Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Same for the Nikon version too! Sadly, that's half of a new desktop for me so it's a no go for now :(

Took the 150-600C out to London City Airport. The clouds broke quite nicely and I was treated to some nice early evening light. Really quite pleased with the level of detail and sharpness on these, these large subjects are much more forgiving than the feathery winged kind. :p

London City Airport 1
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

London City Airport 2
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

London City Airport 4
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

London City Airport 3
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

London City Airport 7
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

London City Airport 6
by Steve Rix, on Flickr

Last edited:
has anyone used a nikon version with a tele converter, if so which one. Its a minefield of which one to try and get.

Also is the dock really worth it?

Hello chaps :) in the next few weeks I'm going to take the plunge and treat miself to a new lens. I'm struggling to justify the extra money on a Sport so going to go for the Contemporary.

At present I'm using a 150-500 on a D7000 and I'm fairly happy with the results. A couple of reasons for the up-grade, obviously the longer focal length and the other is to hopefully up the keeper rate for BIF.

A question I do have is, does anyone use it with a Sigma 1.4 tele, will it AF or would this combo be MF only? I've had a bit of a Google but from what I found, it seemed a bit inconclusive, thanks

I know the S will auto focus with a 1.4 TC but not a 2x

has anyone used a nikon version with a tele converter, if so which one. Its a minefield of which one to try and get.

Also is the dock really worth it?
The dock is worth it, without it you can't adjust the focus speed for one thing, and on its fastest setting its lightning quick :)

Think I've convinced myself that I need one of these :D Going to buy from Amazon, so I can avail of 5% student discount, but just wondering if there is anything to be cautious about, with purchases from Amazon. I have read in the past, about some grey market lens being sold there, but I would have thought, if sold by Amazon, I should be okay?

I had reason to contact Sigma about my 150-600mm sport and once they knew it was from Amazon they insisted on knowing the serial number before doing anything. Once I had read it out the engineer said oh, that's ok as it's one of ours and was fine after that.
Apparently Amazon source their lenses from all over Europe and Sigma will not work on any non UK lens under warranty.

Think I've convinced myself that I need one of these :D Going to buy from Amazon, so I can avail of 5% student discount, but just wondering if there is anything to be cautious about, with purchases from Amazon. I have read in the past, about some grey market lens being sold there, but I would have thought, if sold by Amazon, I should be okay?
From Amazon direct you'll have no problems. That's where I got mine from, they're an authorised Sigma retailer.

Thanks Mike. Useful to know.

When I register with Sigma, for extended warranty, would this highlight any issues? If so, I could always return to Amazon, if there's an issue.

I had reason to contact Sigma about my 150-600mm sport and once they knew it was from Amazon they insisted on knowing the serial number before doing anything. Once I had read it out the engineer said oh, that's ok as it's one of ours and was fine after that.
Apparently Amazon source their lenses from all over Europe and Sigma will not work on any non UK lens under warranty.
As above Amazon UK are on the list of authorised UK resellers.

They're probably twitchy about marketplace sellers (and / or overseas Amazon).

All three Sigma lenses I bought through Amazon have been registered via Sigma and have their 3 year Sigma warranties honoured :)

Thanks Mike. Useful to know.

When I register with Sigma, for extended warranty, would this highlight any issues? If so, I could always return to Amazon, if there's an issue.
You'll be fine from Amazon UK if bought from Amazon themselves. Just don't buy via a reseller.

Last edited:
Ahhh bubbles :mad: Suppose I could buy and return, for a refund, if not able to register on Sigma website.

Ahhh bubbles :mad: Suppose I could buy and return, for a refund, if not able to register on Sigma website.
Yeah Amazon customer service is excellent so I doubt you'll have any issues with them.

Nope, mine was from Amazon themselves. I also had a Tamron 100-300mm from them a while back and Tamron at first refused to pay the casback as it had a serial number which said it was German stock.
See my post above, up until Jan this year Amazon were an approved reseller.

Anyway your lens was a UK one??

If anyone is looking to buy this great lens, LCE are selling at £739 as are most other UK dealers but they are offering the dock at £19.99 if purchased together. They are obviously UK models and imo this is a good deal saving £20 on the dock.
May help someone.

If anyone is looking to buy this great lens, LCE are selling at £739 as are most other UK dealers but they are offering the dock at £19.99 if purchased together. They are obviously UK models and imo this is a good deal saving £20 on the dock.
May help someone.

Chris, I remember seeing the lens and dock for £759 somewhere but I couldn't for the life in mi find it again, thank you (y) ........all I need to do now is hit the button :D

Had mine a month and have only used it for a few garden test shots to adjust focus & IS modes. One thing I will say is that the lens is sharp and focus is spot on at all focal lengths. It was a whim purchase, but I hope to get around to using it eventually.

I had to make a bird table just to use it haha.
Love it even more after setting it up with the dock

Funds cleared from mpb :banana: Just need to figure out, where best to purchase from, so if there's any special deals available, please let me know.

Funds cleared from mpb :banana: Just need to figure out, where best to purchase from, so if there's any special deals available, please let me know.

LCE were doing this and the dock for 759 saving £20. Offer might be over now though.

Bit the bullet and went with Amazon. Lens & dock for just under £740 :D

Hope I'm able to register it, on Sigma website, else I will have to return :eek:

Bit the bullet and went with Amazon. Lens & dock for just under £740 :D

Hope I'm able to register it, on Sigma website, else I will have to return :eek:

Thats a damn good price for the pair, had mine for around 6 months and it was around £950 plus £40 for the dock so £250 less

Its a great lens for the money and I'm sure you'll be fine registering it with Sigma, you'll be impressed with it hopefully, I know I was

Last edited:
Thats a damn good price for the pair, had mine for around 6 months and it was around £950 plus £40 for the dock so £250 less

Its a great lens for the money and I'm sure you'll be fine registering it with Sigma, you'll be impressed with it hopefully, I know I was

It's handy being a 50 year old student :)

Back