole - this sort of street-furniture adds interest, I think. It's positioning is slightly awkward, but nothing can be done about that.
I did not mean to be rude.
But to me it confuses the time period for the picture.
I meant no offence.
Sorry.

I did not mean to be rude.
But to me it confuses the time period for the picture.
I meant no offence.
Sorry.
No worries Tony - I didn't think you were being rude at all and I'm sorry if my reply made you think I did. It certainly wasn't my intent. :)

For me it's a picture of an interesting looking customised classic car in a nice setting in a modern time period. I know that some photographers like to evoke a period setting with such subjects, but I'm fine with these things being contemporary.

Nikon FE / Nikkor Ai-S 50mm f/2 Fomapan 100 in D76 1:1. Negative scan

nCkjgOQ.jpg

Last edited:
Great to see some mist. We have a forecast for mist on Tuesday - hope that works out and I'll be down in the woods.

That's old mist - I think I made that photo in January last. But autumn seems to be coming early this year, the trees are turning already.

You are doing justice to Ektar.
My hat's off to you.
Thanks Tony. I think the colours on this roll are a bit off - I've had to mess with them much more than usual in Negative Lab Pro to get them to look right, so I'm happy you thing they look ok.
I was starting to think I'd somehow messed up my scanner settings or something, so re-scanned a shot from another roll, but that was perfectly fine. I'm guessing this roll has either not been stored well or I somehow messed it up when shooting (maybe underexposing or something).

Back