Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

I have extended the time that the camera takes to focus longer when tracking a subject. Before it refocuses

I struggle to decide where to set this. In the help menu it suggests setting to 'OFF' if the subject is moving towards you. With the Owls I want them flying towards me so I'm guessing that's the best setting.

This thing is AWESOME!!!

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5254.jpg

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5297.jpg

Thanks Peter! Yes wide open at long focal lengths the subject separation makes for lovely DOF :)

Cheers Chris (y)

Superb set Simon, very impressive for such a high ISO setting. Do you feel your best to always shoot a high ISO for this style of photography ?

Hi Peter,

For me these little birds are always moving even when perched.

I have my camera set usually to auto ISO with a max of 1600 for this time of year and 3200 in winter months. I shoot manual so can alter SS, aperture etc...... with the camera at my eye. I usually have my SS at a minimum of 1/800 even on a tripod.......As for the higher ISO, I would prefer to capture a sharper image with noise rather than a un-sharp with out noise. I find LR deals with NR pretty good also.

Last edited:
Thanks Simon, yes they are, a right pair of hooligans :)

Could have done with this lens this morning, stopped in a lane to take a photo of something else and a massive heron jumped up about 15m in front of me, it then resettled where it was, I had the 20mm mounted on the D750 at that time (n)

Got the lens last week just before I went to Le Mans 24h. So many photos to go through but here are a couple that I have looked at so far. Couldn't get as close to the fence as I would have liked to totally blur it out so some distortion from that but was really pleased with the lens! Shot hand-held.

1)

DSC_1521.jpg by rackhs, on Flickr

2)

DSC_1519.jpg by rackhs, on Flickr

Got the lens last week just before I went to Le Mans 24h. So many photos to go through but here are a couple that I have looked at so far. Couldn't get as close to the fence as I would have liked to totally blur it out so some distortion from that but was really pleased with the lens! Shot hand-held.

1)

DSC_1521.jpg by rackhs, on Flickr

2)

DSC_1519.jpg by rackhs, on Flickr

Great stuff :). I'm taking mine to the British Grand Prix next month so really looking forward to using it in anger there!

Loving the action shots above...

Gonna be using the Siggy 150-600mm lens at the 'BSB' races this weekend at Knockhill, apart from selecting AF-C on the Nikon D810 for sports action, which 'focus tracking' mode would anyone suggest please for capturing motorcycle racing ?

Any advice/experience appreciated.

Regards;
Peter

Loving the action shots above...

Gonna be using the Siggy 150-600mm lens at the 'BSB' races this weekend at Knockhill, apart from selecting AF-C on the Nikon D810 for sports action, which 'focus tracking' mode would anyone suggest please for capturing motorcycle racing ?

Any advice/experience appreciated.

Regards;
Peter
Hi Peter,

I am by no means an expert on here and no doubt others will be able to help more, but for the Le Mans shots above, I was using a D7200 with AF-C 21 points. This seemed to do me quite well. I have read that 9- and 21-point seem to give the best results for things like motor sports and that the 3dynamic tracking hunts a lot. Haven't tried anything else out except the 21-point so someone will probably come and correct me now, but it worked for me :)

Good luck! I love this lens after just this weekend and am sure you will get some great shots.

My doubts over not getting the Sport are disappearing as its lighter weight make a much more usable lens. I have bumped into a few Sport owners who struggle with the weight. As for image quality no complaints so far and the OS really does a good job. The 2.8m MFD is amusing as I was out with a mate who has the Canon 100-400ii he is creeping up on bugs getting really close and I am walking away trying to get focus. It still works though.

Bee on flower
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Banded Demoiselle
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

There are some absolutely stunning shots on here from everyone. It is this thread that really convinced me to get it. Such a great lens for the price in my mind!

This Little Ringed Plover was taken this morning with the Sigma and my Canon 70d along with the TC-1401 Teleconverter.
It wont autofocus through the shutter button but will on live view with the touch screen. Does anyone know that if by updating the firmware (after purchasing the USB dock) it will autofocus through the shutter button?
Thanks, Mike.

Little Ringed Plover by Mike Warburton Photography, on Flickr

nice result, believe af will not work as due to the camera not the lens, think certain kenko ones might work as it sends false info to the camera

This Little Ringed Plover was taken this morning with the Sigma and my Canon 70d along with the TC-1401 Teleconverter.
It wont autofocus through the shutter button but will on live view with the touch screen. Does anyone know that if by updating the firmware (after purchasing the USB dock) it will autofocus through the shutter button?
Thanks, Mike.

Little Ringed Plover by Mike Warburton Photography, on Flickr
What Bob said is your problem with AF using the Teleconverter as the 70D only has AF to f5.6 and you're asking it to go to f9.
A really nice shot of the LRP by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike.

Little Ringed Plover
by Mike Warburton Photography, on Flickr

nice result, believe af will not work as due to the camera not the lens, think certain kenko ones might work as it sends false info to the camera

I tried my Kenko one on Thursday in good light and it really struggled to AF using my D810. Although it works fine on my Sigma 70-300mm lens as it's probably not going past f8. I believe (Jeff) Blackfox uses the latest Canon version (HDGX ??) on his Sport lens with good results.

Back