Sigma 500mm f4

Edit My Images
No
Hi, first time posting but unique question I would imagine.

I currently shoot wildlife and birds with my Nikon d7500 and sigma 150-600mm C. I am happy with the sharpness of the 150-600mm and gives a good IQ.

I recently purchased a used sigma 500mm f4 but it had an AF issue so returned it. The AF was acting erratic and when investigating using a calibration target it appeared to be both back and front focusing at the same focus length. I was getting a very poor keeper rate compared to the 150-600mm. I am happy with the sharpness of the 150-600mm and gives a good IQ.

Any way, I bought the lens as it is the closest I will be able to afford to the exotic Nikon 500mm f4, the image quality shallow depth of field and quality bokeh appeal to me and of course the better low light performance. I also was looking for a more solidly constructed lens that is weather sealed.

I am aware that the Sigma 500mm f4's AF will not perform as well as the Nikon 500mm f4 but should out perform the sigma 150-600mm should it not?

So I considered buying a new Sigma 500mmf4. I understand some people have said the AF performs poorly (probably compared to the Nikon f4) and issues with focus shift. Would it be a risk to try a new copy of the lens or should I assume there could well be a issue with AF? This would be used with my d7500.

Or, I have considered purchasing a Nikon d850, and a sigma 150 600 sport (the sport for robustness and weather sealing that is important.) The reason I thought this is due to the d850s low light capabilities and reportedly awesome AF system and 46mp sensor. I also do macro photography and own a sigma 105mm f2.8 HSM which is DX format. I believe the d850 has a focus stacking feature that really appeals to me. I am not sure how the 105mm dx will work with the FX sensor.

Above all, the Sigma 500 f4 is what I really would like but not at the expense of a poorly focusing lens.

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Back