Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Lens received from Amazon :D

Been on the Sigma website and registered the lens. States copy of registration sent to my email address, but as yet, haven't received the email.

If it was a grey import, would it have highlighted it when I entered the serial number, or do Sigma have to check and then get in contact with me?

Don't want to take the lens out, of it's box, until I'm sure it is not a grey copy.

Lens received from Amazon :D

Been on the Sigma website and registered the lens. States copy of registration sent to my email address, but as yet, haven't received the email.

If it was a grey import, would it have highlighted it when I entered the serial number, or do Sigma have to check and then get in contact with me?

Don't want to take the lens out, of it's box, until I'm sure it is not a grey copy.
It took about 3 days for my confirmation email to come through.

Why would you not use the lens? ... You can still send it back if it's an import.

I thought I would not be able to use it. It's a mute point, at the moment anyway, weather has been dreadful.

I thought I would not be able to use it. It's a mute point, at the moment anyway, weather has been dreadful.
It's meant to be nice tomorrow. The grey ones don't have the extended warranty, so it would have told you when you registered.

It's meant to be nice tomorrow. The grey ones don't have the extended warranty, so it would have told you when you registered.

I don't think Sigma UK are that technically advanced ... I believe an actual person has to look it up on a computer before sending a confirmation email. :)

As for not using it I did (and a sport) before returning both (I eventually bought another S version from them)

It took about 3 days for my confirmation email to come through.

Mine took a couple of days for the confirmation email to arrive also, I'd just use it in the meantime. Amazon are pretty good and any problems will usually be sorted out but to be honest I wouldnt think that you;ll have any and that this is a legitimate sourced lens

Extended warranty email confirmation received :D
Good stuff! I'm pretty sure 99% of Amazon stock is UK stock, they probably only got unlucky when only a small amount of non UK lenses made it through their supply chain. All my Siggys from them have been ok :)

Has anyone fine tuned their aut0 focus, looked on line last night and watched the official sigma video.

Might be a daft question but if for example at 600mm you set the distance 10metres am I right in assuming to test you would need to take pictures at 10metres

Has anyone fine tuned their aut0 focus, looked on line last night and watched the official sigma video.

Might be a daft question but if for example at 600mm you set the distance 10metres am I right in assuming to test you would need to take pictures at 10metres
You mean as in micro adjust?

Not had to do mine, spot on straight out of the box on all three bodies (as all my lenses have been!) :)

You mean as in micro adjust?

Not had to do mine, spot on straight out of the box on all three bodies (as all my lenses have been!) :)

yes Jim not sure but think mine be a bit out at 600

Mines has been spot on straight out the box. Any focus issues that I have are down to me :)

Mines has been spot on straight out the box.

I hope I can say the same tomorrow when mine arrives :banana: :D

Ordered this morning from LCE with the USB Dock..........all I need now is some performing owls ...........and some sun! :)

So it arrived, just as the rain started spitting
shakehead.gif
.............Straight out the box and onto camera, nipped out and this Dunnock was rummaging under the Hawthorn Hedge.

Hand held at 200th of a second, j-peg, SOOC..........I feel I've got to be very happy :)

Again, it definitely looks sharper on flickr (to me) than it does when posted to TP

Just got to figure out what to do with the dock now! :D

D7K_1122 by Phil D, on Flickr

So it arrived, just as the rain started spitting
shakehead.gif
.............Straight out the box and onto camera, nipped out and this Dunnock was rummaging under the Hawthorn Hedge.

Hand held at 200th of a second, j-peg, SOOC..........I feel I've got to be very happy :)

Again, it definitely looks sharper on flickr (to me) than it does when posted to TP

Just got to figure out what to do with the dock now! :D

D7K_1122 by Phil D, on Flickr
Nice shot, the first of many I'm sure....

Nice shot. But I see what you mean, about Flickr, much sharper image.

Cheers John, its something that I just can't seem to cure, last time I up-dated Firefox it seemed better but it looks to have gone back to how it was :confused:......if I up-load straight from the hard drive, it seems even worse :banghead:

One thing I have realised fairly quickly this evening, I don't like the tripod collar! I do a lot of walking about with the lens strap over mi shoulder, on the 150-500 the collar was big enough to get a good grip for extra security, on the 600 it feels very small in comparison.

Anyone else found the same and done anything about it? There's some 'long lens' carrying handles on e'bay but they go the other way and look a bit bulky...........:thinking:.....maybe I'll try make sumot

One thing I have realised fairly quickly this evening, I don't like the tripod collar! I do a lot of walking about with the lens strap over mi shoulder, on the 150-500 the collar was big enough to get a good grip for extra security, on the 600 it feels very small in comparison.

Anyone else found the same and done anything about it? There's some 'long lens' carrying handles on e'bay but they go the other way and look a bit bulky...........:thinking:.....maybe I'll try make sumot
I bought a Q strap, and carry it with that.

Ok I'm slightly shy of asking this question because it probably makes me sound really stupid....

If I have the (massive and deep) lens hood on, surely there is less light hitting the lens as its been tunnelled down the hood rather than hitting it from all angles? And therefor the camera will need a higher iso or smaller f stop or slower ss?

Is that just b*****ks or am I right?

Ok I'm slightly shy of asking this question because it probably makes me sound really stupid....

If I have the (massive and deep) lens hood on, surely there is less light hitting the lens as its been tunnelled down the hood rather than hitting it from all angles? And therefor the camera will need a higher iso or smaller f stop or slower ss?

Is that just b*****ks or am I right?
No, there's just as much light hitting the *sensor*, it's only stray light from the sides it shields, which is wasted light as it refracts off the front element. That's how you get flare and loss of contrast. It doesn't change the amount of light received by the sensor.

The hood will always be out of the area of focused light also, otherwise you'd be able to see it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: WWA
No, there's just as much light hitting the *sensor*, it's only stray light from the sides it shields, which is wasted light as it refracts off the front element. That's how you get flare and loss of contrast. It doesn't change the amount of light received by the sensor.

The hood will always be out of the area of focused light also, otherwise you'd be able to see it :)

That makes complete sense. Thank you for taking time to reply to my silly question!

Has anyone plugged their lens into the dock recently?

I'm sure it used to give an option between accurate focus or fast focus but now its just a choice between fastest, standard and smoothest (for movies). Has this changed or is it my imagination?

Has anyone plugged their lens into the dock recently?

I'm sure it used to give an option between accurate focus or fast focus but now its just a choice between fastest, standard and smoothest (for movies). Has this changed or is it my imagination?

No one?

Isn't smoothest the same as accurate?

I was presuming so but I'm sure it used to be worded differently and now it doesn't say anything about most accurate just that smoothest is for movie filming. So I'm now confused as what to have it set on because I don't need smoothness, I just need accuracy and speed

Back