Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Thanks guys, I've gone for the Lowepro AW400 in the end, which came up on Amazon as an alternative to the above at half price rrp so I snapped it up. Seems like a good bag, especially for the money.
How are you getting on with your new bag?
Just bought the 150-600c and need a bigger bag.

How are you getting on with your new bag?
Just bought the 150-600c and need a bigger bag.
It's good, certainly room for the 150-600 with hood reversed and other lenses, even another body if you arrange the compartments.

It's good, certainly room for the 150-600 with hood reversed and other lenses, even another body if you arrange the compartments.
Cool. Do you think the lens would fit attached to my D7000?
Not sure whether to get the 400 or the 500?

The default OS on this lens seems to work similar to the IS mode3 on the newer Canon lenses in that it does not stabilize until the shutter is fired - I prefer dynamic view OS which allows you to see the stabilisation in the view finder as its easier to pinpoint the focus point on a small area like a birds eye.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello chaps :) in the next few weeks I'm going to take the plunge and treat miself to a new lens. I'm struggling to justify the extra money on a Sport so going to go for the Contemporary.

At present I'm using a 150-500 on a D7000 and I'm fairly happy with the results. A couple of reasons for the up-grade, obviously the longer focal length and the other is to hopefully up the keeper rate for BIF.

A question I do have is, does anyone use it with a Sigma 1.4 tele, will it AF or would this combo be MF only? I've had a bit of a Google but from what I found, it seemed a bit inconclusive, thanks

Hello chaps :) in the next few weeks I'm going to take the plunge and treat miself to a new lens. I'm struggling to justify the extra money on a Sport so going to go for the Contemporary.

At present I'm using a 150-500 on a D7000 and I'm fairly happy with the results. A couple of reasons for the up-grade, obviously the longer focal length and the other is to hopefully up the keeper rate for BIF.

A question I do have is, does anyone use it with a Sigma 1.4 tele, will it AF or would this combo be MF only? I've had a bit of a Google but from what I found, it seemed a bit inconclusive, thanks
I used the kenko1.4 and that works fine ,and yes it auto focuses fine, and not slow either..

Last edited:
I used the kenko1.4 and that works fine ,and yes it auto focuses fine, and not slow either..

Thanks Mark, what body are you using?

I use mine with the Canon 1.4 tele and it does autofocus, but I think it depends on the camera you use and whether or not it will autofocus at f8 and above.

Thanks Elliott, this was what I found inconclusive, the combination of my D7000, the sigma 1.4 and the contemporary.

Thanks Mark, what body are you using?

Thanks Elliott, this was what I found inconclusive, the combination of my D7000, the sigma 1.4 and the contemporary.
I think you might be a bit disappointed here as the D7000 will not autofocus "reliably" with that combo, I'm pretty sure it's f5.6 not f8 maximum aperture.
I did a lot of reading and comparisons before I got my 7200, was going to get a used 7000 or 7100 but after careful consideration went for the latest model instead.

I think you might be a bit disappointed here as the D7000 will not autofocus "reliably" with that combo, I'm pretty sure it's f5.6 not f8 maximum aperture.
I did a lot of reading and comparisons before I got my 7200, was going to get a used 7000 or 7100 but after careful consideration went for the latest model instead.

Not really disappointed Paul, I haven't bought the combo yet! :D ........was just thinking aloud and thought I'd ask the question as there's a Sigma 1.4 tele for sale in the classifieds :)

So in your opinion, it'll be the D7000 that stops the 1.4 tele from working? .........I have a D7200 in mind but was thinking of waiting until the D500 had been out a few months, putting a few more 2nd hand D7200's on the market and hopefully bring the price down a bit :)

What I'll probably do is buy the lens and look into tele converters later in the year, cheers

Not really disappointed Paul, I haven't bought the combo yet! :D ........was just thinking aloud and thought I'd ask the question as there's a Sigma 1.4 tele for sale in the classifieds :)

So in your opinion, it'll be the D7000 that stops the 1.4 tele from working? .........I have a D7200 in mind but was thinking of waiting until the D500 had been out a few months, putting a few more 2nd hand D7200's on the market and hopefully bring the price down a bit :)

What I'll probably do is buy the lens and look into tele converters later in the year, cheers

Not really my opinion, it is just what I read when doing my research, Nikon themselves reckon its f5.6 reliably, so go figure, maybe thats to cover them. It does seem that some people have a varying success rate with the lenses of f5-6.3 and 1.4TC but when you zoom in you lose the f5.6 which will be over 380mm where it is f6.3.

Maybe someone that has the combo could do a test and prove both Nikon and the others that have had no success wrong.

I have followed this thread for a while now as well as the other one for the Sport version and have persuaded the wife to get me one for my birthday in May, it was a close call between this and the Nikon 200-500mm f5.6E which is only about £100 dearer than the Siggy.

Not really my opinion, it is just what I read when doing my research, Nikon themselves reckon its f5.6 reliably, so go figure, maybe thats to cover them. It does seem that some people have a varying success rate with the lenses of f5-6.3 and 1.4TC but when you zoom in you lose the f5.6 which will be over 380mm where it is f6.3.

It is also dependent on the quality of the light and the contrast of the subject. Too 'flat' and the focus acquisition will be compromised.

Just got my second one in a week. The Image Stabilization is non existent on both lenses.
I have the 150-500 and you can see the IS kicking in, getting nothing with the new 150-600.
Tried the lenses on my 550D and on my 760D, with both showing no IS.
Feeling so disappointed about this lens, especially after seeing all these photographs taken with it.

Just got my second one in a week. The Image Stabilization is non existent on both lenses.
I have the 150-500 and you can see the IS kicking in, getting nothing with the new 150-600.
Tried the lenses on my 550D and on my 760D, with both showing no IS.
Feeling so disappointed about this lens, especially after seeing all these photographs taken with it.
You're not meant to see it kicking in.You won't see it kicking in unless you change the settings using the dock.
I think you need to select dynamic os.
Did you actually try the lenses at lower speeds with the os on/off to see the difference?

Last edited:
You're not meant to see it kicking in.You won't see it kicking in unless you change the settings using the dock.
I think you need to select dynamic os.
Did you actually try the lenses at lower speeds with the os on/off to see the difference?

I can see it kicking in on the 150-500mm, would it would be the same on the 150-600mm too.
Tried a few different speeds at os off, os1 and os2. Just seems to be nothing happening with the stabilizing of the lens.
I can hear the lens making a noise as if its doing what it should, very frustrated.

I can see it kicking in on the 150-500mm, would it would be the same on the 150-600mm too.
Tried a few different speeds at os off, os1 and os2. Just seems to be nothing happening with the stabilizing of the lens.
I can hear the lens making a noise as if its doing what it should, very frustrated.
On the standard settings, I don't see anything at all to indicate that the os is working, but my hand held shots prove that it is.
Don't compare it to your old 150-500.

The IS on the 150-600mm doesn't behave the same as the 150-500mm (which you can see stabilizing the image through the viewfinder). If you want it to work that way you will need the USB dock and you can set it there (there are 3 settings).

On the standard settings, I don't see anything at all to indicate that the os is working, but my hand held shots prove that it is.
Don't compare it to your old 150-500.

I'll persevere with it for a few days and try all the settings on it.
I know I shouldn't really compare it with the old lens, but its only thing I have to compare it with to hand.
Thanks for your input Bobsyeruncle, really appreciated.

I know I shouldn't really compare it with the old lens, but its only thing I have to compare it with to hand.
No worries. The first time I tried it, I thought the os was turned off.
So I took a slow shutter shot with it on, then with it off, and I could tell that it was definitely working as the shot with os off was less sharp.

Last edited:
The IS on the 150-600mm doesn't behave the same as the 150-500mm (which you can see stabilizing the image through the viewfinder). If you want it to work that way you will need the USB dock and you can set it there (there are 3 settings).

I did not know that Mike.
That's a bit of info I could not find online.
Think I better get a dock for it.
Thanks Mike, appreciated.

You only see it stabilise the viewfinder in "dynamic mode" which you can only set up via the dock.

The OS is still working on the normal mode even though you can't see it in the VF.

It's perfectly normal on this lens.

Also depends on if you update the lens firmware or not - seems if you update it, it becomes incompatible with the older Sigma 1.4 tc and will only work with the newer tc1401

From Sigma website - Please be advised that the updated version of lens firmware will make it compatible with the new tele converters, however it will also make it incompatible with conventional APO TELE CONVERTER 1.4x EX DG and APO TELE CONVERTER 2x EX DG.

You only see it stabilise the viewfinder in "dynamic mode" which you can only set up via the dock.

The OS is still working on the normal mode even though you can't see it in the VF.

It's perfectly normal on this lens.

Cheers Jim.
Appreciate the info.

Just bought one myself to have a go at some wildlife shots, normally a landscaper. Only been out on one trip but initial impressions are very positive although didn't get any great shots due to poor weather.

It might have been mentioned in the thread but rather than trawl hundreds of posts does anyone know whether it's worth adding a TC for extra reach.... I hear that it really needs to be a Sigma for the best functioning but wondered how much IQ loss there would be if using something like the 1401 ?

Thanks

Simon

Just bought one myself to have a go at some wildlife shots, normally a landscaper. Only been out on one trip but initial impressions are very positive although didn't get any great shots due to poor weather.

It might have been mentioned in the thread but rather than trawl hundreds of posts does anyone know whether it's worth adding a TC for extra reach.... I hear that it really needs to be a Sigma for the best functioning but wondered how much IQ loss there would be if using something like the 1401 ?

Thanks

Simon
I use a Canon 1.4x tc MkII with the 150-600 'C' Simon (works better than the Sigma for some reason), considering it is at f9 it works very well with fast and accurate AF on both my 5D3 and 7D2 Cameras. Obviously you lose a bit from the bare lens but it comes in handy when you are reach limited.
Attached shot was taken at the full 600mm with a 1.4x tc so 840 mm, it gives you an idea of the IQ you can expect.
Sigma 150-600 C sample at 840mm focal length by Roy Churchill, on Flickr

As someone who mainly does portraits or landscapes, why am I drawn to this lens?

The quality of some of the shots are fantastic and I'd seriously consider part exchanging my Sigma 18-250 for this as the lower part of that short range is covered by my 17-50.

As someone who mainly does portraits or landscapes, why am I drawn to this lens?

The quality of some of the shots are fantastic and I'd seriously consider part exchanging my Sigma 18-250 for this as the lower part of that short range is covered by my 17-50.

I intend to use mine for long lens landscapes and cityscapes as well as the normal uses for this lens :)

Back