Sigma 50mm 1.4 art..worth the £££

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking to get a decent 50mm as just not using the 85mm and find it too long for my use most the time.Anyone here using one?.Contemplated another nikon 50mm 1.8g but the sigma does look good!

Yes, superb lens. The 50G doesn't come close unless you need something small and light.

To me the extremely narrow field of view on a 1.4 is not worth the extra cash over the 1.8 of which there are many great examples around and very cheap too.

The Sigma is sharper wide open across the frame with less CA than the G is at f2.8. Its not just about the shallowest DOF but that is a big part (for me).

If you don't mind the size, weight and cost then the sigma is frankly brilliant much like the 35mm f1.4 which I would have in an instant if it wasn't massive!

Hope so mate if it's as good as reviews say my 85mm 1.8 and 40mm micro will be in classifieds lol.

Last edited:
lol lids still on but will be off later when I fire the bbq up! not sure whybut on here image looks soft yet on flickr its fine?

Very nice Shaheed...My sample was bang on with regards to focus also.Its quite a large lens but well worth the extra heft..is yours the art version?

Last edited:
I didnt go for the dock but luckily mine was good wide open.The 24mm looks very nice.You have far to much money lol

Hardly.

The dock was bundled with the 50. Handy for updating the firmware and setting AF at various focus distances.

You're welcome to borrow it should you ever need to mate. (y)
Lol. Cheers for that mate very generous offer much appreciated. Where did you get it bundled with the dock? Also how much?

It is. I love how good it is wide open!
It certainly is! I'm very impressed with it. Feel free to share as many pics as you like on this thread, I looked but couldn't find a 50mm art thread.

Lol. Cheers for that mate very generous offer much appreciated. Where did you get it bundled with the dock? Also how much?

It certainly is! I'm very impressed with it. Feel free to share as many pics as you like on this thread, I looked but couldn't find a 50mm art thread.

I've been using it for self portraits but the Nikon WMU app isn't great for focussing!

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463771264.433919.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463771310.501255.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463771367.171757.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463771403.190622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463771448.199590.jpg

lol think you should buy yourself a nice 85mm 1.8g to tide you over,funny enough i have one!

I hate odd numbers round it up to 4 and I'll throw in a pack of hob nobs!

@minnnt the 35, for me is just a great focal length, smaller lens, super sharp and live the rendering. I bought the 35 feeling a bit meh about it but completely changed my mind within a minute of using it.

The 50 works better for me portrait wise, especially since I've sold my 85.....missing it now!

Back