Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

With regards to the weight, I see that the standard hood weighs close to 300g as its made of metal. Has anyone tried any lighter alternatives? The Nikon hk-30 hood is meant to fit and lighter as it's made of carbon fibre but it's around £200!

Has anyone gone from the 50-500 to the sports? Looking for size and weight comparison. My 50-500 has fogged up and not sure if its worth putting money towards a repair.

I have. The Sports is noticeably heavier but I mitigate that by hanging it on a strap so the only time I have the weight in my hands is when I actually use it. It's worth the effort!

I went from the 50-500mm to the Sport on my Canon. If you want something similar in size and weight then look at the C version as the sport is a fair bit bigger/heavier.
I use my 50-500 on a black rapid, I wonder if the sport would fit in my thinktank glass taxi. What's the close focus distance through the range?
I have. The Sports is noticeably heavier but I mitigate that by hanging it on a strap so the only time I have the weight in my hands is when I actually use it. It's worth the effort!

I have the glass limo and it fits with the hood still fitted ,I think you would have to park the hood to fit it in the taxi as its a bit shorter .close focus is very good at 600mm

Last edited:
one from earlier this year before my 1D3 broke .skylark head and shoulders and crest raised
crest by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Just joined the club , well worth the dock which has made a hell of a difference quick shot of a fallow deer in the forest of dean little crop but nothing else , if you crop in you can se a fly just by the right eye.BG1I0981.jpg

Hi, would some kind person be good enough to tell me how long the tripod foot is on this lens mine should be arriving tomorrow and I want to get a suitable mounting plate ordered,
thanks in advance
Regards Bob.

I bought a sport at the beginning of September and after a bit of trial and error I still wasn't achieving sharp results. A check with a Spyder lenscal showed it to be front focusing quite noticeably. So I bought a dock, which didn't recognise the lens so it went back and was replaced. The replacement still doesn't recognise the lens so the whole lot got sent back to Sigma yesterday. I find it quite annoying that focus problems are so prevalent Sigma sell a solution for the consumer to fix it themselves. For £1300 I would rather it worked out of the box, in fact if budget is that tight at Sigma I'd rather pay £1350 and it work out of the box. I don't think I'll be troubling Sigma for any more lenses....

I bought a sport at the beginning of September and after a bit of trial and error I still wasn't achieving sharp results. A check with a Spyder lenscal showed it to be front focusing quite noticeably. So I bought a dock, which didn't recognise the lens so it went back and was replaced. The replacement still doesn't recognise the lens so the whole lot got sent back to Sigma yesterday. I find it quite annoying that focus problems are so prevalent Sigma sell a solution for the consumer to fix it themselves. For £1300 I would rather it worked out of the box, in fact if budget is that tight at Sigma I'd rather pay £1350 and it work out of the box. I don't think I'll be troubling Sigma for any more lenses....

thats weird what camera if you don't mind me asking ,as i had a canon 70d that played up terribly with the lens ,but i have since used a 1D3 /1D4 / 5D / 7D / 7DMKII / and a 80D bolted straight on all these cameras with no adjustments needed at all .just a thought it could be your camera thats the problem not the lens

thats weird what camera if you don't mind me asking ,as i had a canon 70d that played up terribly with the lens ,but i have since used a 1D3 /1D4 / 5D / 7D / 7DMKII / and a 80D bolted straight on all these cameras with no adjustments needed at all .just a thought it could be your camera thats the problem not the lens
Sadly not, it front focuses with both my D500 and D700 which my Nikon lenses work perfectly with.

Does sound like a bad one then ,first I have heard of

My original sport was definitely inferior to the one I use now although I put that down to Amazon's packing rather than it coming out of the factory as such.
It might just be coincidence, but mine came from Amazon too and I was surprised to find just the Sigma box inside a bigger Amazon box with no packing or padding....

Yup that's how mine came. I know the lens is well packed in it's case/box but Amazons own effort was pretty dire. The Amazon box was also well bashed about.
Bizarre, you'd think they'd have it flagged as fragile or high value on their warehouse system? I'm starting to regret sending mine to Sigma and thinking I should have just returned it to Amazon and bought another elsewhere, but hey ho. At least Sigma are going to calibrate it as well as address the dock issue so it might all work out for the best.
A bit sickening as the buzzards were flying lower than I've seen them today and a pair of grey Heron appeared from nowhere this afternoon....

The OS on this lens never fails to impress !

This is a 100% crop with no processing. 1/100s @ 600mm hand held (iso 6400 on a 7DMkII hence the noise)

sqhand.jpg

I have started the upgrade to the new firmware and the small window shows 'Now loading' but the progress bar has stopped at around 25% of the way across and the window reports 'Not Responding' in the title bar.

Anyone else had this? A solution would be good as it's supposed to be going to Antarctica with me next week!

Mine seemed to crash a few times, I ended up rebooting the PC and using another USB port :(

and then it was sloooowwww !

So it's safe to abort the firmware upgrade part way through and restart? I'm trying to avoid creating a very expensive brick!

Back