Other Macro Show us your macro rig

Forgive the ignorance of a nooby, but I have seen your post and tried to imitate it as close as I could by reverse mounting my kit lens, the only problem I have now is that the camera (D60) advises me I have no l;ens fitted and will not allow me to take a shot. Can you pls point me in the right direction??

Probably in one of the menus - there is a check for a lens - just turn it off.

My lens is a Sigma 105mm f2.8 EX macro, a true 1 to 1 lens -

I would suggest this, unless you want a Canon? they have a nice 100mm f2.8, Ive never used this lens but have heard good things about them
all down to budget I guess!

Les

I will have a google on the Canon 100mm lens as I think this should be easier to purchase.

edit. I have seen a EF 100mm for sale for £100 !
Is that a deal ?

Many thanks

Last edited:
Tysonator said:
I will have a google on the Canon 100mm lens as I think this should be easier to purchase.

edit. I have seen a EF 100mm for sale for £100 !
Is that a deal ?

Many thanks

That is too cheap. Are you sure it is the 100mm f2.8 macro?

(y)
Hi,

yepp is it F2.8 Macro.

However the shop had the wrong sale ticket on it, it was actually £375 for a used lens ! !

Look out for a 2nd hand lens would be my advise- or dig deep and buy new :LOL:

Les (y)

here's my current setup. 50d, 100mm macro, 3 kenkos, 430exii, jessops flash bracket on bottom, bendy arm thingy and a homemade beer can diffuser.

5878326738_bec91b94f9_z.jpg

ziggy©;3757155 said:
Where can i find a bracket like that one?

I think this is the set up I will go for. At present I am using my EX580 MkII as off camera flash ( hand held normally ) is triggered by my wireless function from my EOS 7D.

Now an extendable boom arm will really help ! (y)

Here is my latest efforts although I have been experimenting lately with vellum paper which it great.
Fong puffers on the heads and a corner of an ice cream tub held in place with velcro. Works quit well and is pretty tidy for me.. :D

5880801802_ef275043d1_o.jpg

Here is my latest efforts although I have been experimenting lately with vellum paper which it great.
Fong puffers on the heads and a corner of an ice cream tub held in place with velcro. Works quit well and is pretty tidy for me.. :D

5880801802_ef275043d1_o.jpg

Alby Is that a lens hood on the MP-e :thinking: - dose it make a difference ?

Alby Is that a lens hood on the MP-e :thinking: - dose it make a difference ?

I am using it because I was getting some light blooming on the lens from some of my diffuser contraptions I have been making and yes I like to leave it on now as it is a bit of added protection too. It attaches to the flash ring and so I use it with the 105 and 50 marco lenses too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using it because I was getting some light blooming on the lens from some of my diffuser contraptions I have been making and yes I like to leave it on now as it is a bit of added protection too.

Is it a Canon one or a 3rd party one -

This is my budget set up, simple but not bad atall, shame the same cant be said for the steadyness of my hands! im still getting used to the DoF and focus on this but its light and portable, it just needs a larger diffuser on the end really so thats something il remedy in the next day or two.

Helios 58mm f2 with 65mm tubes.

Cost......£5 for the tubes, £2 for the m42/eos adapter, the flash tube thing....priceless! ;)

014.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
I want to buy the Nikon 105mm f2.8 AFS micro but since I will be upgrading to the next version of the Nikon FX body not sure it it willbe compatable with the bigger sensor?
Also I have been looking at the various off the shelf kits and was wondering if the flash ring is better than the say R1C1 setup..... To me the ring type looks like the best option but the other type is twice the cost which tells me I am missing something here??

Last edited:
I want to buy the Nikon 105mm f2.8 AFS micro but since I will be upgrading to the next version of the Nikon FX body not sure it it willbe compatable with the bigger sensor?
Also I have been looking at the various off the shelf kits and was wondering if the flash ring is better than the say R1C1 setup..... To me the ring type looks like the best option but the other type is twice the cost which tells me I am missing something here??

The 105 will be fine on full frame. The biggest problem with ringflashes are that they can give a flat light and some are only 1 tube so can not adjust lighting as easily as the R1C1. The R1C1 flashes can also be used for other uses and small fill flashes off camera.

No problem Neil, The 105 is an awesome lens as is the R1 or R1C1 macro flash kit.

Some brilliant set ups here! I've just recently started getting a bit more involved with the macro (bug) side of things.

I currently my set up is -

- Canon 450D
- 60mm Canon macro
- Full set of Kenko extension tubes (68mm)
- Jessops flash, attached with SpeedGraphic flexible arm
- Cardboard/milk bottle diffusers

5912312351_37bb012074_z.jpg

Took this today with this set up...

Resting Moth by AshMashMash, on Flickr

forgive me for the dumb question, but if you reverse your lens it's not permanent is it? ie I can carry on using my lens as normal afterwards...

Also, is reversing one lens onto another just a case of trial and error to find a good combination?

My current rig (part of). RRS TVC 33 + BH-55 LR, + Dual B150-B Rails + 1Ds MKIII + MP-E 65 .
macrorig.jpg

TooK this today with the above rig minus MP-E 65... I used the EF 100 macro instead. Also, no flash used.

_B1R9430.jpg

Can I ask what it cost to import the rails?
I had a big order which came to some $4600 and I paid £700 :puke: :thumbsdown: Import duty and Tax once it got here. Hope that helps.

I had a big order which came to some $4600 and I paid £700 :puke: :thumbsdown: Import duty and Tax once it got here. Hope that helps.

Blimey, £700 just for the rails :eek: - maybe I'll find a cheaper option. RRS do make darned good stuff though!

Thanks Ivan.

I have this - it seems quite dull compared to the other setups!

6084888923_75bc6a33d6_o_d.jpg

i've just ordered a focus rail too. moving tripods fractions of a mm is getting irritating fast !

This is my setup, not as fancy as most of yours but does the trick.

DSCN0010_1414.jpg

DSCN0009_1413.jpg

only use bracket with tubes otherwise mount flash on camera

Back