Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

You canon users have had a load of updates. The Nikon one hasn’t had one yet.

So I picked up this lens today from my local Jessops as my local independent was shut. It was brand new for £699, which I thought was pretty good(?).
A few very quick test shots from out the door, handheld.; then a couple more at home. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed!

These are all straight out of the camera - no PP at all.

DSC_4815
by IscaSteve, on Flickr

DSC_4810
by IscaSteve, on Flickr

Indoors, fairly dark and a dark dog so not ideal!

DSC_4829
by IscaSteve, on Flickr

It was almost dark when I took this, panning R-L.

DSC_4834
by IscaSteve, on Flickr

Last edited:
LOL,....even though I am strong I will struggle holding up 9 150-600 lenses !
1350-5400mm surely that’s a bit excessive can you not get closer ;)

Seems you have some tame birds at that reserve Steve, nice captures.
Yeah they're really quite tame, but this was the first time they've fed from the hand. Although normally there's kids running riot and this time it was early morning so that's probably the difference.

Are any of you using this lens with an 80D?
I'm currently considering the Tamron 150-600 G2 but used prices for the sigma seem quite good but I'm not sure if one would require a firmware update, depending on the age of the lens.

Are any of you using this lens with an 80D?
I'm currently considering the Tamron 150-600 G2 but used prices for the sigma seem quite good but I'm not sure if one would require a firmware update, depending on the age of the lens.

I have an 80D that I use with mine and had no problems at all

I bought the dock at the same time about two years and not used it yet

Seemed to work fine straight out of the box.

Is anyone else’s 150-600 sometimes a little reluctant to AF? Sometimes I have to give the manual focus ring a nudge before much happens and then it seems fine.

Anyone able to help with the above? ^^
Sounds like it needs to go to sigma for a check over , they are pretty good with there pricing if it’s out of warranty ..

You canon users have had a load of updates. The Nikon one hasn’t had one yet.
There is currently a massive firmware update out (March 2019) for all the lenses , it has definetly improved the definition on the lens and speeded it up a bit

There is currently a massive firmware update out (March 2019) for all the lenses , it has definetly improved the definition on the lens and speeded it up a bit
I noticed that too but after reading the release notes it seems that the update only improves the viewfinder stability. Mine seems to be fine so have not updated it.

Jeff, when you say it has speeded the lens up could you elaborate a bit, I hate updating things that do not have problems but I would never say no to a bit of extra speed.

I noticed that too but after reading the release notes it seems that the update only improves the viewfinder stability. Mine seems to be fine so have not updated it.

Jeff, when you say it has speeded the lens up could you elaborate a bit, I hate updating things that do not have problems but I would never say no to a bit of extra speed.
hi Paul nothing that I can put my finger on and say yes its done this that or the other definitely , its just a gut feeling that others on other forums have noticed to .. I really think speeded up is possibly the wrong term , more that it has improved the burst rate I think I'm discarding far far less since doing it and there is a marked improvement in definition they dont do these updates for a laugh .

It will be like the camera updates. A Canon Tec told me to always do updates as it’s not what they tell you it’s what they don’t tell you that matters.

we went out for a late afternoon stroll today took the dog for a walk , and I rolled off a few shots along the estuary . most birds were at a distance but I just processed egret shot and as the wife was with me she knows how far it was away .. I just showed her the shot and her mouth hung open at how sharp it was.

this one
the worm turns by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sounds like it needs to go to sigma for a check over , they are pretty good with there pricing if it’s out of warranty ..

Cheers. I'm going to have a bit more of a play. I tried it again indoors and it seems it only really as an issue at 600mm going from a far subject to a close one. Seems if something is completely out of focus (as in opposite end of the range) it sometimes won't even start to look. It never hesitates going between things at similar distances.

How old is your lens? If it’s in warranty send it in as I’ve never heard of anyone I know talking of the issue you are having.

How old is your lens? If it’s in warranty send it in as I’ve never heard of anyone I know talking of the issue you are having.
As Iain says that sounds like a definite problem , a trip to sigma is the best answer , worth giving them a bell first though as it might be something your doing wrong or a camera mismatch ,( unlikely )

As Iain says that sounds like a definite problem , a trip to sigma is the best answer , worth giving them a bell first though as it might be something your doing wrong or a camera mismatch ,( unlikely )

Yep. Seems that way. Cheers.

Looks like your focus point has been on the wing/side rather than the eye. But where the focus point has been is sharp.

Looks like your focus point has been on the wing/side rather than the eye. But where the focus point has been is sharp.

Hi, I am quite happy with the Sigma's performance. I have several MF tele-lenses from Minolta, Nikon Leitz/Leica, which are all good optically,
but the birds do not sit still long, so AF is better.

Another set:

D80_5091-n150-tp.jpg

D80_5091-n150c-tp.jpg

D80_5091-n150cc-tp.jpg

Last edited:
Back