Sigma 17-50 on D5600

Name
J
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Just received a Sigma 17-50 lens for use with my D5600, and I've raised a return with Amazon because of a couple of issues that I wanted to ask about on here before I actually return it.

The lens seemed to work OK in terms of autofocus working and the pics looked fine, however within a few hours of being attached to my camera the battery needed replacing (started with a full charge) - I tend to leave my camera on standby all of the time and has never been an issue before with other lenses. So I tried another battery and exactly the same thing happened.

Also, I wasn't sure if the Optical Stabilization was working when I turned it on. I could prove that it was while using Live View, but no idea if it was while looking through the view finder. I think it might be working as I can hear a very faint sound from the lens.

Anyway, before I send it back, has anyone else had this experience or know of any known issues with D5600 and this lens? I almost bought a Sigma USB Dock but couldn't see a firmware download on the sigma website for this lens so didn't bother :(

TIA :)

JP

Also, I wasn't sure if the Optical Stabilization was working when I turned it on. I could prove that it was while using Live View, but no idea if it was while looking through the view finder. I think it might be working as I can hear a very faint sound from the lens.
Why don't you just test it?

Pick a target with high contrast and some fine detail - for example when in the office I use a clock face. With the lens at the 50mm end, set the shutter speed to around 1/20th and adjust the aperture and ISO to get a correct exposure. Shoot with OS on and off, and inspect the images. If they're both sharp, slow down the shutter and repeat. If they're both blurry, speed up the shutter and repeat. There should be a range of shutter speeds around 2-3 stops wide where the OS-on shots are sharp and the OS-off shots are blurry.

I almost bought a Sigma USB Dock but couldn't see a firmware download on the sigma website for this lens so didn't bother :(
Good. The Sigma docks are only useful with their 'Global Vision' lenses, ie the Contemporary, Art and Sports ranges. Your lens design pre-dates these and the dock wouldn't do anything for you.

Why don't you just test it?

Pick a target with high contrast and some fine detail - for example when in the office I use a clock face. With the lens at the 50mm end, set the shutter speed to around 1/20th and adjust the aperture and ISO to get a correct exposure. Shoot with OS on and off, and inspect the images. If they're both sharp, slow down the shutter and repeat. If they're both blurry, speed up the shutter and repeat. There should be a range of shutter speeds around 2-3 stops wide where the OS-on shots are sharp and the OS-off shots are blurry.

Good. The Sigma docks are only useful with their 'Global Vision' lenses, ie the Contemporary, Art and Sports ranges. Your lens design pre-dates these and the dock wouldn't do anything for you.

Thank you for that quick reply, I will try as you suggest, only reason I hadn't was because the battery issue - didn't want to use it too much if I was likely to be returning it. The battery problem happens whether the OS switch is on or off, but if it means that I have to turn camera off after taking pics then I can probably live with that if everything else is OK.

I've also emailed Sigma as I'd read somewhere that they can calibrate the lens at their end, not expecting much but will await their reply before sending back to Amazon.

Thanks again :)

Decided to just send it back, Sigma didn't reply after 5 days, shame because I like their 10-20 lens and was looking forward to using this one :(

You couldn't be bothered to test the OS? It would have taken you 5 minutes.

You couldn't be bothered to test the OS? It would have taken you 5 minutes.

Sorry I forgot that bit... yes I did, and it wasn't working, followed your instructions. Maybe I just got a bad one. Wouldn't know though as they didn't reply.

Back