Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

No it is not fair to say this lens lacks contrast! I also own a 500f4is and looking at similar images together I would never say the Sigma lacked anything in good conditions and especially not contrast. If you think 100-400mm is long enough look at the Sigma 100-400 by all accounts it is sharper than the Canon and a lot cheaper.

For what you want it for look at the weight and price of the S compared to the C,the Sport is not really hand holdable for long periods or really a carry about lens so you have to be prepared to use a tripod or monopod which will go off balance every time you zoom in or out. I have done weekends roaming Brands GP circuit with the Sigma 150-600C and days photographing flying Hobby's and have never needed support. The people I know who bought the S version hate the weight, as for weather sealing a lens cover sorts that out and most people will use one on any lens. I am sure S owners say it is sharper but I have never seen anything to prove it in the real world and my C gives my 500f4 a run for its money, but f4 is needed sometimes.

Interesting post. The only downside with my Sigma 150-600 C is the lack of f4.

Apologises, if this has been covered previously, but has anyone replaced the tripod collar on the Sigma 150-600 contemporary? I don't mean, an exact replacement, but rather a tripod collar that is longer, as I find the original to be way too short.

Easy to do, with the Sport version, but for some reason Sigma seemed to have made it much more difficult on the contemporary version.

Apologises, if this has been covered previously, but has anyone replaced the tripod collar on the Sigma 150-600 contemporary? I don't mean, an exact replacement, but rather a tripod collar that is longer, as I find the original to be way too short.

Easy to do, with the Sport version, but for some reason Sigma seemed to have made it much more difficult on the contemporary version.

I have a long Swiss arc mounting plate on mine

A few tests with the x1.4 extender on yesterday and this morning. Much happier with it all at the min

1.4 test by Mark Kingston, on Flickr
Unfortunatley this fellow didnt make the night he was whisked away for a tea time snack.

1.4 test 2 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

I think this may have been the guilty party.

1.4 test 3 by Mark Kingston, on Flickr

This was just a test shot with the extender on at 12800 iso i believe

I've also put on a long 140mm swiss arca style plate on mine:

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0249.jpg

@Ganton Gunner

Nice set Peter, that's a cracking 1st shot of the Stoat (y) Any idea what the chick is?

I was undecided but yes, maybe Tawny Owl chick, good call Stu @Stuart Philpott possibly fallen from the nest?

Peter, here's the edit to the jpeg, I'm sure you will be able to do more with the raw file.

I'll come back to it later to explain in more detail what I've done but basically, selectively lifted shadows and did a little selective sharpening around the head/eyes.

Upped brightness a tad, upped saturation but then lowered the green channel as the grass looked overcooked, then reduced noise just to the bg using Nik Dfine add on.

I've put your OP up above my edit to make a better comparison, cheers

28434264668_1aee96ca3c_k 1024.jpg

28434264668_1aee96ca3c_k nr ss 1024.jpg

Back