Sigma 120-400 OS

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone used one? has one?

im seriously thinking of adding a sigma 120-400mm os to my kit.

my longest lens i have is a 80-200 afd and im hankering for more length.

am i making the right choice? should i maybe be looking at something else.

on only a 6-700 quid budget cause im getting a d300 and a few excesories too with a budget of 2k!

I'm kinda toying with the idea of this or the 150-500mm OS... I reckon the 120-400mm will be sharper, but that extra reach could be nice. Can't seem to find much on tinternet either, so if anyone has links please offer them up! :)

I have oneand it is a brilliant lens as soon as I am on a proper pc I will post some pictures from it. Jeff

Have to say I am also interested in this lens but not enough info/reviews around to make an informed decision yet (pics on Flickr are not particularly large to be able to do 100% crops at 400mm to see how soft it goes either so any actual shots with a 100% crop would be fab if someone could post them?

Also actually finding one is a bit of a challenge, appears canon mount is about for around £530 but Nikon only at £579 :eek: so if anyone knows a cheaper source that would be cool too?

I saw a 500mm shot of a seagull that was just as good as that too... trouble is, they vary so much it seems. I want one though.

Cheeky bods at onestop!!! I mailed them yesterday night to see whether they had stock showing and received an email this am saying yes and would be sent today if I ordered so I went to the webpage that was still open on my PC and guess what they have upped the price by £20!!!!!!!

Many Sigma lenses have gone up in price at OneStop. I check their site daily without fail and have noticed a price hike with the 30 f1.4 :(.

They just replied (pretty quick!!) to say the STG/HK$ exch rate has meant they needed to increase the price. I know it sounds a bit tight but saving £100 on the UK price made me think it was worth the saving but now down to £80 plus the potential for VAT reclaim etc. if it gets caught through fedex delivery and the possible problems if the lens is soft and having to return to HK I think I might not risk £500 + this time round until the lens is a bit more tried and tested

I got one of these on my Nikon D60 and it appears to work well. I am no expert at taking pictures yet so it's hard to say wether it's good for what you want. I got mine from Focus on Price £539. www.focusonprice.com and the lenses are from Sigma UK.
If there is any more info you require or photo's posting I will take some to post.
Hope this is helpfull
Mike

I've just received one yesterday from devon camera center. I've not really been able to use it in anger yet outside but the build quality is excellent! When I get chance to use it in decent light i'll give more info.

Realised it was sunny outside so just grabbed a couple of shots of our dog.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

EXIF for both are identical: ISO:100, Aperture: f/10, Shutter: 1/160, focal length: 400mm

These are straight from raw - no processing, just a resize and jpg export. I'm really happy with this baby! Shows the OS works well looking at the exif ;)

Realised it was sunny outside so just grabbed a couple of shots of our dog.

IMG_5910.jpg

IMG_5911.jpg

EXIF for both are identical: ISO:100, Aperture: f/10, Shutter: 1/160, focal length: 400mm

These are straight from raw - no processing, just a resize and jpg export. I'm really happy with this baby! Shows the OS works well looking at the exif ;)

Craig, could you post 100% crops of the full size images to really show how sharp these are as they do look good at this smaller size but would like to see how good they are full size?

I've just received one yesterday from devon camera center. I've not really been able to use it in anger yet outside but the build quality is excellent! When I get chance to use it in decent light i'll give more info.

Having just seen their price (cheaper than from HK and confirmed UK model) I have decided to bite the bullet and pick one up, the way I look at it is that it is not the fastest f4-5.6 but it is no worse than the Nikon 70-300 VR I recently sold (long story) but should be pin sharp at least to around 300mm and anything above is a bonus :D

Looks like a good price, quite tempted to try this myself!

Reports on these are quite mixed.... think I'll wait for some 100% crops.

Reports on these are quite mixed.... think I'll wait for some 100% crops.

Funny that just dropped you a PM about the choice of lens :LOL: I will hopefully receive it Thursday/Friday so will get some shots up asap to see if it is as good as some of the shots suggest (or not :crying:) in which case I will just go and :annoyed: in a corner somewhere!!!!

I've seen some really good stuff from both the 100-400 and the 150-500.

TBH I'm not shooting much long stuff at the moment, so I'd probably be a bit more amenable to one of these vs a 300mm f/2.8 VR or 200-400 f/4 VR nowadays:LOL::D

On the price front, if anyone does want one for this uber cheap price (well compared to other UK prices anyway!!!) they only have one left in stock so get in quick folks ;) )

Hi,

I’m new to this forum but thought as I’ve refered to it in the past and it has influenced my buying decisions I’d let you have the ‘benefit’ of my experience.

I’ve referred to various forums over the last few months to try and get an idea of what the Sigma 150-500mm and the 120-400mm lenses are like. I’ve now finally committed and bought the 120-400 and thought I’d feedback my finding to those who may be interested. There’s a bit of a story behind this so I’ll tell you that too. I live relatively near to Warehouse Express’s showroom so am in a position to go in and try the lenses before I buy. I initially went in to try the Tokina 80-400mm mainly because it’s light and small. I took a few photos with it in WHE’s car park and bought them home to look at, the main thing that struck me was the appalling softness at f5.6, my Nikon 18-200 was actually sharper when I digitally zoomed by a factor of 2:1 to get the same equivalent length. The Tokina was somewhat better when stopped down a bit but even so I wasn’t convinced.

Anyway, I then moved on to the Sigma 120-400mm and likewise took a few photos at different apertures in the car park and took the photos home to look at. The impression I got was pretty good, not as sharp at f5.6 as at other apertures but still not bad. So I went back and bought it. Got it home and thought I’d have a more thorough look at the image quality. This is where it gets interesting, or at least I thought so. I set the lens and camera up, OS off, on my Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod with a 488RC” ball head and took some photos of a ten pound note. I used available halogen light and took photos from f5.6 right through to f29, all with shutter speeds of 1 second and slower. When I looked at the images I was dismayed to see the lens was quite soft and was at it’s sharpest at f29, I was expecting optimum sharpness at around f11. So it wasn’t looking good. I had, I should point out, made sure the lens I tested at the showroom was the same one I bought.

I had a think about it and thought maybe it was vibration that was causing the problem and that, ironically, the vibrations caused by the mirror movement were less significant on the longer shutter speeds used when at f29. So, I redid all the photos using a flash gun and the story was completely different. The lens was now, to my mind, pretty damn good at all apertures from f6.1 upwards and not bad at f5.6. I’ve attached a composite image showing the same part of the £10 note taken from wide open to fully stopped down. Interestingly diffraction doesn’t really seem to dominate until f29, I guess for the more mathematically minded that would allow you to work out the MTF50 value of the lens at wider apertures. The photos were taken on a D50 in RAW, converted using raw shooter essentials without any sharpening at any stage. It’s worth pointing out that the f5.6 image does sharpen up very well using RSE, as I’m sure you’re all aware RAW sharpening is a lot better than doing it on jpegs as you don’t tend to get the same level of artefacts. It’s also worth pointing out that the OS seems to work pretty well too, I’ve taken photos at 1/100th, 1/125th and 1/160th and seem to get about a 50% success rate at those sort of shutter speeds which I thought was pretty good. And it’s nowhere near as noisy as some people seem to think, maybe I’m lucky and got a quieter one. And on a D50 or D90 it works fine in burst mode (continuous shooting), there’s no delay between shots or anything untoward. So I guess reports of that are only the case on Canon bodies.

So in summary I reckon it’s a pretty good lens but I’ve certainly learnt to be cautious when evaluating the quality of long lenses. There are many factors that can degrade image quality, focus and vibration being two obvious ones, and that mirror lock up isn’t just a nicety when using a long lens on a tripod, it’s a necessity if you want optimum image quality, unfortunately not a feature the D50 has. I’m sure most people reading this will think I’m stating the obvious on various points but I’ve certainly found it educational. I hope the attached images give anyone thinking of buying this lens an idea of the quality it can deliver.

OK I'm sorry I have to admit defeat, I can't see how I can add an image to this post, if anyone can let me know I'll be happy to attach the comparison photos. All 100% crops obviously.

Back