Shutter repair recommendation - epsilon shutter assembly on folding 6x9

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a GORGEOUS Ensign 6x9/6x6 camera that is... Quite old.

It works, even the shutter timing sounds about right down to 1/25th second (top speed a whopping 1/150th!) and is fitted with a folding 105mm f4.5 lens. Sadly, the 6x6 mask has long since disappeared (unless I'm missing a key function!) and the red light guards have broken off, so film needs loading in a very dark room...

Anyway, I fancy taking it out for a spin, but there is an issue that has plagued it since being in my ownership - when the shutter is cocked, the lever to cock the shutter moves back a few mm and the shutter leaves open slightly. If I hold the shutter lever in place, this won't happen, but obviously makes taking photos hard.

Is this a user-possible repair, or do I need to seek the guidance of a vintage camera wizard? Photo below with shutter cocked - you can see the leaves are slightly parted.

2022_0313_21103400.jpg

No one knows of an old school shutter repair person?

I imagine it's perfectly fixable... Perhaps I can have a go, maybe find another one to play with first.

If all else fails:

From what I just read, there are other shutters that are interchangeable with it, so a donor might be possible. Otherwise, I'd simply suggest contacting camera service companies. This type of shutter is fitted to LF lenses, but the only people that spring to mind are located in the US.

Back