Review SIGMA 17-70 DC Macro (Canon Fit)

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought that I'd write a quick review of this lens, seeing as it's quite a popular choice amoungst those looking to upgrade their kit lens.

Firstly, focal length - I think 17-70 is the perfect 'do it all' range on a crop body (don't forget this will not work with full frame sensors) as it produces an acceptable enough wide angle, with a decent mid telephoto useful for grabbing shots of people or objects without needing to be in their face.

Sharpness across the range is excellent (although at its best at around 60mm) and this is a country mile better than the Canon 18-55 'kit' lens. I have found it to be sharper than the 17-85IS lens too, especially at 17mm.

Focus speed. Good enough for me! It's not as fast as the USM equipped Canons, but it's reliable in all but very low light and not too noisy.

Weight / size. Those of us used to the quality and weight of 'L' series lenses may feel wary of such a light (in comparison) lens, but it's much more substantial than the kit lens offerings from the big two (or four!) and feels excellent to the touch, you certainly can't distinguish this from Sigma's flagship 'EX' series glass. It's the perfect weight and size to remain on the camera when in most camera bags and doesn't attract too much attention when hanging from the neck at events.

Build. Excellent quality with a solid feel that inspires confidence.

Overall image quality. EXCELLENT - Great sharpness, contrast and 'feel', even in 'Macro' mode which whilst not quite in the dedicated macro lens league is certainly good enough for many.

Overall Rating: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. The perfect upgrade for someone looking for a quality replacement for their kit lens, or a backup for their professional grade glass. Sigma have created a real gem in this lens.

I could not agree more, having bought this off condyk when he upgraded to a full frame body, I absolutely love it. I spent a while with the kit lens, and had some good results, but this is just an all round more pleasing lens, I especially like the extra length it affords you. I am yet to print/enlarge my photos, but having dome some extensive cropping, results are looking good so far.

I third this. I have had mine for just over a year and couldn't be more pleased.

Good lens, great IQ, nice bokeh when you need it, macro is good (1:2.3 ratio I think), good size and not too heavy. Focus is quick (albeit a little noisy though not overpowering). Looks nice on a 400D & 40D :)

Always please with mine when I had it, good focal length for a walkabout. However, I swapped it for the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for the constant 2.8 through the range

The Nikon fit version is excellent too - it outperforms even the excellent 18-70 DX on the long end.

lots of good reviews here. I bought this lens as an upgrade to my 18-55mm that came with my 400D.

After taking some comparison shots between the 2 lenses I found that the sigma did not perform as well as the canon lens, I was really surprised considering the reviews.

I took it back to jessops and got a refund. Did not fancy another copy so got a canon 17-85 instead which i have been very happy with.

It may have just been bad luck?

I've just bought one... can't wait for it to arrive now. Been needing a general purpose lens without spending too much and I think this will do nicely for a year or two.

I'm considering this lens as an all-round-walk-about lens when I upgrade to a 40D. I was advised that the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 is a better lens, for the same kinda money, which threw me a bit as to what to choose. I'm still a bit 50/50, but going off some of these reviews, I think the sigma might be the one to choose, after all, i've got the nifty-fifty for those uber bokeh shot's, I just need something that's going to suffice for anything I fancy snapping with it, like a normal kit lens would.

Great lens, still enjoy using it although I have upgraded to a Canon 17-55.

loved it for the very short time that i had it and i would definitly reconsider it if i cant afford a 24-70 f2.8

Had this lens for over a year now and it is great, if they offered an IS version or a faster one then i'd upgrade to that. 24mm seems too wide on crop for me

This is an excellent lens with a very useful range and great macro capability. Superior to all kit lenses regardless of make.

The Nikon fit version is excellent too - it outperforms even the excellent 18-70 DX on the long end.

I'll second that... Absolutely fab lens for what it costs. One of Sigma's best in terms of value. No qualms about performance when I need to take something lighter than the 28-70 (y)

exactly what one needs to read when they've only just purchased a Sigma 17-70mm DC online yesterday themselves. Wahoo :banana:

btw Little Man, i was looking at the Tamron range too but the Sigma's heavier build literally outweighed the Tamrons ;)

Can't argue with the OP's findings (albeit I have the Sony version) and that it does feel like an EX rather than just a standard finish.

I upgraded to this lens from the 18-55 kit lens and I totally agree with your review.

It outperforms the 18-55 and its far more versatile, especially when you take into account the macro ability.

I cant think of any better option for people looking to upgrade their kit lens.

Tried a few Sigma lenses such as the 18-50mm ex, 24-70mm and just this weekend the 18-50mm OS (the last one is not a fair comparison because I got a terrible sample)

Got to say the best of the lot is the 17-70mm and can't really fault it especially given the reasonable cost.
Would be great if it was a constant f2.8 or even better stabilised, but there again if it ain't broke don't fix it

Is this a stupid comment or does anyone else find that (whilst I love the lens out and about) it is almost useless in low light? It spends ages trying to focus before occasionally managing it and taking a pic!

What is the best price people paid for this lens please, I am looking to upgrade from my kit lens (Canon 450d).

Back