Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Just got a lens by the post and it won't fit my camera bag (not a surprise really).
Is there something good to carry this one lens attached to the body without having a huge bag. I don't want to carry other lenses or laptop. I think it will have to be vertical storage?

Does anyone use a lowepro flipside 200? a lowepro flipside 300? a lowepro flipside sport 10l aw?
Or anything else?

Ive just tried it in Mrs Moggys Flipside 300 fitted to a 7Dmk2, it fits snuggly with the internal pocket thingy still in place at the top. I usually carry mine in a flipside 400 but thats cos I do carry other stuff, if all you want is a body, lens and maybe a battery or lens pen a 300 would be fine

I use a flipside 300 with my D7000 and 150-600c.
Fits no problem. I also carry a couple of other lenses and some bits and pieces as well.
Let me know if you want a pic.

Thanks guys, i have to say at the moment i'm looking at the flipside 15L looks like a great little bag and it's around 50£ online, only a couple of cm wider and deeper that the think tank glass taxi model and a bit more outdoor looking. No many camera shop around me too be looking at them in the flesh!

Thanks guys, i have to say at the moment i'm looking at the flipside 15L looks like a great little bag and it's around 50£ online, only a couple of cm wider and deeper that the think tank glass taxi model and a bit more outdoor looking. No many camera shop around me too be looking at them in the flesh!

£50 seems cheap for a genuine Flipside Sport 15L. Not looking on ebay are you? there's a thread somewhere on here of the ebay ones and being Chinese knock offs.

Ordered from ebay but from germany, at 70£ including delivery. Really hope it's not a fake one :-(.

I could do with a longer strap ,thinking maybe padded for a bit more comfort.

I seem to remember reading a few had bought longer straps but can't find the posts :rolleyes: any recommendations? cheers

I went for a canvas shoulder bag. Not well padded but not as obvious as a camera bag and very light.

Went out yesterday to try the new lens out yesterday (thank you Simon (y) it look like a great copy). Very happy with the reach i came from canon 70D with 100-400 to nikon D750 with sigma 150-600 and there's plenty of reach with this lens even on a full frame body! My little boy (1 year old) had manage to switch my body to jpg instead of the usual raw. So they were a bit oversharpened to my taste but looks good anyway.

Rw-E6Wjd-MqFH8YhXjIBYEBC3gDlI3dVLMFxptJIJQ-yyeE6gziOMQcHwsykEtkRcW8_h0OCyUF1lVehpgMnlM-YzzrB0EX0OMerZDrQt09f8gJnmd4rRZjZwA-_i2lPg4f62AeH9G_5mHB4JUi9w2ifGJS1ucjlUDeycCT8yM8LMQb6Fy3ZF04tLtmzzrLEWhTgdu1fo3ApD_TXjFxjAYJ11EdE4Z_TYyzM-uwoURNODLnmpf9Bs8-KS08t51B4eeYxBNPAmTNEAppXmUSLCEv4lo2yLHX2b3E_j_mkFy0_3sL3rywS-khO4QcNsQEm351J6iz1FEqt8oOI1QtKO7qPCIscUedymXYzkSKT8x5T3SdZl2uIkh7WPheXVDbW6vmB_wt46_W_DMq_E_2aN5q-Z3vp1KKtUctm_JHj3qrnAakL1gjM_SuUvo4MEyAtVNDU2FHOZj9YnbtX_i2MHml-wK9XN5OzQDdmSvciX0MdU_s_0FzvasSOm8qqbtsQT4-fInh22zV_Ocr9Ko4LD_znqSGCcM--RrvTrWgZ_UsERo2iPJDHMrndeq1mG59O-Rge2cEugxTIDP19PQFfvIJ-BZjosok-IHUxKFGCcaBAKtKemMrY=w1049-h700-no

2OFRH-LSSQzrqRiyZAFUMXT2ltF676uLYkGVCj6t5ogbYQ11lYpTzGH5czvoIylCJCi1WnoJ6oS2SxcLaWTncofeGCbEceaPjXDh-pNj-JAjW71YSeHjvNATbhMR4QZ-jqrBYCy1VfDLDPwKONbM5tXMsJDD5JFNBbPi8blEAD6769l9X6xxNMEH-q0CSkgkMWkhvjFbdNdsODMbr0LD7FjI-O_yPElrW_nABVBUnesExEfQB2hxITG7iCOzJtmzdJlgMKj-62yD0b8kakKSymsdO5qv47Pom1sS--GadQ0Znm-9Ht7tdYxOSKVLxGQ48-CCvUnaAD5-je4KoXFvrgD7_fY-7wPCKnDzbW2YTZwFbYzOVbzFLKpndpsJeROvpWYgZL0CeTwvwls2TTAVz-25mPOcURUL8FxqBMLqQybdSPM61-W8ABVqimiiZkNyI8HAjQPsS-OVj_ibr0bbtlVGm8B3mHKT1a78dRUFqG7qYfG6DFgpTknUuX3uIVuP82e7bpntMy8idHD67rzBmIILQylnO-zGdVk6yoNICpQBkyvnMXvTar7sRtXds5EiFzZvKSTD7b_yVYX3r0E_qtum3_4o2fLvkxNq2rrcoRjccxKPL-Yh=w1049-h700-no

Just got my Siggy its paired with my 80D Not totally convinced I have a out of the box sharp copy. Your thoughts please I have corrected levels sharpnened and noise reduction carried out. I have the dock and have set up much as everyone else has. Not made any adjustment to the focal options as not used the lens enough yet to consider if I have any focus issues with this lens

test 2 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

test 9 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

test 6 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

test 17 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr
JPG out of camera untouched
test 18 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
Has anyone used the sigma dock to set it up properly. if so how long did it take and what method did you use?

My first trip out with the lens to find some birds. I'm very happy with the reach it gives but think I need more practice at holding it as its a wee bit longer than my previous lenses. I found myself doing little circles with it at times.
GG5_1616e by Graeme Gall, on Flickr

If I remember the dock set up it tells you to download there software. You then connect the dock and lens. Next it checks firmware and then you can look at what to setup

Sorry I meant for the focus settings more than the customs settings.
I've done all the custom c1 etc. it was more the focal length settings etc

At 300mm plus I think it does.

But I shall do a bit more investigation over the festive break and alter according.
Was just after people's experiences if they had carried out said operation.

I like that!
Quite low shutter speed I notice.
Yes, and a much higher ISO than I would normally have used, but moving up from my 7D2 meant I could experiment with ISO above 800 under the trees without it being horribly noisy. It was the only way to get any sort of shot.
To be honest it was terrible light, a gloomy day and under tree canopy, but I wanted to get out to play :)

This is what I managed to get today, first time out with the lens and the 1DX.

Female mallard by mack100, on Flickr

Male mallard by mack100, on Flickr

Gull by mack100, on Flickr

The duck shots were at 4000 ISO, as far as I'm concerned that's insanely high!
What amazes me with the female mallard shot I didn't have to apply any NR in pp, must be the sensor, certainly not me!

As far as the gull shot goes, I was amazed to actually see a bird in the viewfinder.

Gosh, 600mm x 1.6 (crop body) x 1.4 (extender) = 1344! That start to be some serious reach!!! Would be interrested to see how it fill the frame with a moon shoot.

That is going to be one of my Xmas holidays goals[emoji4]

I use mine on a gimbal with OS enabled.The gimbal and tripod collar are slackened off. I rest my left hand on the lens above the centre of gravity using my right hand to fire the shutter.
This works for me.

I use mine on a gimbal with OS enabled.The gimbal and tripod collar are slackened off. I rest my left hand on the lens above the centre of gravity using my right hand to fire the shutter.
This works for me.
Thanks. I assume if I used the setup in a more conventional manner, i.e. the gimbal being balanced and the gimbal and tripod collar not slackened then that would be considered as tripod use and the OS should be turned off?
There is of course one way and one way only for me to determine the best usage and that's to get myself into the garden and actually try it for myself:)

Lucky man received one from Santa today after lots of hints to my wife.

First thoughts are its heavier and larger than I expected but bear in mind this is my first quality long lens and also I was pleasantly surprised to find a lens hood in the box.

Only managed to fire a few shots off through the window as the weather has been shocking and it's been a busy day but tomorrow looking much better so hope to get out for a bit of a local walkabout.

Mother in Law got me the dock so will have a play with that too later in the week.

Pictures and report to follow.......

Can i ask at what focal length these shots were taken, please...Im shooting with a Sigma 150-500 and just got a X2 converter to test

Lucky man received one from Santa today after lots of hints to my wife.

First thoughts are its heavier and larger than I expected but bear in mind this is my first quality long lens and also I was pleasantly surprised to find a lens hood in the box.

Only managed to fire a few shots off through the window as the weather has been shocking and it's been a busy day but tomorrow looking much better so hope to get out for a bit of a local walkabout.

Mother in Law got me the dock so will have a play with that too later in the week.

Pictures and report to follow.......
It's a splendid lens, I'm very pleased I bought it. The only alternative was the Canon 100-400 Mkii which is a stunner by all accounts but the extra 200mm reach (I'm on full frame!) and the price swung it for me.

dunno if the 150-500 if different to the 15-600, but it wont autofocus on the 150-600

Wandered round the local duck pond/small lake and happy to get a few shots off in the cold and wind,

Happy with the results so far but going to take some getting used to with the weight and manouverability

Lens Test by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Back