Sigma 50mm 1.4 art..worth the £££

Now I want one! Even though it is far too big and expensive!

The move seems to be towards high mp count cameras and if people are going to use them and pixel peep (and they will) we'll need high quality lenses that are good across the frame even wide open and that means big heavy expensive lenses.

The move seems to be towards high mp count cameras and if people are going to use them and pixel peep (and they will) we'll need high quality lenses that are good across the frame even wide open and that means big heavy expensive lenses.

The Nikon 1.8g was great stopped down to f2 on my d800 though. Not as good as the sigma , but then you balance other factors like cost/weight etc

The Nikon 1.8g was great stopped down to f2 on my d800 though. Not as good as the sigma , but then you balance other factors like cost/weight etc

Yup. Personally I like more compact kit and I'd consider just the good enough solution rather than the bigger state of the art solution, but... there's no denying that the thought of owning state of the art kit can be rather alluring :D Who'd have thought that Sigma would be producing some of the most desirable lenses on sale :D

Yup. Personally I like more compact kit and I'd consider just the good enough solution rather than the bigger state of the art solution, but... there's no denying that the thought of owning state of the art kit can be rather alluring :D Who'd have thought that Sigma would be producing some of the most desirable lenses on sale :D

I do occasionally miss the Nikon 50 1.8g - size was brilliant. And I used it mainly at f2.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1463810887.894626.jpg

Fortunately I can even less afford a high mega pixel body than I can a 50mm art! My 5d mkii seems to be worth next to nothing so my chances of trading up aren't good! I love smaller kit as well I have a 35mm f2 IS almost permanently on my camera which is a great balance of speed, sharpness and weight!

Yeah mine seems fine thank god as no focus adjust on the 5500 so would have meant the dock as an additional purchase or send it off to sigma.

Thought it was a dud tbh but it seems ok now. Luckily yours wasn't like that other wise you'd be needing the dock too!

Roll on the 24!

It may be his camera was well out so he's compensated on the lens. Leaving it to be quite far out on yours.

Must say I keep thinking about this lens. I love the 50 1.8G around the house for quick snaps, but the weight of it certainly helps. I've really got into the FL too even though I generally opt for the 35. I am quite loathe to buy another sigma after too many issues in the past, but the overwhelming opinion seems to be that they've sorted most of the QC issues out with the Art range.

Need a 24-70 first so may have to be next in que but I do like the look of this lens.

Last edited:
Hopefully the thread will gain some pace and we will see some more great shots from this lens.

Back