Sigma 50mm 1.4 art..worth the £££

Dunno, just didn't have the buzz to do so. Meh.

I'm a bit like that at the mo. Had a few friends round yesterday with their kids. Didn't get the camera out once. Maybe I should have as it may have stemmed the flow of gin/fizz and I'd feel slightly more alive today [emoji38]

Just 'optimized' the lens. It's a bit of a faff but wow, it's a pretty clever gizmo. It allows you to alter 4 focus distances, 0.4, 0.7, 1.5 and infinity. All of them are different and there would be no way that any kind of in camera micro adjust would be able to rectify the indifference between each focus distance. Pretty swish.

the dock does seem good but I would probably balls it right up!

Just 'optimized' the lens. It's a bit of a faff but wow, it's a pretty clever gizmo. It allows you to alter 4 focus distances, 0.4, 0.7, 1.5 and infinity. All of them are different and there would be no way that any kind of in camera micro adjust would be able to rectify the indifference between each focus distance. Pretty swish.

Does it work with all sigmas or just the newer art/contemporary/sports?

This thread has made me AARRRGGGHHHHH a little.

I've been looking at affordable lenses for the D610 to make it more of a walk-around camera, but without success: so far the only lenses I've been happy with are an old AI 28 3.5 nikkor and a Samyang 85 1.4 from a certain gentleman in this thread. Had a 50 1.8G that wasn't great and a Tamron that's poo (and a few others) I'm now wondering if it's going to be my 'formal photography' camera and for travel I'll keep using my Sony with a Zeiss 16-80 and 50 1.4. I'd love a couple of ART lenses, just to cement that idea, but there's no way the bank is going to fund that!

This thread has made me AARRRGGGHHHHH a little.

I've been looking at affordable lenses for the D610 to make it more of a walk-around camera, but without success: so far the only lenses I've been happy with are an old AI 28 3.5 nikkor and a Samyang 85 1.4 from a certain gentleman in this thread. Had a 50 1.8G that wasn't great and a Tamron that's poo (and a few others) I'm now wondering if it's going to be my 'formal photography' camera and for travel I'll keep using my Sony with a Zeiss 16-80 and 50 1.4. I'd love a couple of ART lenses, just to cement that idea, but there's no way the bank is going to fund that!

I miss the samyang!!

This is what my older 50mm Sigma desperately needed.
You could fine tune it with micro focus but it really wanted a different setting for close and far so compromise required - though it wasn't far out if you needed to be sure it was best to focus it manually below about 2.0

Got a new toy from the kids....neewer ringflash adaptors. Going to use it for macro mainly but tested it tonight with the sigma 50mm art.

Wide open selfie,so may not be bang on focus wise!!!ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464477518.764564.jpg

All done via the iPhone.

Last edited:
@minnnt I think this will be handy for macro and the occasional portrait. I really want to use it with an 85.....apparently sigma is releasing the art in Aug/September. ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464507940.469324.jpg

Excuse the iPhone pic and the mess in our wardrobe.

Bloody hell that's huge! I do like the effect though along with the catchlight.

Seen the Yongnuo YN360's? I reckon they could prove to be fun.

It is fabric though and goes pretty flat

I was surprised at the size though!!

I've only seen canon fit yongnuo ones on Amazon. They did look good though.

Used my 50 Art in anger for the first time yesterday (wedding), silly sharp even wide open and AF was absolutely rock solid all day long. For £300 I have no complaints whatsoever, even the balance felt good on the D750.

I think the 35 Art has a bit more 'feel' to it though, it may just be the focal length but the 50 feels awfully clinical where the 35 just renders scenes in such a nice way.

May ditch the 28 and 50 and just go with a 35, at the price I paid for the 50 I have no concerns about losing out.

Used my 50 Art in anger for the first time yesterday (wedding), silly sharp even wide open and AF was absolutely rock solid all day long. For £300 I have no complaints whatsoever, even the balance felt good on the D750.

I think the 35 Art has a bit more 'feel' to it though, it may just be the focal length but the 50 feels awfully clinical where the 35 just renders scenes in such a nice way.

May ditch the 28 and 50 and just go with a 35, at the price I paid for the 50 I have no concerns about losing out.

I totally agree with this. I used the 35 and the 50 this weekend (2 of each below.....but I do really like the way the 35 performs!)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464557478.450420.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464557496.552687.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464557516.769353.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464557584.908376.jpg

And one with the 50 from a while ago

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1464557606.058808.jpg

When I get my camera back I need to give the Nikon 35mm a real good test before I decide if its a keeper or go for the Sigma. Review/views are really split!

Has anyone moved to the 50mm Art lens from the previous Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens? The previous lens seemed to get mixed reviews online but I never knew anyone who had one. Now the Art version is out the second hand value of the previous version have dropped... If so - is the previous version any good in your opinion? I'm into fashion/portraiture if that makes any difference

Has anyone moved to the 50mm Art lens from the previous Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens? The previous lens seemed to get mixed reviews online but I never knew anyone who had one. Now the Art version is out the second hand value of the previous version have dropped... If so - is the previous version any good in your opinion? I'm into fashion/portraiture if that makes any difference

Its very good, if you find a good copy, pita to find a goodun.

I had the old Sigma 50mm and I thought it was very good. I tested mine against my Canon 50mm f2.5 and the Sigma was better at every aperture the Canon could match and pretty sharp at f1.4 too and only bettered by the excellent Sigma 85mm.

My little review doesn't help too much with Art v the old 50mm except to say that assuming the 50mm Art is better than the old 50mm it must be outstanding as the old lens was at the time arguably the best 50mm for Canon or Nikon mount. I don't remember a single review placing any Canon 50mm ahead of it.

I always take internet reports of focusing errors with a pinch of salt, I never had a problem with the Sigma 50 or 85mm f1.4.

I had the old Sigma 50mm and I thought it was very good. I tested mine against my Canon 50mm f2.5 and the Sigma was better at every aperture the Canon could match and pretty sharp at f1.4 too and only bettered by the excellent Sigma 85mm.

My little review doesn't help too much with Art v the old 50mm except to say that assuming the 50mm Art is better than the old 50mm it must be outstanding as the old lens was at the time arguably the best 50mm for Canon or Nikon mount. I don't remember a single review placing any Canon 50mm ahead of it.

I always take internet reports of focusing errors with a pinch of salt, I never had a problem with the Sigma 50 or 85mm f1.4.

Lol and how many copies did you own / try?

Last edited:
Lol and how many copies did you own / try?
lol indeed.

I suppose the difference between us is I use my cameras and lenses to take pictures with. That's what they're for. Granted I do pixel peep :D but I'm not the total gear head obsessive you seem to be.

These days with MA there should be fewer reasons to reject a lens unless you want to pixel peep the corners at 100% plus but instead of that why don't you take some real world pictures Twist?

Plenty of my pictures with the 50mm in the 5D thread. Where are yours?

Last edited:
lol indeed.

I suppose the difference between us is I use my cameras and lenses to take pictures with. That's whatbthey're for. Granted I do pixel peep :D but I'm not the total gear head obsessive you seem to be.

These days with MA there should be fewer reasons to reject a lens unless yiu want to pixel peep the corners at 100% plus but instead of that why don't you take some real world pictures Twist?

Really, aren't you always moaning that you don't take photos? Or am I confused with another @woof woof. :D

Don't say that this lens hasn't got severe sample variation when there are loads of reports of it, just because you got a decent one. Your statistic consists of 1 copy that was good. Ive owned a few in various mounts because its such a good lens (if you get a good copy) but a large percentage were out of the MA range, 99% of my shooting is wide open, you stop down pretty much all the time so maybe you never noticed...... you have a lot to say about MA never owning a camera with it.

Brian, if you want a few Sigma non Art 50mm raw shots to play with pm my your email and I'll drop box you some.

Really, aren't you always moaning that you don't take photos? Or am I confused with another @woof woof. :D

What the f...?

Twist. I'm a full time carer and that can be a 24/7 job, I sometimes don't even get to bed until 4am so although photography is my no.1 hobby it has to take 3rd place behind the caring I do and spending time with my gf. I do however get out once or twice a week and for half a day or a day a couple of times a month and even with that limited time I still post more pictures than you :D

I've never really worried too much about internet panic, if anyone is worried buy from a good seller. The old Sigma 50mm is a good lens, maybe not to Art standards but good.

Last edited:
What the f...?

Twist. I'm a full time carer and that can be a 24/7 job, I sometimes don't even get to bed until 4am so although photography is my no.1 hobby it has to take 3rd place behind the caring I do and spending time with my gf. I do however get out once for twice a week and for half a day or a day a couple of times a month and even with thst limited time I still post more pictures than you :D

I've never really worried too much about internet panic, if anyone is worried buy from a good seller. The old Sigma 50mm is a good lens, maybe not to Art standards but good.

I fully understand your commitments, I also have long days, but youre making the assumption that I don't use my camera because I don't share all my photos (as you can see Ive taken a lot with this lens), how do you know you post more than me, youre not involved in the camera threads I am besides the A7 thread and most of my stuff (90%) is people related and I have to respect peoples privacy so I only post my randoms ;)

I never said it wasn't a good lens, I said it was a fantastic lens.... if you get a good copy.

Ordered the dock today.....seemed like a sensible investment as the next two lenses I want are an 85 art and maybe the 150-600 sport....eventually!!

Back