Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

I've recently received the Sigma dock but never unboxed it yet, do you need to check for updates for the Sigma 150-600 sports lens via the dock....?

How does this work...?
When you open up the dock software and the lens it attached, it will tell you if an update is available

I have the TC MKIII, I get a "Err 01, Communication between lens and camer is faulty", so I'm still waiting for a new Sigma firmware update to resolve this.
Yes I think the mkiii has problems communicating with the Sigma lenses but for some reason the mkii is okay as the HD version of the Kenko.

When you open up the dock software and the lens it attached, it will tell you if an update is available
Yes what Robert said, it checks what version of firmware you have on the lens and offers the update if it's an earlier version.
You can also customise AF & OS settings for C1 and C2 which is really useful.

So when you attach Sigma dock into your PC will it automatically download the Sigma software needed etc....?
You need Sigma Optimisation downloading onto your computer first, it's available on the Sigma website and easy to find. Then you open this on your PC, connect the dock to the lens and PC and it will then start and tell you what version is on your lens and if there is a more up to date version available to download. If there is, it's a simple click and it transfers to your lens.
Hope this helps, it's very simple once you start.

You need Sigma Optimisation downloading onto your computer first, it's available on the Sigma website and easy to find. Then you open this on your PC, connect the dock to the lens and PC and it will then start and tell you what version is on your lens and if there is a more up to date version available to download. If there is, it's a simple click and it transfers to your lens.
Hope this helps, it's very simple once you start.
Appreciated!!

Last edited:
Just placed an order for a waterproof nylon based camouflage lens cover for the Sigma 150-600mm sport lens from Trevor at 'Camera Assessories Outdoors', £17.15 which includes free postage.

http://www.cameraaccessoriesoutdoor...00-f5-6-3-dg-os-hsm-sport?variant=14032225478
Nice shots of the Swans & Duck Peter, you seem to be getting on well with the new lens. I've not really had a chance to get out with mine much yet as it's been raining pretty much non stop today here in Norfolk but hopefully soon.

Nice shots of the Swans & Duck Peter, you seem to be getting on well with the new lens. I've not really had a chance to get out with mine much yet as it's been raining pretty much non stop today here in Norfolk but hopefully soon.
Thanks Chris, still early days with the Sigma but loving it, I use a monopod all of the time for support. We'd a lovely sunny morning here today in bonnie Scotland and from around lunchtime the weather changed to rain etc...

Any tips regards wildlife shooting from Sigma 150-600mm sport shooters would be appreciated. I've the 'L' plates still displayed.......lol

Shot this photo at 'basic jpg' setting on the Nikon D810, no editing whatsoever, SOOC, file size 5.59MB.

Looking forward to 'BSB' at Knockhill circuit towards the end of June were I'll be shooting the Siggy 150-600mm in proper sports mode.

Breia by Peter McCullough Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really have a love hate relationship with this lens as it weighs a ton to handhold, but when I can keep it steady it's great! This is an A109 at Cosford Airshow (in pretty poor light) 400mm and 1/160, many went in the digital bin to find a sharp one but I was pleased with this one.

A109 at Cosford Airshow by Matt, on Flickr

Last edited:
I really have a love hate relationship with this lens as it weighs a ton to handhold, but when I can keep it steady it's great! This is an A109 at Cosford Airshow (in pretty poor light) 400mm and 1/160, many went in the digital bin to find a sharp one but I was pleased with this one.

A109 at Cosford Airshow by Matt, on Flickr
Matt that's an awesome capture, love it.....! I agree, it can be heavy to handhold ok, I've had mine two weeks and still getting used to it, but enjoying the images it produces which is important.

:)

On the subject of t.c's and comparability ,a lot depends on camera body with the 7d2 and 80d only the canon mk2 tc works there is no forthcoming update for the mk3 ,neither will the kenko HD one work .
The kenko HD will work on the canon 1D series bodies and also allow all focus points and modes use . This has been reported back to sigma but I think they would rather sell there own t.c's.
I have a friend buying a sigma one today to use with a 7d2 so will update accordingly .

Btw I tried my kenko HD on the canon 400 f5.6 and it allows all focus points and modes use ,rather than just centre point as with the canon t.c's

Another point of interest to new owners ,I learnt the hard way the best way to carry this lens is with a black rapid strap it takes away the weight problems so your ready to use it at any time ,I have also modified a long length arca plate to accept ocean Pacific clip connectors as I found the dome type ones had a tendency to get in the way and also unscrew ,one lucky close escape was enough for me

I have taken the plunge and purchased one of these beasts along with the tc from Park Cameras on Saturday at a great price. Also got a 7D2 and can confirm that the tc does work with the7D2

Gonna be using this lens at the 'BSB' races this weekend at Knockhill, apart from selecting AF-C on the Nikon D810 for sports photography, which 'focus tracking' mode would anyone suggest please for capturing motorcycle racing ?

Any advice/experience appreciated.

I leave mine set on mode 2 ,doesn't seem to make a lot of difference ,and even when on tripod I never turn it off

So thanks to Wolfy I've junked the Sigmonster and gone for the 150-600 sport and i have to say so I'm blown away by the build and image quality. So the question is has anyone got a suggestion for a bag to take the lens and camera (7d Mk2) along the lines of the Lowe pro lens trekker aw600 (which went with the sigmonster.

Ta Floss

So thanks to Wolfy I've junked the Sigmonster and gone for the 150-600 sport and i have to say so I'm blown away by the build and image quality. So the question is has anyone got a suggestion for a bag to take the lens and camera (7d Mk2) along the lines of the Lowe pro lens trekker aw600 (which went with the sigmonster.

Ta Floss
Yes Pete get the thinktank glass limo ,I can get my gripped camera and the sigma lens with hood extended into it plus a 70-200 and a wide angle ,and bits and pieces in the pockets etc ,the bag empty only weighs 1.5kilos ,and is really comfortable to wear .
Wolfy not seen that one for a few years :clap: if you need any advice p.m your phone number ,don't think I still have it :canon:

PM Sent old bean!!

Off to Skomer Island in the morning (hopefully)! Be prepared for lots of puffin photos. :)

I have just purchased this lens and I love it. Not only for the reach but coupled with my 5diii, I am getting a lot more sharp focussed exposures than I would give credit for, especially when it is a heavy lens. Yes there is a vingette at the 450-600 end of the range, but a Lightroom lens profile sorts that out in a click.

However, this is my second of this lens.

My first version was used once and within 3 hours of use the focal grip became stiff, far too stiff to operate with ease, so I stopped using it. When I returned to the shop with the lens to seek a replacement I noticed that there were metallic shavings behind the glass but inside the lens. It would appear that the quality control had failed and the focal splines had not mesed correctly and every movement was just ginding them more and more; eventually leading to a very loose adjustment which would not have change the focal length at all.

I think I was unlucky with this and maybe Sigma's control was no 100% but thankfully I got a replacement.

Just one final note, keep the box - I know it is big but Sigma apparently like to control the stock/serial number. I recycled mine and when I went back to the shop, I got a little telling off.......but then you don't expect a £1200 lens to work only the once.

Back